England

Yorkie

I can see why people boo the other anthem tbh, make it as hostile as possible for the opposing team when you're at home. 

Do they hand out fines when people boo and whistle while the away team are in possession? Or when players cup their ear and celebrate in front of the other teams fans [emoji38]

I'm pretty sure our anthem was booed in France, Germany, Russia etc. Football is getting so bloody soft man. 

2 hours ago, Scotty66 said:

I can see why people boo the other anthem tbh, make it as hostile as possible for the opposing team when you're at home. 

Do they hand out fines when people boo and whistle while the away team are in possession? Or when players cup their ear and celebrate in front of the other teams fans [emoji38]

I'm pretty sure our anthem was booed in France, Germany, Russia etc. Football is getting so bloody soft man. 

Exactly. you'd think Slapshot had never been made.

Edited by Happinesstan

Ive been looking back at our old England squads that went to various tournaments over the years.

The last squad that, on paper at least, looked like it was capable of winning something was the 98 world cup squad. Every single player was in their prime.

Other squads were good on paper but never fulfilled their potential.

This current squad look to be peaking just at the right time, almost as if they are a club side. And of course, this squad will mostly be going to the world cup next year. Foden and Bellingham will be another year wiser, Grealish will be at a big club and will have more experience, most of the squad will still be in their prime. Even if we win on Sunday I don't think this squad has peaked in terms of overall potential.

Of course if we win this thing on sunday we'll be accused on only being able to win at home, but so fuck. [emoji38]

Yeah I mean we had a left wing problem for years. Now we've got loads of high quality, tactically flexible wide players. Same at full-back - far better depth than in previous years. 

Definitely less 'star names' than the so called golden generation - but I think that partly reflects the nature of this generation of players rather than necessarily their quality. It's like before the tournament my lass (who knows nothing about football) was struggling to name a single England player - but could reel off loads of the 2004-2010 era squad. Because they were celebrities as well as players. This St George's Park generation are more known for being excellent but grounded footballers, and have come through playing in the youth teams together.

It's all very German tbh. Which is a good thing. 

4 hours ago, Beren said:

Channel 4 are apparently showing the 1966 final in full, and in colour, at 5:40pm tomorrow. 

[Apologies if Giggs].

If it's the same version I watched a few years back, on film rather than video tape, it's well worth a watch.

No "they think it's all over", though.

7 hours ago, Dancing Brave said:

My line manager casually dropped "We were talking to Harry Kane's wife this morning, our kids go to the same nursery" into yesterday's Zoom chat.  I was a bit starstruck, considering he scored the night before    :lol:

10 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Ive been looking back at our old England squads that went to various tournaments over the years.

The last squad that, on paper at least, looked like it was capable of winning something was the 98 world cup squad. Every single player was in their prime.

Other squads were good on paper but never fulfilled their potential.

This current squad look to be peaking just at the right time, almost as if they are a club side. And of course, this squad will mostly be going to the world cup next year. Foden and Bellingham will be another year wiser, Grealish will be at a big club and will have more experience, most of the squad will still be in their prime. Even if we win on Sunday I don't think this squad has peaked in terms of overall potential.

Of course if we win this thing on sunday we'll be accused on only being able to win at home, but so fuck. [emoji38]

Wat about the golden generation?

Mwahahahahahaaa