FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

controversial politically but great footballing world cup.

had mates that went out and they loved the atmosphere.

also loads were going to more than one game a day, so the lack of alcohol and the stadia being so close to each also really helped. 

ban alcohol from stadiums at all future world cups?

17 minutes ago, huss9 said:

also loads were going to more than one game a day, so the lack of alcohol and the stadia being so close to each also really helped. 

I honestly don’t understand people who pay a lot of money to go watch football and drink so much that they have to check the score from their phone the following morning.

33 minutes ago, Pata said:

I honestly don’t understand people who pay a lot of money to go watch football and drink so much that they have to check the score from their phone the following morning.

You could apply that same logic to about 90% of social occasions in the British Isles 

56 minutes ago, huss9 said:

I was there. Fourth WC, 7th major tournament, this was by far the worst in terms of atmosphere. I dont drink at matches, but there was a lack of great atmosphere inside as well as outside in my honest opinion.  

So...hosting during the season seems to have a positive impact in terms of quality and intensity. I wonder what we see at the end of the season. Might be a few upsets and tail offs due to this. Even more so restarting and getting back into it. There will be some victims, hopefully not us.

6 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Is there a more beautiful trophy than the World Cup? Just looks incredible, like it’s been hewn out of rock 

Uefa Cup for me but aye it’s lovely, much better than old one n all. 

9 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Is there a more beautiful trophy than the World Cup? Just looks incredible, like it’s been hewn out of rock 

yeah was just saying that to my kids this evening.

a work of art - hewn/chiselled rather than moulded. rought gritty texture rather than smooth glossy shine.

and it seems like the figures are in motion, in unbridled joy and holding up the world.

beautiful.

7 minutes ago, Disco said:

Can’t wait to see the winning captain in 2026 forced to don some some baggy tan chinos and a red cap before lifting the cup. 

Like anyone will be able to afford the extra electricity to watch the trophy presentation.

Fantastic world cup, 1st chance I've had to go in my lifetime, and loved it. Being able to go to multiple games in the same day, organization was brilliant, everyone was so friendly. Brought the family and never felt uncomfortable or unsafe around the stadiums or in the city at night. Also loved that all the stadiums were within an hour, felt like a city hosted the tournament which was great for the atmosphere and mixing with fans from all over the world. 

Understand some people have issues with Qatar which is fair, but the hate for this host country is so over the top, cant help but feel there's some bigoted feelings involved... regardless, looking forward to 2026 here in the US!

Didn't watch a lick of the last one apart from 20' of that mess of a final so can't juge that but that's the best I've seen a fair wedge of since Germany. The quality in 2010 and 2014 wasn't high either. (The Argentina and France teams in 2006 were miles better than these two)

Was probably 50/50 in terms of good/bad games that I caught - e.g. Argentina v Mexico was a shit game in all honesty but engrossing because of the situation and the fans.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Best World Cup final and also the best World Cup I've seen. USA 94 will always remain my favourite as it's the one I can properly remember and also didn't really have a team that I badly wanted to win whereas the latter stages of this was nerves as I wanted Messi to win it. 

I am looking forward to the 2026 World Cup as it's back to the first one I remember but FIFA need to get the format right otherwise it will be a mess and potentially very dull. 

Yeah I don't think this will be the last winter World Cup. Worked out fine really.

I'm hoping that the World Cups of the future will follow the model we're seeing in 2026, with them being shared across multiple countries.

The practice of building stadiums that immediately become useless once the tournament ends has to stop.

It's been really difficult for me during the tournament to pick between the actual legitimate criticisms of Qatar in terms of its laws and moral code (which there are many) and the stuff that has just come across as bitter European exceptionalism. Found journalists really annoying at times to be honest. 

The point about Qatar spending £200 billion on the World Cup for example and having X carbon footprint from constructions costs. That's obviously a misnomer designed to shock. You can't include state capital infrastructure projects like a new metro, an airport runway, major highways and new residential areas in a World Cup budget. That's just silly. This is all stuff Qatar has planned to build anyway as its population balloons. The World Cup just fitted into that existing development plan. The long term use of stadiums is the obvious caveat (and this is the major expense which should be calculated - along with all the PR expenditure) but at least they are planning to make most of them mixed use sites within development areas after the tournament.

I actually don't think a continent wide tournament is that good an idea. Doha was too small, and accomodation squeeze caused excessive flights to be needed from neighbouring countries, but the principle of a smaller scale world cup with fewer stadiums is clearly implementable and preferable to spreading air travel across a whole continent for teams and fans. The next World Cup will probably be one of the cheapest to host - because the hosts probably won't need to spend a penny on stadiums or infrastructure. But spending on those things for a world cup isn't bad if it's stuff a country should be doing anyway. I've had a cursory look over some of the host stadiums for 2026 and my immediate impression is that car hire companies are probably going to do very well out of it.

I disagree Pons in regards to fewer stadiums. Problem with fewer stadiums is that the grass doesn’t hold. The pitches in this World Cup were terrible towards the knockout stages in some stadiums and they even added artificial colours to trick the spectators. 8 stadiums for 64 games in the space of 30days just isn’t enough.

The logistics for this World Cup was a nightmare as well, not to get into the country but within the country. I sincerely hope Fifa learns from this and never hosts it in one country this small again and furthermore, a country with zero footballing culture.

Is football popular in Qatar? Among the population generally? if it is then I guess I’m pleased for the average person there that they got something really special even if it came at great cost to many people. However, the Qatari authorities didn’t look at the World Cup and think “wow, we love football so much, let’s bring this here to celebrate the game and do something amazing for the country.” They looked at it and thought “How can we get Qatar on the map at all costs.”

I guess a lot of football federations might be similar, filled with people who care more about money than football but I can’t wait for the next World Cup when there’s less of this shit to take the shine off 

8 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Is football popular in Qatar? Among the population generally? if it is then I guess I’m pleased for the average person there that they got something really special even if it came at great cost to many people. However, the Qatari authorities didn’t look at the World Cup and think “wow, we love football so much, let’s bring this here to celebrate the game and do something amazing for the country.” They looked at it and thought “How can we get Qatar on the map at all costs.”

I guess a lot of football federations might be similar, filled with people who care more about money than football but I can’t wait for the next World Cup when there’s less of this shit to take the shine off 

Football is popular in any country. 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

This was the most accessible world cup for folks living in the Indian subcontinent. Know a lot of fans from India who were able to attend couple of games and really enjoyed it. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for them to watch players of the caliber of Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo play. I am assuming it is the same for fans living in the middle east.  

Copyright claims mean no highlights are up on YouTube except for the one FIFA’s own account, which is 2 minutes long. What the fuck man. The best ever final with some crazy moments has been condensed into 2 minutes. You don’t even get to the see buildup of any of the goals. If fifa are that lazy with highlights then at least allow the amateur crowd to do it better. 

52 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Copyright claims mean no highlights are up on YouTube except for the one FIFA’s own account, which is 2 minutes long. What the fuck man. The best ever final with some crazy moments has been condensed into 2 minutes. You don’t even get to the see buildup of any of the goals. If fifa are that lazy with highlights then at least allow the amateur crowd to do it better. 

BBC's are 8 minutes, guessing it's geolocked?