England

Yorkie

Reading between the lines, his comments about Mount moving the ball on quickly and closing opponents down were interesting, because that's two things that Grealish doesn't do well. He's very skilful on the ball, but does tend to hang on to it, looking to open the defence up with the next pass. And I don't think he's great at defending.

ย 

Grealish is a great talent, but tends to play as an individual and there may be difficulty in fitting him into a team pattern, at the top level.

ย 

I'm not saying Southgate is right. I'm just saying that I think these are the reasons he's hesitant about Grealish. The likes of us tend to focus on what a player does, whereas managers will be more aware of what a player isn't doing.

ย 

Again, I'm not saying he's right, so take it easy please.

Reading between the lines, his comments about Mount moving the ball on quickly and closing opponents down were interesting, because that's two things that Grealish doesn't do well. He's very skilful on the ball, but does tend to hang on to it, looking to open the defence up with the next pass. And I don't think he's great at defending.

ย 

Grealish is a great talent, but tends to play as an individual and there may be difficulty in fitting him into a team pattern, at the top level.

ย 

I'm not saying Southgate is right. I'm just saying that I think these are the reasons he's hesitant about Grealish. The likes of us tend to focus on what a player does, whereas managers will be more aware of what a player isn't doing.

ย 

ย 

Not sure what you're getting at here? I mean he agrguably plays at the top level now PL, and he's just played really well for England. We'll be wasting a talent if Southgate goes down this pass. It's his job to fit him into the team.

ย 

It's not like.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Not sure what you're getting at here? I mean he agrguably plays at the top level now PL, and he's just played really well for England. We'll be wasting a talent if Southgate goes down this pass. It's his job to fit him into the team.

ย 

I think the main issue I'm trying to get at is Grealish's use of the ball.

ย 

Wenger used to monitor his players' performances scientifically, and would pick any player up if the stats showed that they were hanging on to the ball for longer than a set length of time. That was very much Arsenal's style, moving the ball around quickly and opening things up that way. This is a big generalisation, but the higher the level of football, the more the dependence on passing and team fluidity, rather than giving the ball to an individual, and relying on them to produce a moment of magic.

ย 

Now I think that's why Southgate is hesitant about Grealish's attacking contribution. He does produce those great moments, but Southgate perhaps thinks that the way he hangs on to the ball can also detract from the fluency of an attack. And his work when the team doesn't have the ball can be called into question.

ย 

If you're Messi, a manager can afford to accept the trade off. With Grealish, a manager is likely to be more hesitant. It really depends on what other options a manager has, in terms of getting the best from the entire team.

ย 

You're right about Grealish's ability, in that he would walk into nearly every team in the PL. There's no doubt about that.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

It's not like.

ย 

It is. Any other country would, you donโ€™t just shun talent like that. Weโ€™ve been doing it for years and then going โ€œhow come we donโ€™t produce players like โ€˜insert countryโ€™. We do sometimes. We need to use them

Howay man, he's good but he's not THAT good.

Adama Traore is just getting his first Spanish cap now, fairly similar quality and age.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

It's not like.

ย 

It is. Any other country would, you donโ€™t just shun talent like that. Weโ€™ve been doing it for years and then going โ€œhow come we donโ€™t produce players like โ€˜insert countryโ€™. We do sometimes. We need to use them

ย 

It's the implication that he's not doing his job if he doesn't fit Grealish into the team. He's doing his job to the letter. You may think he's doing it wrong, but you don't employ him. Maybe you could buy the FA and make that his prime objective.

ย 

But it sounds to me that he had a good game so I find a tad obsessive to criticise Southgate's handling of his introduction to international football.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย