NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

25 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Not sure it’s as simple as people ‘getting over themselves’ tbf.  It isn’t a good look, and it is only going provoke a response.  Besides, having spent a year and a bit ‘proving’ separation, the club are opening up to potential issues should the noise become so great that the PL / govt intervenes.  Not a smart move at all.

On another point I’ve seen elsewhere - one of the usual defences offered up in the past is that the PIF also invest in Disney / Uber / name of another brand.  But they don’t expect the Disney logo to have the shahada written underneath it. This is all completely unnecessary and the response was always going to happen - and for those who absolutely love every part of this takeover, it should be remembered that this isn’t a ‘fixed’ settlement between the PL, PIF and NUFC - the KSA govt is meant to have nowt to do with us.  Bedecking the team in the national strip of KSA is potentially opening them up to further questions.  This is honestly one of the stupidest decisions I’ve seen by NUFC since … well, there were so many under Ashley it’s hard to keep track 

Have I missed where they have added the shahada to the away kit? 

22 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Have I missed where they have added the shahada to the away kit? 

No, the point is the ‘whatabouttery’ by sections of the NUFC support suggesting that this is the same as the PIF’s investments in Disney etc.  The difference is that the PIF aren’t attempting to modify Disney to suit their own ends - and the shadada reference was not intended to be Islamophobic, but a reference to its being a part of the flag of KSA

47 minutes ago, Nine said:

Just for the record - PSG had a Qatar coloured away kit. Chelsea had an away kit with the Russian flag on the collar a few years ago.

Where was this outrage then?

Personally I dont give a shit about politics, I wont spend one minute of my time or energy to go out of my way and think about it. However its clear to me that this controversial away shirt theme is not a new thing but when it comes to us its different, on the surface it seems like an absolute over reaction brought on by certain outlets and football personalities. 

I think some of that is fair enough tbh - I do think this is all taking a different character to the Man City/PSG/Chelsea takeovers; it is far more virulent and aimed at NUFC supporters, which is why I don’t think the reaction to this should be heated from our POV - I’m not angry or triggered in any way by the strip; I do though think it is a stupid idea and invites further criticism where none was needed.  It pushes some into a corner where they feel they need to defend the indefensible - ultimately, the club itself has dragged politics into this

36 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, the point is the ‘whatabouttery’ by sections of the NUFC support suggesting that this is the same as the PIF’s investments in Disney etc.  The difference is that the PIF aren’t attempting to modify Disney to suit their own ends - and the shadada reference was not intended to be Islamophobic, but a reference to its being a part of the flag of KSA

Don't worry I know it wasn't an Islamophobic comment, just found it an odd comment since the flag of KSA isn't being added to our strip. I do agree that the whatabouttery doesn't exactly work as it's comparing apples and oranges. PIF for example couldn't change the Disney logo even if they wanted to. 

As for the strip I'm not naive to the clear link between the strip and Saudi national team. I personally find it a strange red line but everybody is different. I think when we accept the investment, the ridding of Ashley, the signing of Bruno, the training ground plans etc then kicking off that there is a link between the away kit and the country of the owners is a bit odd and certainly naive. 

That investment was always going to come at a cost, so far imo a red line hasn't been crossed. Red line for me off the top of my head would be changing our home strip away from black and white, changing the name of the club, renaming the stadium for anything over than revenue benefits etc etc

4 hours ago, Kanji said:

Glad you’re using your brain. I don’t want to ban any colors. But a freshly sensitive and always sensitive greater media will always latch on to a very similar to KSA national team color scheme. So it’s bad move by castore and the club to do it - unless they come out and explain why it’s not bad and why they did it in the face of massive backlash. It’s that simple.

Nobody would have given a fuck if there was a golf Saudi or aramco logo on the kit. The issue is it’s a complete rip on the ksa national team colors. But if you can’t see past that then fair enough. 

for the record I hate the fume and I think the whole thing is stupid. But now it’s out there the right thing to do is pull it or address it. They have not done either yet and that is not sitting well with me. 

I can see past it. I have no issue with it. I accept it and I won’t be boycotting the club. If it triggered me so much then I would. Looking forward to Monday! 

:indi:

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It's a part of the Saudi flag, not part of this new strip so that's being deliberately ingenuous in my book.

Also I don't watch too many of these NUFC youtube channels, but I quite like Alex Hurst's TF one, it's not that long, and it's usually quite funny.

8 hours ago, cubaricho said:

It’s just a shirt, Rory. 

I kind of agree with him about the badge, I think they could have left that unchanged and it wouldn't have spoiled the look of the new shirt too much. But when you find out he's a fervent Chelsea supporter, and probably enjoyed the best years under Abramovich, I just switched off. Fuck off man.

Guest reefatoon
6 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I actually think there's some chance the shirt could be an issue for the odd player. If a player has any moral misgivings about coming to us (I doubt there are many, but there must be some) they might be willing to hold their nose up to the point of wearing a shirt with this implied meaning.

Sorry, but you live in cloud cuckoo land if you think anyone is going to turn us down for that reason like. Major companies and countries deal with Saudi all the time. There is absolutely no way a player is going to turn down signing for a club because of a kit [emoji38] 

The reality is, apart from a tiny spattering of fans, a small collection of journalists and the whole of Sunderland, nobody is really that troubled by it.

Players will be offered money, they will sign and not give any of it a second thought.

25 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Sorry, but you live in cloud cuckoo land if you think anyone is going to turn us down for that reason like. Major companies and countries deal with Saudi all the time. There is absolutely no way a player is going to turn down signing for a club because of a kit [emoji38] 

The reality is, apart from a tiny spattering of fans, a small collection of journalists and the whole of Sunderland, nobody is really that troubled by it.

Players will be offered money, they will sign and not give any of it a second thought.

Okay, if you say so 

I reckon if people are willing to be jailed or throw away careers for their beliefs, there may be the odd player out there who might choose Spurs over Newcastle given the straight choice and the misgivings they might have about coming here (or damage their brand if they’ve got a certain kind of reputation). “¯\_(ツ)_/¯“ 

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Guest reefatoon
7 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Okay, if you say so 

I reckon if people are willing to be jailed or throw away careers for their beliefs, there may be the odd player out there who might choose Spurs over Newcastle given the straight choice and the misgivings they might have about coming here. “¯\_(ツ)_/¯“ 

It just isn’t going to happen. I admire peoples stances, but in reality it’s such a tiny percentage that are actually bothered by all this and they are vocal all the time about it, but it really is such a small percentage, the majority of people just don’t get troubled by it or even care. Players may pick Spurs over us but it won’t have anything to do with owners and colours of strips. 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

It's a part of the Saudi flag, not part of this new strip so that's being deliberately ingenuous in my book.

Also I don't watch too many of these NUFC youtube channels, but I quite like Alex Hurst's TF one, it's not that long, and it's usually quite funny.

Fair enough, not my intent though - more bad analogy than deliberately disingenuous.

The general point was I’ve seen plenty defend the club on the basis that PIF have investments all over - but PIF don’t normally have an agenda beyond making money.  The KSA-style strip shows that this is different from their other investments. 

14 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

Imagine the hillarity if this is the shirt sponsor for next season...

IMG-20220512-164807.jpg

some head will explodes....

Do you know what those fuckers actually do?  Like supporting mass executions?  It’s genuinely not funny mate. 

3 minutes ago, astraguy said:

We've had green & yellow, yellow blue,green,red and blue and orange kits doesn't bother me at all

We have, but you can't argue that this is just a coincidence thing I don't think.

If so, terrible faux Pas