England

Yorkie

Our media are wankers like, they're all on Twitter giving it 'it was an open training session so it's fair game'. Aye maybe if they choose to tell you the team, not getting a photo of the assistant's notes, zooming in and rotating then published them.

Media can do one, absolute tossers.

Off to London for the day on Sunday, to see some pals, and watch all the games. Not going to enjoy the bus at 5.30am mind.  :undecided:

Hopefully we get a nice solid win and I have a canny day out.  :)

Guest firetotheworks

Guarantee they'll look on it as 'dont give us the opportunity to photograph your teamsheet then' as is their usual horseshit excuse for acting like utter cunts.

Guest firetotheworks

Just started watching the England managers documentary.

Not even finished, just wanted to say that Henry Winter's a horrible cunt of a man.

Guest Howaythetoon

Not even finished, just wanted to say that Henry Winter's a horrible cunt of a man.

Where can I watch this?

Thanks

Guest firetotheworks

It's on iPlayer. You'll be adding Henry Winter to your shit list for what he (ignorantly and wrongly) says about Keegan.

Guest firetotheworks

Be sure to watch The World Cup: Hopes of a Nation as well. Plenty of Keegan in that.

Guest Howaythetoon

I remember when KK come back the second time and Winter said for all the madness, it was a marriage that should never have been broken up as KK was perfect for us and that he hoped it would work as the game needs more of your KK’s or words to that effect. When it comes to England the media have always been up tight and frankly ducking ridiculous in their assertions, opinions and especially when looking back in retrospect. The very same people who eulogised about Sir Bobby as a great manager and man etc. after his death vilified the man when England manager. Someone they championed for the job while he was at Ipswich the same as they did when KK was at Fulham and how they tried to do the same when he was at NUFc first time around the cunts.

Guest firetotheworks

Glenn Hoddle was a weird character like. I'm convinced he didn't like Beckham because he was more popular than he was as a player but without having as much talent and didn't like Gazza because he was more talented than he was. Leaving Gazza out was a stupid football decision like, at the time and in hindsight, that should have been his last hurrah.

Guest Howaythetoon

Glenn Hoddle was a weird character like. I'm convinced he didn't like Beckham because he was more popular than he was as a player but without having as much talent and didn't like Gazza because he was more talented than he was. Leaving Gazza out was a stupid football decision like, at the time and in hindsight, that should have been his last hurrah.

Hoddle for me was the best manager we’ve had since Sir Bobby and an ideal international manager as he was a coach more than anything, not one player since has questioned his tactics or coaching methods, just his man management. Our 2-2 with Argentina was an epic game and tactically I thought finally we had manager who could set the team up to play against anyone.

Even today as a commentator or pundit he speaks a lot of sense, although when he’s commentating on a live match he doesn’t come across as astute as he is as he has to say what he sees really, when he can analyse a game and go over it he’s as astute as anything and I remember when he said the problem with England and how we play the game is down to how we play in straight lines or in banks of whatever, there is no movement or fluidity or patterns of play.

That was prior to us beating Gemany 5-1 away btw which he was critical of at the time and kind of considered an idiot for that, as he said the scoreline flattered us and that we won because of how poor germany were and because we had outstanding individuals on the day.

Turned out he was kind of right.

Anyway I’m watching it right now and I’m up to the Cappello bit and what Winter said about KK is correct, but he did champion his case for England manager at the time. I remember thinking when KK took over that it wouldn't work, but of course I loved the man and still do so thought stupidly that England would play like NUFC and rule the world. How wrong was I. I had the same stupid feelings when he come back a second time to Newcastle despite knowing deep down it wouldn’t work and that was even before he revealed the truth about Ashley.

Is the England manager job an impossible job? I think if the criteria is to win something than yes it is which for Bobby, Venbles, Hoddle, Sven and Capello who were all certainly hired to do so, it was or is, but for someone like Southgate I think it’s about development and progressing.

Again I think our problems have always and always will lie at grassroots football and how we see the game, play the game and what we want from it, moreso fans. Fans demand hard work, players to show passion, to get stuck in, to play like they do for their clubs etc. I think as a nation we do not understand football or rather we are unwilling to accept that what we think is right really isn’t the answer, for dad’s taking their kids to an under 7s game to coaches and fans in the stands who show displeasure when their team pass the ball about at the back for a few minutes.

I think slowly but surely thought the culture is changing and it has to otherwise we will forever be in the dark at international level. Club football we can appoint the world’s best in terms of managers and players and compete, but even then given the resources as a nation we are underachieving club wise in Europe.

I liked Sven, was behind his appointment and looking back he did a good job, but we reverted back to the same old England way of playing, round pegs in square holes, favouritism, negative tactics and a weak mentality.

Capello, Shteeev and Big Sam wee all wrong appointments and I thought Southgate was too, but he’s going about things in the right manner and is maybe what we need right now.

I’m not exactly excited by the current England team, but it’s the most connected I’ve been to it since 98 and as a group I feel we have a lot to work with and looking at the England teams below the full side, maybe the academies are now starting to pay off.

Going back to KK, he was in charge of a difficult era where you had all these talents in Gerrard, Scholes, Beckham et al but also had the old rearguard in the likes of Seaman, Adams, Gazza, Shearer et al and he just couldn’t quite formulate a team from what he had at his disposal which Sven did to some extent.

:thup: looks dead behind the eyes, callous and snidey. Perhaps all those years surrounded by wealth, talent and tall poppies of the football world have turned him into a hater.

Guest firetotheworks

That was a reply to me and even then I struggled to keep going like. [emoji38]

Disagree about Winter being right on Keegan. He was unsuited definitely, but that doesn't mean he was out of his depth - that suggests he wasn't a good enough manager for England, which is nonsense imo. He just didn't like being England manager, was bored, and his main style of instilling confidence in players didn't work with players he was only seeing once every few months. To me he was being a dick, when he could have just said Keegan and that job weren't suited. Keegan had already more than proved himself as a manager by that point.

Sounds really precious and it probably is, but it's more the way he said it. It was like there was disdain. Maybe Keegan was out of his depth, but no one knew that more than the man himself... but he left of his own accord and with honour and honesty, and was probably gutted that he'd essentially failed. Winter was just really belittling for no particular reason.