Rémi Garde and the case of the missing art galleries

Nobody

Guest chicken little

didn't Ryder get some award last month too? That would say a lot about sports journalism if true

got a pulitzer!

All these remi talks are a smokescreen for the guy they really want.

This

Have they ever actually done that? i see people say that a lot but I can't remember any examples of it

You can see it being useful with players you want to sign but managers? Especially this time of year. I guess it might make sense if you are speaking to someone that is already in a job but in this case it would only really serve to piss off the press, fans and remi garde lol.

..unless it's Ashley's end game. Build up supporters hopes to a garde or Tuchel before hiring David o'leary on an 8 year contract then selling the club. Guess who wins again.

Can't see these other candidates being as much of a mystery if true. Think it's Garde we are just giving a few mixed messages or maybe as per norm no messages to keep the press guessing while we take time ironing things out with garde.

Guest Bert Shaft

Lawrie Sanchez spotted in Newcastle.  :frantic:

Oops sorry, I was just having a nightmare which startled me and woke me up.  :naughty:

Lawrie Sanchez spotted in Newcastle.  :frantic:

Oops sorry, I was just having a nightmare which startled me and woke me up.  :naughty:

We should round up those usual suspects and lock them in a dungeon until this blows over and we appoint someone. We could host a shit football managers roundtable.

Managing director Lee Charnley and chief scout Graham Carr have spent the last week drawing up a list of possible successors to Alan Pardew and then whittling it down to those they believe could do the job.

The successful candidate will have to persuade Charnley and Carr, who have been handed the responsibility of identifying and securing Pardew's successor by club owner Mike Ashley, that they can both work under the club's "continental" structure and take the team forward.

So fucking happy when I read this stuff, because I feel that it is basically Carr picking them and Charnley convincing Mike whoever they pick is worth it.  Really don't expect us to end up with Carver or some no mark.

Think I've let hope get the better of me...it's been a while!!

The last few moves we have made have been logical. This one would be, too. We know Ashley is indifferent to the success of the club, assuming we stay up. He doesn't really care if we finish 5th or 17th. However, that isn't the same thing as actively wanting the club to be mediocre. Truthfully it will be to his benefit if we are successful; and to be successful within his ownership style we need a certain type of head coach.

We were stuck with a charlatan clinging to this job with every fibre of his being to the detriment of any excitement or ambition.

We have been given a huge lifeline by Palace. The logical move for Ashley now is to appoint someone who will jump at the chance to prove themselves in this job, while also - crucially - accommodating the European style setup we have.

To me, that narrows down the candidates greatly and ensures we will get a hungry manager. Garde is the obvious choice but perhaps Clement would work, too. Doubt Tuchel or de Boer are in the frame mostly because we have good candidates readily available.

We can be a larger version of Southampton with bigger pulling power. Over a few years of consistent work, that could put us in an enviable position especially if any instability in world markets causes the petro-owners to have to pull back their investment in football.

Obviously we f*** things up spectacularly all the time. But in this case everything logically points to an appointment, probably Garde but perhaps another, who will move the club forward on the pitch. That's all I can ask for now.

Agree with Memphis, we may be fortunate in the fact that the set-up would put off some of the British relics, cloggers and has-beens who might otherwise have been interested in the job.

If we avoid any of those, I'd be satisfied tbh.

Sick of British mediocre managers being touted. Have my fingers crossed for Garde.

It really feels like to me if we make an outside appointment it'll be a good one. All the listed candidates recently have been high calibre respected foreign coaches who perfectly fit our model. The thing that terrifies me is that they could go for the cheap gamble with Carver. That's the biggest risk to this appointment being a good one I think. I could see Carver making Pardew look like Mourinho by the time he's done. The media would love that as well. "See! Look what an amazing job Pards has done there." I think that would drive me insane. We need someone good and hopefully the talks with Garde go well.

Agree with Memphis, we may be fortunate in the fact that the set-up would put off some of the British relics, cloggers and has-beens who might otherwise have been interested in the job.

If we avoid any of those, I'd be satisfied tbh.

Sick of British mediocre managers being touted. Have my fingers crossed for Garde.

Well that depends there are plenty of said cloggers and maybe a few sound mangers that would both be interested in the job and willing to work within the structure, even though they don't agree with it, or harbour delusions that in time they could change the boards mind. My worry would be accepting one of those names when it's only going to create friction or excuses further down the line.

Would be delighted with clement as well tbh.