Charlie Austin

HawK

Isn't most people's concern that, assuming we have limited funds, they'd rather not spend 13 million on a striker when there are other areas that need to be improved?

Aye, if we had 30m more to spend then I'd be all for it but if we are going to spend another 10m or above on a player I'd prefer it to be a centre half or winger

Centre half and central midfielder who can do the dirty work aswell, can't see us playing 4-4-2 so in Perez, Sissoko, Cabella and Aarons we have enough, of sufficient quality for a forward 3 or the 3 or 2 in those other formations.

I've heard it can produce competition for places too. Controversial.

I'm fine with that, i just can't see the club spending 13m on a striker that might be benched. I wouldn't be against it but it would be a real departure from the norm :lol:

All these responses to a bump based on What Culture...

Austin is done. I think we wanted Austin. They wanted too much so we signed Mitrovic. You don't spend 30m to have half of that sit on the bench. Rather chuck money at Berahinho.

Yet journos reckon we're in for 2 strikers.

And we might be. But if we sign Austin where does he fit? I think if we get another striker they are more likely to be more of a wide forward than an out and out striker. It seems crazy to have no genuine wide players and 3 strikers who need service to score.

Austin is worth no more than 8m, playing in the championship, contract expires in a year, one england cap & only one top flight season at the age of 26

Kin'hell  :lol:

"He's not worth thirteen. . .nowhere near"

"How much dya think then?"

"8"

"K then"

If we signed Austin aswell we will just play two up top with Mitrovic. Of course the only way we will get him is if Cisse is off.

Almost certainly off IMO, 30 now so they won't want to renew his contract long term and this summer is the last chance to get a decent fee for him since next summer he'll only have one year left.

I always assumed it was either Mitrovic or Austin, not both unless Cisse left. Can see Villa being in for him now that Benteke has gone.

I'm not so sure.

Austin strikes me as an old school striker, the type to find the final touch, to take the chances, but without doing a great deal more than that.

We've only recently got Darren Bent off the payroll, a striker who does exactly that. I find it hard to believe we'd go out of our way to spend that much money on a striker of that type (if I am judging Austin correctly).

13million squad addition with little re sale value, so many of Ashleys sacred cows being slaughtered there, think we need Ashley DNA'd not Mbemba.

Austin only just turned 26 so still plenty of good years ahead for Ashley to cash in if he keeps on scoring.

Guest Gino14

It's a good point really.  Wasn't Cisse about the same age when we signed him? He's been decent but not amazing overall and some clubs are still trying to give us about the same or a little bit more than we paid for him.  At 26 if Austin has a couple of good years, someone could easily give us a good profit on him, buying him at 28 when he'll still have at least 3-4 peak playing years ahead of him.

It's a good point really.  Wasn't Cisse about the same age when we signed him? He's been decent but not amazing overall and some clubs are still trying to give us about the same or a little bit more than we paid for him.  At 26 if Austin has a couple of good years, someone could easily give us a good profit on him, buying him at 28 when he'll still have at least 3-4 peak playing years ahead of him.

he'd have to have a couple of absolutely spectacular years for anyone to offer more than we paid for austin, if we ended up paying in the 13-15m bracket like

Austin will never be worth more than he will this season. I think he's currently a victim of his own success. Too pricey for all but the most desperate. If he was going for a more reasonable price I'd imagine everyone from 5th place down would at least be asking about him.

That said i have a feeling hell jump regular starter at a relegation scrapper and end up 2nd or 3rd choice at a decent mid table to Europa league contender. I can see him at Spurs or Everton.

It's been suggested that some clubs may have had acceptable offers for him, but Austin himself wasn't interested. I suspect it may be the likes of Leicester and Bournemouth he's trying to avoid.

I think we have everything arranged with the player, it's just a case of agreeing a fee with QPR but there's no way we will pay 15m, when we are getting the value abroad.

For any side facing a relegation battle, he's worth every penny of 15m.

I think we have everything arranged with the player, it's just a case of agreeing a fee with QPR but there's no way we will pay 15m, when we are getting the value abroad.

probably about right tbh, both willing to sit until towards the end of the window and see if QPR flinch on the valuation

He'll leave QPR, it's just a game of brinksmanship to see who cracks first on the fee.

As the deadline approaches, the two sides will come together.

So long as Cisse is still around, we could leave it very late to make a move.

The minus is that Austin would miss preseason, though ours is pretty shambolic anyway.