NUFC finances

Paully

The big question for us though is how do these figures effect our spending power in the summer. It doesn't look very promising if you take the numbers as a truthful representation of where we are. The only reason we are in the black is because of the Cabaye sale. Since we already spent this profit in the summer of 14, then the only way we have to build our transfer kitty is from the sales since then, hopefully that includes Debuchy's 10mill. 5 mill for MYM, 2 mill from Santon. It's at best 17mill for the summer recruitment. Wow we are screwed, since there is so much work to be done on this squad.

Said before.  I now think we're at £5m as the kitty for this summer.  Basically Our operating Profit.  It'll actually be lower because we're going to finish lower in the league so broadcasting income will be down too.

£18.7m profits reported in 13/14 and I make it an 18.6m net spend in 14/15 up to and including the sale of Santon.

The way we sell our players it'll be Sissoko 10 mill, Tiote 3mill and probably Perez 5mill and maybe Krul for 5mill. Bringing it to a healthy 40 mill !! but of course now with a lot more holes than the holes we had before in the squad.

The big question for us though is how do these figures effect our spending power in the summer. It doesn't look very promising if you take the numbers as a truthful representation of where we are. The only reason we are in the black is because of the Cabaye sale. Since we already spent this profit in the summer of 14, then the only way we have to build our transfer kitty is from the sales since then, hopefully that includes Debuchy's 10mill. 5 mill for MYM, 2 mill from Santon. It's at best 17mill for the summer recruitment. Wow we are screwed, since there is so much work to be done on this squad.

Said before.  I now think we're at £5m as the kitty for this summer.  Basically Our operating Profit.  It'll actually be lower because we're going to finish lower in the league so broadcasting income will be down too.

£18.7m profits reported in 13/14 and I make it an 18.6m net spend in 14/15 up to and including the sale of Santon.

Wow so we have 5 mill to spend in the summer ? Unless we sell more players ? Wow !!

Not sure whow this squad value depreciation works.

Across 13/14 NUFC disposed of the registrations for Harper, Simpson, Perch, Cabaye, Gosling, Shola and Tavernier.

Added Perez and Kemen.

Could you convince HMRC that constitutes a £25m cost to your squad value?

Or are we saying that linear amortisation on the likes of Coloccini, Obertan, Anita, Gouffran etc is clearly far too optimistic so their values should be dropped to a more realistic level?

Or a combination of both.

I don't really understand. Surely if we've already accounted for the value of these players over the life of their contracts (amortisation/depreciation) then it's a bit tricky to suddenly write off another big chunk of their value, and put it down as a cost for this specific year? Nee idea.

Wow so we have 5 mill to spend in the summer ? Unless we sell more players ? Wow !!

I have no idea honestly. 

My view has always been informed by the 2011 mission statement and the actions that have followed it.  The club said it will spend what it can afford to spend without Ashley putting money in, and it has done (unfortunately, while impairing the club revenue by stealing advertising space and retail profits from it - but claiming to be maximising it by refusing free tickets to players families and ex-players or sacking off one of our most committed players because he got cancer etc.)

Taking the profits at face value would suggests we would have £5m to spend next season without selling, but the accounting tricks used to lower income could be disguising a good size cash balance.  We'll find out in a couple of days I suppose.

This isn't a dig but weren't you recently saying that you expected us to spend plenty in the summer and have plenty stored away for January?  What's changed to make the budget £5m?  Simply down to lower profits than expected (which seems to be a by-product of this mystery hike in costs)?

As bad as the league is, if the club spends just 5 million and persists with Carver, I think NUFC will be looking at anywhere between 16th and 19th next season IMO.

I think 16th or 17th is highly ambitious of you, no way we would survive a full season of Carver even with 20 mill spent.

As bad as the league is, if the club spends just 5 million and persists with Carver, I think NUFC will be looking at anywhere between 16th and 19th next season IMO.

its the carver thing I'd worry about, a halfway competent manager and regardless of spend we won't be in relegation trouble by the sheer number of diabolical teams in the league (football continues to impress me in its ability to be incompetent given increases in money should make teams better not miles worse)

Guest KingShearer

We could buy Ozil, and Carver could still relegate the side, dropping him for his poor defensive work or something

This isn't a dig but weren't you recently saying that you expected us to spend plenty in the summer and have plenty stored away for January?  What's changed to make the budget £5m?  Simply down to lower profits than expected (which seems to be a by-product of this mystery hike in costs)?

