England

Yorkie

I thought Alli was poor. Achieved very little and looked off the pace.

Sterling lost the ball a lot. Rashford isn't the perfect option, but I'd start him instead. Rose for Young I'm quite happy with.

But very happy, even though we've scraped through. Pressure's off now, to some extent anyway.

Guest neesy111

Sweden will be tough, they'll keep it compact and look to steal a chance.  I dont think weve beaten Sweden in a finals since 1958 ??

We'll have to create more from open play, can't see us getting much from the Swedes on set pieces.

Sweden will be tough, they'll keep it compact and look to steal a chance.  I dont think weve beaten Sweden in a finals since 1958 ??

We didn't beat them in '58, they got to the final. We beat them in Euro 2012 but hadn't for years before that.

I've been wanting to post for ages about this world cup and how it's highlighted how certain teams and styles can properly fuck up so called better ones.

Japan and South Korea are two good examples, but there's also Croatia struggling against Scandos.

Point being I will be very surprised if Sweden is anything but a massive struggle. England don't do well against organised teams they can't dominate physically.

Sterling got the lowest ratings of all the England players today.  Either I'm useless but England were hopeless for the majority after he went off?

Mail slating him for not scoring in however many minutes too, wonder why that is?  :rolleyes:

I've been wanting to post for ages about this world cup and how it's highlighted how certain teams and styles can properly fuck up so called better ones.

Japan and South Korea are two good examples, but there's also Croatia struggling against Scandos.

Point being I will be very surprised if Sweden is anything but a massive struggle. England don't do well against organised teams they can't dominate physically.

Sweden will be a challenge. Will crush you with their physicality and work rate in midfield, try to steal a goal with long balls up to their two jumbo-sized strikers, and then park the fuck out of the bus for however much time is left.

But they're not an obviously "better team" than England, and I think you have to take that at this stage.

Alli is currently ineffective and a big problem. He was often the closest player to Henderson but rarely showed for the ball and did little other than pass it back or lose it.

We need someone there who can link and can break the lines confidently. Loftus-Cheek has a way to go but he's the exact type of player. It's a massive shame AOC isn't fit, as he's genuinely perfect for it.

Guest neesy111

I've been wanting to post for ages about this world cup and how it's highlighted how certain teams and styles can properly f*** up so called better ones.

Sweden will be a challenge. Will crush you with their physicality and work rate in midfield, try to steal a goal with their two jumbo-sized strikers, and then park the f*** out of the bus for however much time is left.

But they're not an obviously "better team" than England, and I think you have to take that at this stage.

I don't think our team has that killer instinct tbh.  We started off well today and created next to nothing still. 

Sweden will be a challenge. Will crush you with their physicality and work rate in midfield, try to steal a goal with long balls up to their two jumbo-sized strikers, and then park the fuck out of the bus for however much time is left.

England were "better team" in that analysis mind

Guest neesy111

I think Shelvey could have done a job in that midfield. Yes/no?

I actually think sterling would most benefit from him.  No one with vision for his movement.

How we play is a lot of sprinting and recovering, Shelvey wouldn't have worked IMO even if he technically has passing which would be of use to the team. The player we miss the most IMO is Oxlade Chamberlain, purely because of how we play he would have fit in really well but he's injured so can't do anything about that.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shit game and England didn’t do enough to win the game inside the 90 and then extra time, Colombia likewise. Pens I feared for us, but it’s a monkey off our back I suppose and winning is all that counts now. We lack creativity in midfield though which is the missing piece because it’s blatantly obvious, and I think when we face a decent team with better quality players we will come unstuck. France or Brazil will have too much for us, Belgium as well, who must all be faves despite being in each other’s way. Whoever comes out on top will win it. Sweden will be very tough, tougher than Colombia. Sterling and Ali in particular need to step up. I’d stick with Sterling, but replace Ali with Loftus Cheek as he gives us added protection and someone who can carry the ball and close the gap between midfield and attack which Ali should be doing, but seems off the pace. Perhaps a season too much of football for him at this point in time?