England

Nobody

2 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Not sure I buy that. I'd take Gazza doing a dentist chair celebration on the pitch over this boring shite any day.

Fair enough, but being England manager was seen as impossible job and we were never going to beat anyone. We picked Sam Allardyce FFS. 

26 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The point being that Southgate has performed well in two consecutive tournaments.

I agree he can be negative and he was tactically outclassed by Mancini, but that doesn't take away from the job he's done.

Southgate should never have been employed as England manager in my opinion.  It wasn't long ago that we held on to a draw against Scotland.  The last World Cup saw us draw with mighty Colombia and beat that massive team Tunisia by the odd goal.  He's clueless!

3 minutes ago, Rod said:

Southgate should never have been employed as England manager in my opinion.  It wasn't long ago that we held on to a draw against Scotland.  The last World Cup saw us draw with mighty Colombia and beat that massive team Tunisia by the odd goal.  He's clueless!

We then went onto reach the final and semi-final of those tournaments. Clueless.

I mean I am not his biggest fan, and tbh I totally agree he fucked the Euros final. And is far too negative generally. 

But a semi final and a final in his last 2 attempts, I think he's earned the right to manage us for a few more games lads :lol:

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

You should want Southgate to be the manager for as long as possible if you're a Newcastle fan anyway, because Howe's name will definitely be in the mix.

Howe isn’t going to Engurland like, he’s too much of a hard grafter. Same way I wasn’t worried about Benitez taking the Spain job.

Just now, Danh1 said:

Howe isn’t going to Engurland like, he’s too much of a hard grafter. Same way I wasn’t worried about Benitez taking the Spain job.

Howe is on record as saying it would be his ultimate job. 

Thankfully he also said it would be something he'd want to do much later on because he enjoys being able to do regular coaching too much.

4 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

I mean I am not his biggest fan, and tbh I totally agree he fucked the Euros final. And is far too negative generally. 

But a semi final and a final in his last 2 attempts, I think he's earned the right to manage us for a few more games lads :lol:

Why ? He had a great opportunity to win a final and his decisions in that game proved he isn't good enough and cost us. If we want to win a final we need some one with better in game management.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Howe is on record as saying it would be his ultimate job. 

Thankfully he also said it would be something he'd want to do much later on because he enjoys being able to do regular coaching too much.

Ah really? Wasn’t aware of that like. But aye, good news that it’s later in his career that he’s looking at. 

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

Why ? He had a great opportunity to win a final and his decisions in that game proved he isn't good enough and cost us. If we want to win a final we need some one with better in game management.

Far bigger and fancier names than Southgate didn't get us near a final post-96. It's a huge over-simplification to say get Mancini or someone in and we'll win the thing. I'd choose Southgate every day at the moment when the alternative is rolling the dice on another manager. 

Southgate has transformed the mentality and the ethos of the squad and beyond. We could be playing far more exciting football, definitely. I don't love watching the team and I personally do think there's a better way to play, with the players that we have. But hacking away at games and getting results was far too often not in the national makeup pre-Southgate. 

Like it or not, the last 2 tournaments have been huge successes for England given how shite we've been for much of the last 60-odd years. He's doing something right and while he's getting to the final 4 of competitions he deserves another crack at it.

6 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

It's a huge over-simplification to say get Mancini or someone in and we'll win the thing.

Mancini ain't even qualified for the fucking thing.

Feel like I live on a different planet when I read about how England should, as well as winning everything obviously, be playing some sort of scintillating attacking football. Have any of you people ever watched an international tournament? Every decent international team is also dull as fuck, enjoying internationals has always been for the purist.

7 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Far bigger and fancier names than Southgate didn't get us near a final post-96. It's a huge over-simplification to say get Mancini or someone in and we'll win the thing. I'd choose Southgate every day at the moment when the alternative is rolling the dice on another manager. 

Southgate has transformed the mentality and the ethos of the squad and beyond. We could be playing far more exciting football, definitely. I don't love watching the team and I personally do think there's a better way to play, with the players that we have. But hacking away at games and getting results was far too often not in the national makeup pre-Southgate. 

Like it or not, the last 2 tournaments have been huge successes for England given how shite we've been for much of the last 60-odd years. He's doing something right and while he's getting to the final 4 of competitions he deserves another crack at it.

The whole change in ethos with the England set up by getting him in and treating the national team as a much more long term project with an importance on continuity and repeatability has turned us in to a different proposition. The days of cobbling the England 11 together when games come around with whatever manager is seen as the hottest prospect at the time returned awful results for years. Löw's sides were never particularly amazing but Germany were able to regularly compete by having their very good players walk in to a set up and a philosophy that was clear and well managed beyond the side that plays whatever game it is. France, despite not being a huge footballing nation, also have a better long term national setup than we've had too. 

Southgate may be uninspiring, but of all the other options available atm I still think him in that setup is currently the best

9 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

This is the cusp of the argument.  You obviously thought that Southgate did a fabulous job (Steve Bruce remember), whereas I thought he flopped massively at both tournaments.  Victories against Tunisia and Columbia should be a doddle for any manager.  As soon as his team come up against a team with a bit of nous, such as Belgium, Italy or Croatia then he is clueless.

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Mancini ain't even qualified for the fucking thing.

Feel like I live on a different planet when I read about how England should, as well as winning everything obviously, be playing some sort of scintillating attacking football. Have any of you people ever watched an international tournament? Every decent international team is also dull as fuck, enjoying internationals has always been for the purist.

With Mancini in charge we'd have won the Euros 

18 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

And by the way, this post is an absolute pile of shit.  He's doing an awful job with probably the best talent that England have had in donkeys years.  Oh by the way, we were beaten by Hungary tonight!

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

And by the way, this post is an absolute pile of shit.  He's doing an awful job with probably the best talent that England have had in donkeys years.  Oh by the way, we were beaten by Hungary tonight!

But Bruce/Southgate is doing a fabulous job!  Boils my piss!