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,96459.msg5476555.html#msg5476555

:)

We always had to change approach this year.  I'm always an optimist, so thought the change of approach would be better manager, better class of player, more depth.  Keep spending what we could afford to grow.

Turns out, the change in approach is to cook the books to within an inch of legality in order to report as little profit as is possible while continuing to buy only the cheapest players that have the smallest chance of dropping in value any further.

:(

Think that would be highly dependent on who is sold as well. I can't see us doing well for a season relying on Perez alone, for example.

I find plenty to criticise Ashley for, without criticising him for what he might or might not do.

I always assume he's going to do what benefits him and sorts direct the most and Newcastle united second.

In terms of spending club earnings, Ashley, SD and NUFC all benefit greatest from the club investing all it can in players and coaching.

I agree. I just don't think that's how he will see it, or he would have started doing it already.

Paying off his £29m first would back you up.

What reason was there for him to repay that beyond a stubborn principle that he had said he wasn't putting any more in after the Keegan affair?

I think he'll stick to that though and stop repayments with the £29m satisfied.

Why? :lol:

It's an assumption as I said. I'm far more likely to believe he'll start pumping excess cash into anything but the playing squad unless we find ourselves in danger again. I firmly believe that they want us to actively avoid cup runs and European qualification in favour of the bare minimum that guarantees a place on the Premier League gravy train. Based on 7 years or so of evidence, and reading their bullshit about 5 year plans to become the next Arsenal or Villa or whoever suited them at the time.

I understand that you think you've spotted a trend and am always interested to read an argument that is built on solid analytical grounding, but in this case I don't think your guess is better than mine or anyone else's. Who's to say he won't start using excess cash after the initial loan is paid off to pay off the remainder of his loan or do whatever he likes with it for that matter? Not you, not me, not anyone but the fat, evil, unpredictable cunt that's done whatever he likes since he stepped through the door.

Assume the best all you like, but forgive me for assuming the worst.

PS you said that this financial trend you'd spotted was the reason you had no doubt we'd appoint the best candidate as manager, so I'll be interested to hear what you have to say if Carver gets the gig full time or we go into next season with Mike fucking Williamson making 30-plus appearances a season.

Again not a dig like mate, but this was correct then basically.  Any attempt to assume the best was exactly that - an assumption.  At that point nobody knew owt but I'd always be more inclined to assume the worst with this lot.

Clearly I was miles off in predicting the amount of profit, the amount of debt that would be paid off, and the amount that would mean we could spend next summer as a result.  No problem admitting it.  That said, I don't think anyone thought for a second we'd see what we have for the first 2.

My fundamental observation still stands though, about the club spending what it earns, or what it reports as earnings.  Almost to the nearest 100k, I was spot on because the 13/14 profit of £18.7m went on an £18.6m net spend in 14/15.

This seems to remain a priority above paying off the immediate loan as we assumed they would, let alone the long term loan you did.

What does that matter though, if the costs have inexplicably risen by £30m or whatever it is.  We'll have to see how the costs are broken down I suppose but if there's anything dodgy or creative or whatever you want to call it going on then I wouldn't say we're spending what we bring in at all. 

We'll see, but like everyone else I can't work out how the costs have risen that much.

What does that matter though, if the costs have inexplicably risen by £30m or whatever it is.  We'll have to see how the costs are broken down I suppose but if there's anything dodgy or creative or whatever you want to call it going on then I wouldn't say we're spending what we bring in at all. 

We'll see, but like everyone else I can't work out how the costs have risen that much.

The hope is that we've seen hard cash come in and we've written it off as a profit with "paper" costs and we have a much healthier bank balance than we've ever had before.

If we don't have a good wedge in the bank then I'll totally dumbfounded by the black hole it's disappeared into.