Crystal Palace manager

Mick

They need to bloody announce this so I can stop having to start my morning conversations by saying "is he gone yet?"

Got a glass of red wine waiting as soon as the announcement is made since I didn't have a celebratory tipple the other day.

Lawro on... what next for Newcastle?

"Everybody now knows how things work under Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, so it will be very interesting to see who is the next Magpies manager. The first thing to consider is that it has to be somebody who will work to a budget, and also somebody willing to accept that if a bid comes in for one of your best players then he will be sold.

"They need to appoint somebody who is used to that, and who has a record of bringing in Championship players and turning them into top-class players. It screams David Moyes to me. At Everton he produced some very good teams, reduced their debt and ran the club extremely well."

Er... :lol:

At which mythical club is that not the case? Every club works to a budget. Every player is available at the right price.

What is different at Newcastle is that cup competitions are seen as a dangerous distraction to be exited at the earliest possible opportunity. However, that view seems to me to have been driven by Pardew and his continuous excuses about the Europa League affecting the team's league results (despite the fact that his Europa teams were made up almost entirely of reserve / youth players).

Over the last four years my love for almost everything to do with that club has diminished to a level where I resented winning, each point was another piece of paper over the cracks of mediocrity.

I disliked it because I knew he’d be happy, vindicated in his selection of runners and jumpers ahead of passers and players. Whatever your belief on this apparent torturous regime that prevented him from blossoming into the super-nobody manager he was before, then understand he was complicit in it all. Unsackable to the end despite performance.

That’s not to say I wanted us to lose, more that it had all become emotionless and irrelevant as we hurtled towards mid-table, joyless and drunk.

But without him I can already feel hope instead of the motions I was going through, I’d become a dial-it-in fan, done talking about the multitude of problems from boardroom to pitch. I struggled to criticise players because I wasn’t sure if they were that bad or simply the product of our other-era coach. It all became pointless.

It made discourse an inconvenience, selective breeding a group with which I could feel comfortable talking about our woes. ignoring those that believed he was the right man because their brain clearly worked differently to mine. I began to dwell on all that was wrong as they enjoyed the small victories. I should feel justified now, but there are those that remain in his corner despite the statistical shortcomings.

We’ve had debate about whether we’d prefer cup progress or a derby victory, a trophy or stay in the Premier League? I’ll take both please, like others before us. As it was we got none of these things. Concerns about Stevenage not playing midweek through to the curse of the Europa league, there was always an excuse with Alan that his honesty and thus his character was rightly questioned. It’s difficult to love a fool when they always lose at Fulham, as the saying goes.

It was never about being demanding through delusion, but always, always about wanting to be better than you currently are. You can’t win every game but you can try. It was the opposite with Pardew, we got pre-game excuses about preparation time and then wonder why the players looked liked they were excused. We got anything but belief in ourselves while he patted his own back. The atmosphere from St. James’ is as void as Gouffran’s position as we lazily wait for a bad refereeing decision to stir the viewers. He has wilfully  participated in the deconstruction of Newcastle United to comply with the owner’s vision, a stadium that blinks in unison to his red and blue graffiti.

It just so happens he’s from London, he replaced another Londoner and we liked him. That myth is stronger today more than ever, even from local media who should know better, especially as that claim often sits alongside the 10 months, 12 months and 18 month bad spells we’ve had depending on when they think we sold Cabaye. Whatever their timescale for his poor run, none of these include the 12 months before that in which we nearly got relegated.

We didn’t choose him, just like we never chose or sacked any previous manager, and I’m not sure those defending him now were overjoyed with his appointment even though his record has changed little. For me, he’s actually worse than previously thought.

But the thought of him not being here is a beautiful thing. Whether or not we get that exciting, young, foreign coach to replace him can’t currently dilute the fact I care about winning again. Trophies are for those other teams, not us, but good or bad just give me something to shout about, because for two years I’ve been sleepwalking to this day.

Thanks for nothing Alan.

http://onbarrackroad.tumblr.com/