England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

Mancini ain't even qualified for the fucking thing.

Feel like I live on a different planet when I read about how England should, as well as winning everything obviously, be playing some sort of scintillating attacking football. Have any of you people ever watched an international tournament? Every decent international team is also dull as fuck, enjoying internationals has always been for the purist.

Makes the waste of 02-08 when England had a potentially mean as fuck defence so frustrating. 

8 hours ago, Rod said:

And by the way, this post is an absolute pile of shit.  He's doing an awful job with probably the best talent that England have had in donkeys years.  Oh by the way, we were beaten by Hungary tonight!

:lol: I like it how this post ends with "btw we lost one game!" 

Southgate can be frustrating as fuck on a matchday but he (and obviously the other staff) have pulled together the most harmonious England squad we've probably ever had [emoji38]

There's a massive risk that we sack him and the whole thing falls apart. Unless it was like Graham Potter I cannot think of any definite imrovements who could carry on what Southgate has done?

13 hours ago, Flip said:

It’s a glorified friendly/qualifying tournament. No one cares about winning it. It’s great for European football as teams play against similarly ranked teams giving smaller national chances to win as well as qualify for major tournaments. However, in history no one will remember who won it. And I am one of the few that prefer international football to club football due to its charm (and Brazil always at least entering tournaments with a chance to win it compred to Newcastle :lol:) 

Again, I don’t think that’s accurate. I loved the first edition and how we reached the final beating Germany, France and England along the way. I think this type of disdain is similar to what we always get for the Europa League or the new Conference League. Yes, they’re not CL, but again I can tell from experience of people around me that e.g. Feyenoord reaching the Conference League final was great for them. I’d liken it to us winning the 1969 Fairs Cup. That too may have been a bit second rate as a competition, but if you’re competing in it and winning it, it still massively beats pre-season friendlies and that’s the same for the National League. Hell, I even celebrated when we won the Intertoto in 2006 :lol:

We were at least competitive in the Euros, and the World Cup before that. That's not something I've seen since 1996. 

It may be that we're not quite there yet, but I can't go along with just getting rid of him. I think he's earned the right to have a go at the next World Cup. 

I can't say I'm really bothered about the Nations League... just not massively invested in it. I'm more interested in the Solihull v Grimsby play-off final! 

17 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Southgate can be frustrating as fuck on a matchday but he (and obviously the other staff) have pulled together the most harmonious England squad we've probably ever had [emoji38]

There's a massive risk that we sack him and the whole thing falls apart. Unless it was like Graham Potter I cannot think of any definite imrovements who could carry on what Southgate has done?

Guardiola is on record as wanting an international job next…

Personally think Guardiola will flop at international level. Incredible at club level with ingraining a very specific system but much harder at international level when he’d have way less time with the players

49 minutes ago, HTT II said:

One defeat, Sack Southgate, get to fuck [emoji38]

It isn't from one defeat at all you maniac ?. It's mainly down to his negative style of play since he took the job and his poor in game management in big games. 

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I know someone who would be mint but it would leave us out of a Manager and Club over Country everyday for me. 

It's why I'm perfectly happy for Southgate to keep plodding on. I don't want to lose Eddie. 

1 hour ago, Billy Warthog said:

We were at least competitive in the Euros, and the World Cup before that. That's not something I've seen since 1996. 

It may be that we're not quite there yet, but I can't go along with just getting rid of him. I think he's earned the right to have a go at the next World Cup. 

I can't say I'm really bothered about the Nations League... just not massively invested in it. I'm more interested in the Solihull v Grimsby play-off final! 

[emoji38]

Well, it helps when all your games are played at home doesn’t it.

6 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Straw men in defence here.

I've tried offering rationale responses, but apparently a Euro Cup final and a World Cup semi-final aren't good enough for some fans.

I agree his football is quite negative, but it works. 

Southgate has done a really good job off the pitch, don't think anyone can deny that. He's been extremely fortunate that we've had about as easy tournament paths as you could wish for in the World Cup and Euro's though. It's hard to knock a final and semi final back to back but they do feel like massive wasted opportunities at the same time. I think it's the manner of those exits that are most frustrating, just so negative and scared in the approach. 

Continuing to see boring negative lineups so close before the World Cup doesn't fill you with confidence we'll be trying a different approach this time around. 

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I've tried offering rationale responses, but apparently a Euro Cup final and a World Cup semi-final aren't good enough for some fans.

Think it is a bit like XG and the eye test.  

He got to the semi and final, but you could see that the team wasn't being maximised.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

You have to consider the teams that put us out and the manner of our exits though. Wasn't even a great Italian side they haven't even qualified for the world cup, we were more than capable of beating them and the game was there for the taking. 

Edited by WillingtonMag

Guest HTT II
41 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

It isn't from one defeat at all you maniac ?. It's mainly down to his negative style of play since he took the job and his poor in game management in big games. 

The maniacs are the ones calling for his head, the same mindset that would want KK sacked for finishing 2nd and not 1st.