England

Yorkie

I don't think the players areactively trying to lose this game, the players are trying but look disjointed because of how many changes have been made.

Yep. It's played out like the second half in a friendly.

Just had a proper look at the draw from here on.

Coming second is miles better, some people must be pissed up.

Miles better in terms of what though? It's avoiding the entire point of the tournament & taking loads of things for granted. Wrong way to look at it all.

We thought we had a favourable route when we drew Iceland in the Euros :lol:

We were much worse then tbh.

Anyway, Colombia is a winnable match as would be the following match. Nothing wrong with saying that.

Guest neesy111

We thought we had a favourable route when we drew Iceland in the Euros :lol:

We were much worse then tbh.

Anyway, Colombia is a winnable match as would be the following match. Nothing wrong with saying that.

Completely forgetting the original point.

Miles better in terms of what though? It's avoiding the entire point of the tournament & taking loads of things for granted. Wrong way to look at it all.

What's the entire point of the tournament? Winning it? Surely the easiest route to the final makes the entire point of the tournament more achievable

What's the entire point of the tournament? Winning it? Surely the easiest route to the final makes the entire point of the tournament more achievable

Surely the point is to be able to call yourself the best side in the world? Are you achieving that by being scared of playing half the sides in it & hoping other teams knock them out for you?

It's a really embarrassing way of looking at it in my opinion and a bit concerning how many want to win something in that manner.

Eh, we stay like this and we have the easiest route to the semis ever :lol:

Columbia might punish us, Brazil almost certainly will.

Surely the point is to be able to call yourself the best side in the world? Are you achieving that by being scared of playing half the sides in it & hoping other teams knock them out for you?

It's a really embarrassing way of looking at it in my opinion and a bit concerning how many want to win something in that manner.

Do you hope we pull Shrewsbury Town at SJP in the third round of the FA Cup or Chelsea away?

It’s the arrogance man.

We’ll definitely beat Sweden though, beat them loads - every single time iirc.

We’ll definitely beat Switzerland, they must be shit as  they only drew with Brazil who are very scary and haven’t lost yet.

As if anyone English would complain if we won the World Cup without ever playing anyone decent.

So while the whole country would be celebrating a World Cup win you'd be concerned because we didn't play the best teams en route to the final?

I bet the Portuguese were gutted they didn;t play anyone decent until the Euros final that they ended up winning

Guest Howaythetoon

To be fair, it’s upto Southgate to make a loss/finishing second in the group insignificant and as much as I don’t buy this finishing second and fielding a weakened team shite, you have to trust him and hope it doesn’t effect us. If it does questions will be asked and if he has anything about him he will learn and recover.

me, I’d play my strongest team and tell them to thrash Belgium and not to worry about who we may or may not face next because we can beat anyone. I’d tell the rest of the players that the aim is to win the WC and they can help us by supporting us and by being ready if needed in case of extra time, sendings off, penalties and injuries and that this is the start and their time will come again in future tournaments.

The players seem a canny bunch with no egos or selfish ideas above their station and should buy into that.

Kane could be way out in front for the Golden Boot and Sterling could be off the mark. I’d be gutted and resentful if I were those two in particular, but I’d like to hope I’d be professional enough to get over it and move on.

Again I just hope this does t come back to haunt us, I have a funny feeling it will though.

I’m more disappointed that it rendered the game a non event for me and I was so looking forward to it and badly want to see England grow and grow in terms of their football to prove this isn’t another false dawn. Shite :lol:

Guest neesy111

England did this in 2002 with a draw Vs Nigeria to finish 2nd and still got knocked out Vs Brazil.

Do you hope we pull Shrewsbury Town at SJP in the third round of the FA Cup or Chelsea away?

Not the same though is it, this is a straight tournament whereby one result potentially affects the following result.

Also the FA cup isn't about being the best side in England. If that were the aim, then the point would be to be capable of beating all other sides in the country so you'd be fine with getting other big teams.