Patrick Vieira - NYCFC manager

Dave

He's a lot more established and experienced than people who have already said no.

Aye but he's established as not very good while they were not yet proven to be crap so I think they'll have more options than him.  Seems pretty certain now that he's coming in.

Reputations can change within a season, just look at Pardew. The biggest fraud in the game and now he's being hailed as the English Mourinho. I'll wait and see what McClaren does with the football on the pitch, within a couple of months it should be clear whether he has any idea how to produce a functional team or not.

McClaren has just been sacked by Derby County, although I don't think he'll be as desperate as Pardew was for a Premiership gig I'd be surprised if he turned us down.

Vieira, although unproven, had every right to refuse a job that will restrict his ability to manage.

He's a lot more established and experienced than people who have already said no.

Aye but he's established as not very good while they were not yet proven to be crap so I think they'll have more options than him.  Seems pretty certain now that he's coming in.

Reputations can change within a season, just look at Pardew. The biggest fraud in the game and now he's being hailed as the English Mourinho. I'll wait and see what McClaren does with the football on the pitch, within a couple of months it should be clear whether he has any idea how to produce a functional team or not.

Oh I'll give him a chance here, just saying his reputation means he'll probably have less options than the likes of Vieira.

Oh I'll give him a chance here, just saying his reputation means he'll probably have less options than the likes of Vieira.

I have a feeling that Vieira will end up being more successful within a few years, but that's just based on a hunch that he's intelligent and has learned from the best. Not to mention he has high standards.

I don't think Charnley could take the gamble on Viera, it was 50/50 at best, meaning if he failed Charnley, after gaining promotion from shoe cleaner to MD, would be out on his ar*e. The mediocre no risks involoved appointment, which ties in with Ashley's let's not dabble with relegation and stay mid table and earn the cash mantra, is to be expected i.e. Fans get an upgrade on carver, Charnley keeps his job safe, club will tick over with a yes man at helm, it may even turn out to be McClaren's saving grace and he reestablishes NUFC as a top eight club...

• 5 months later...

I imagine there were very good reason to choose it. Lesser league, less pressure, non-antagonistic/brutal press on local or national level, no true expectations among other things.

For a first true first team managerial job it's just a better fit.

There was a lot of talk on Sunday Supplement a few weeks ago saying how highly regarded he was at City and how the Owners had been trying to talk him into this gig for a while to keep him out of Arsenal's reaches.

I imagine there were very good reason to choose it. Lesser league, less pressure, non-antagonistic/brutal press on local or national level, no true expectations among other things.

For a first true first team managerial job it's just a better fit.

:thup:

He was clearly looking for a first team role and City apparently thinks highly of him, so they've given him a more high profile gig that keeps him under their control. If he's great then they can bring him back to Manchester whenever they want. If he fails then no great loss.

At the moment, NYCFC is a glorified reserves team acting as a marketing vehicle in the most important city in the world.

He was clearly looking for a first team role and City apparently thinks highly of him, so they've given him a more high profile gig that keeps him under their control. If he's great then they can bring him back to Manchester whenever they want. If he fails then no great loss.

At the moment, NYCFC is a glorified reserves team acting as a marketing vehicle in the most important city in the world.

:lol: