England

Yorkie

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The guy saw Anthony Gordon shine. 1 goal, 1 assist in the opening 3 games. New bother let’s pick Eddie Nketiah so he can’t play for Ghana. 

Rightly or wrongly player or the tournament in the U21's too - so much for progression etc. 

I can just about cling onto the last morsel of acceptability with Maguire because of his record for England and him having at least played some football. Kalvin Phillips being in there is a complete joke though, he's played a third of the minutes Maguire has for his club in the past year :lol:

Just now, SiLvOR said:

The fuck happened to picking players based off form?

I don’t agree with that to be honest. You pick on quality and ability to perform. But someone like Kalvin Phillips shouldn’t get a call-up.  You should drop Maguire just to encourage him to move and get regular football. Even Henderson is a bad pick.  He’s 30+ and doesn’t even start for England. Let him go - give it to someone that actually plays. Give it MGW or someone. 

Southgate just has the core of his squad and only changes it when new players join the old top 6. 

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s to block him out of playing for Ghana I’m sure. 

I assume you're right but it is still complete nonsense, mugging Watkins off hard not to pick him here who's legit very good and a reasonable understudy, another ludicrous decision. Be shocked if Nketiah is ever close to England level. 

Edited by mondonewc

Tbf I don't think that should happen either. You should pick a stable squad I reckon, with only a few places up for grabs, but there are some players who clearly should be getting completely phased out with new players coming in. Henderson, Phillips, Maguire all need to go. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Tbf I don't think that should happen either. You should pick a stable squad I reckon, with only a few places up for grabs, but there are some players who clearly should be getting completely phased out with new players coming in. Henderson, Phillips, Maguire all need to go. 

You at least need to encourage Phillips and Maguire to get a move by dropping them now. Bring them back if it fails but at least try.  

Seems Pope and Sterling are being phased out. But Henderson is still around. 

Edited by The College Dropout

17 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

The fuck happened to picking players based off form?

I was thinking maybe it's unfair on him based on limited English players coming through... But then remembered we have just won the u21s! 

I mean surely  we should be filling gaps with them and not Maguire, Hendon, Philips etc.

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

That just states sack me for being a big nosed useless twat all over it. Couldn’t be more clear that he doesn’t pick players based on form, which is fucking shocking. The fact he has players in there with barely any minutes played along with poor form is beyond being diabolical. 
He’s been lucky enough over the years to have the wealth of players available to him - more than most managers in the past have, to carry the useless fucker, but to continue doing this and get away with it at the highest level is beyond a joke. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t agree with that to be honest. You pick on quality and ability to perform. But someone like Kalvin Phillips shouldn’t get a call-up.  You should drop Maguire just to encourage him to move and get regular football. Even Henderson is a bad pick.  He’s 30+ and doesn’t even start for England. Let him go - give it to someone that actually plays. Give it MGW or someone. 

Southgate just has the core of his squad and only changes it when new players join the old top 6. 

See where you're coming from, for sure, just I think the message is pretty shit if we continously pick the likes of Henderson, Maguire, Phillips over more deserving players, as you've very much said there. I think I'm just miffed at the usual faces constantly being there.

18 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I don't really have an issue with Southgate continuing to pick the players he trusts for games like this but it seems weird to drop an in-form Sterling in that context.

I agree with this but you need to send messages to players with your selection.  

like if you don’t play for your club at all - you might get dropped. Or if you perform for U21 and continue it in the PL you have a good chance of making it. There’s only 1 competitive game here, you can drop a couple just to send that message. 

Just sends the message that his squad is set for next year. Phillips can spend another year on the bench. 

If Jordan Henderson had a leg amputated and was playing in the fucking Sri Lankan league, aged 42, Southgate would still pick him. 

What is the point, really?

Kalvin Phillips who has spent less time near a pitch than your average ball boy, too. Bizarre.

Im sort of on the fence about this squad. 

Southgate is loyal to his squad. Thats not a particularly bad thing and he's reaped the rewards with players performing for him who arent at club level. We know that club form doesnt necessarily translate at an international level. This 'club' feeling has been a big part of us doing well under Southgate. He shouldnt be picking players as a reward, he should be picking the squad that gives us the best chance at winning. Once you're in his squad, you're in his squad. If you're not, its hard to get in - see Sterling.

However, there has to be a line. Looking ahead to the EUROS, Henderson has sacrificed his career at the top level -  he shouldnt be there. Maybe he's given Phillips and Maguire a last chance to get some minutes elsewhere before the window closes, but if they literally arent playing at all at club level, theres no way he can take them. He'll have to cut those players loose at some point, he's just chosen not to yet. Its not as if the replacements are inspiring either. 

Nketiah isn't even that bad a choice in comparison to Philips, Maguire and Henderson, he's got solid attributes for scoring in international games and even with the crop of young talent England have, we don't have any brilliant strikers kicking around under 25.

Then again, this could just be a reaction to Balogun wasting his time with the soccer boys.