England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Not much of a profit for a stadium in London that cost £750m to build.

Are stadiums ever profitable? They needed a stadium. They have a stadium. Now they have the option of have stadium + ticket sale profits, or use stadium + no(?) ticket sale profits. The relevant part is not how much it cost to build, but how much they expect to make from sales.

For it to be successful surely the team would have to be successful, and there is a real chance they would be the Sunderland of the NFL, just a source of ridicule and disgust.

The jags made the playoffs last year and look like they have a good chance of not being shit for a few years.

Are stadiums ever profitable? They needed a stadium. They have a stadium. Now they have the option of have stadium + ticket sale profits, or use stadium + no(?) ticket sale profits. The relevant part is not how much it cost to build, but how much they expect to make from sales.

They also earn a substantial amount by letting the NFL, boxing, concerts etc. take place there.

I just dont see the logic of having a London NFL team, the NFL fanbase in the UK is massive but they all have their own teams. They arent going to suddenly drop their teams to support the Jags

This would be the greatest question mark for me. But I feel like people have grown some level of affinity for Jacksonville given their frequent visits. And given they're not so shit anymore. I imagine the affinity will only grow over time.

They also earn a substantial amount by letting the NFL, boxing, concerts etc. take place there.

Aye. I've just got nee idea what those numbers look like in comparison to selling the stadium & not having to concentrate on being a landlord.

Aye. I've just got nee idea what those numbers look like in comparison to selling the stadium & not having to concentrate on being a landlord.

:thup: Same.

Although I’d imagine an England game brings in at least £1m-£2m in ticket and food sales. Based on 90,000 tickets at an average of £20 being £1.8m prior to any expenditures/adding in food and drink and hospitality.

I could easily gestimate a profit of about £20m a year, based on the various matches played at Wembley over the course of a season + the other uses mentioned above.

But it's an asset as well right? London property at that. Seems weird to sell it for so little compared to what it cost.

Obviously if it's a long-term loss maker then fair enough.

Apparently the ground will stop being payed for by 2024.

Is a stadium really a great asset? The land, sure, but you don't see too many stadiums getting bought/re-used/fixed up. They tend to just get knocked down.

Again, lots of big question marks over the numbers, but my feeling would be that the FA could take that money and use it for actual football stuff rather than just owning a building.

Unless it's wildly profitable ofc. But I doubt that.

Guest neesy111

Is a stadium really a great asset? The land, sure, but you don't see too many stadiums getting bought/re-used/fixed up. They tend to just get knocked down.

Again, lots of big question marks over the numbers, but my feeling would be that the FA could take that money and use it for actual football stuff rather than just owning a building.

£8m a year for 2012/13, just read one of their annual reports.  Suspect that includes financing of the stadium.

's pretty much what the rich chap is saying.  Sunderland got a shoutout too

8lLfimz.png

I just dont see the logic of having a London NFL team, the NFL fanbase in the UK is massive but they all have their own teams. They arent going to suddenly drop their teams to support the Jags

This would be the greatest question mark for me. But I feel like people have grown some level of affinity for Jacksonville given their frequent visits. And given they're not so shit anymore. I imagine the affinity will only grow over time.

Presumably fans of other teams would go to games in London when those teams played the Jaguars as well.

It will be he beginning of the Jags becoming a London team. The NFL have been wanting a London team for a while and have even already made plans for it in regards to how fixtures would work (play all their home games at once, all their away games at once. Teams visiting the U.K. for away games will get an extended break between matches).

How it will fit in with Spurs having the NFL contract is anyone’s guess though. Would having a London team and visiting games at Spurs be overkill?

As for Wembley, I’ve long said building it was a mistake and we should have invested more in existing stadiums and grassroute football with England games, and cup finals all being spread around the country.

It will be he beginning of the Jags becoming a London team. The NFL have been wanting a London team for a while and have even already made plans for it in regards to how fixtures would work (play all their home games at once, all their away games at once. Teams visiting the U.K. for away games will get an extended break between matches).

How it will fit in with Spurs having the NFL contract is anyone’s guess though. Would having a London team and visiting games at Spurs be overkill?

As for Wembley, I’ve long said building it was a mistake and we should have invested more in existing stadiums and grassroute football with England games, and cup finals all being spread around the country.

An 800 million pound mistake. I need to make a few of those.

I doubt you can afford it tbh.

Guest chopey

Totally confused by this Wembley stuff my first reaction was to say it was a bad move but when the deal is laid out the FA would be crazy not to take the offer up

I doubt you can afford it tbh.

I only need to afford it once then the rest will take care of itself.

Guest neesy111

Apparently they want to upgrade Wembley is they do the deal.  I've been once and for the money spent on the stadium I wasn't impressed by the facilities on offer.

Guest neesy111

Didn’t they get a load of Lottery money towards the construction, was it ever paid back? Can’t remember if they got any taxpayers money.

Yes, that stuff will either need to be paid back or an agreement made on it.

Apparently they want to upgrade Wembley is they do the deal.  I've been once and for the money spent on the stadium I wasn't impressed by the facilities on offer.

Aye, loads of government money for it for sporting reasons. I think there was some lottery money as well.