England

Yorkie

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Find Bellingham very unlikeable. 

I get it, but I think we need it. About time we have a dickhead in the team to go at refs, dugouts and pop up with decisive goals at decisive times. Feel like England have been the "nice guys" for too long. 

He is cringe, the celebration is cringe, but if he can keep producing, I'm happy to go along with it. 

5 hours ago, Ste said:

What’s the gesture mean, “I’ve got big balls”? It’s the way he puts his hand to his mouth before he does it that confuses me. 

Yes I don't understand the gesture either haha 

7 hours ago, Astroblack said:

I get it, but I think we need it. About time we have a dickhead in the team to go at refs, dugouts and pop up with decisive goals at decisive times. Feel like England have been the "nice guys" for too long. 

He is cringe, the celebration is cringe, but if he can keep producing, I'm happy to go along with it. 

He's a prick!  Bellingham that is.

Southgate supporters always compare his record of reaching semis and finals to past managers. To be fair to Southgate, you can only beat what is before you. But is international football at its weakest in a long time? My first World Cup memory is Italia 1990. 

Sir Bobby Robson's England had to face the Netherlands, Ireland, and Egypt in the group stage. That Dutch team had Koeman, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard. I remember that Ireland team being tough to beat as well. That tournament had Italy, Argentina, the Netherlands, and West Germany as the top teams. Every tournament from 1994 to 2012 had at least two teams which was so much better than the current versions. Or is it just me starting to grow old and grump.

32 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Southgate supporters always compare his record of reaching semis and finals to past managers. To be fair to Southgate, you can only beat what is before you. But is international football at its weakest in a long time? My first World Cup memory is Italia 1990. 

Sir Bobby Robson's England had to face the Netherlands, Ireland, and Egypt in the group stage. That Dutch team had Koeman, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard. I remember that Ireland team being tough to beat as well. That tournament had Italy, Argentina, the Netherlands, and West Germany as the top teams. Every tournament from 1994 to 2012 had at least two teams which was so much better than the current versions. Or is it just me starting to grow old and grump.

82 we battered platini and that great french side  in the opening game,  won every group game, drew aganst the germans, got knocked out as we couldnt take our chances against spain. didnt lose a single game.

86 from the 3rd game onwards we were brilliant and could have beaten argentina if lineker had managed to scramble in that chance at the far post - we had battered them for the last half hour or so.

90 thought we were the better team against germany in the semi's

96 outplayed the germans

98 unlucky against argentina - dodgy disallowed goal.

all much  better than any of the shite under southgate.

they were true heroic failures but with southgate its just been white flags against croatia and italy. no real effort to win those games.

and this tournament......

robson, venables and hoddle would change line ups when needed and make proactive subs.

Edited by huss9

I don't think any team has looked particularly good, Spain perhaps has stood out amongst a bad bunch but both games were pretty dire today and watching them made me think maybe we aren't that awful (in comparison). I think the game has changed and for the worse for spectators.

This whole tournament has been a chore, the frustration for England is that we play with our foot on the brake, we see glimpses but few and far between.

12 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Weirdly the best I've ever seen England play in my lifetime has always involved less common formations. The Christmas tree in 96, 352 (or something similar) in 98, then again in 2018.

96 was a fantastic side imo - was so well balanced - you basically had Pearce and Platt (and Neville) acting as your flexible positional options meaning you could change from a 4411 to 3511 pretty comfortably - added to this you had players who were so comfortable on the ball - was a really good team that 

I'm torn. On one hand I felt really sorry for Trippier getting rinsed to pieces by fans and pundits of other teams making out he is worse than shit. All of them forgetting that if played on the right he is infinitely better than Kyle Walker on the ball. But he should never play left back and that's on Southgate not Kieran. 

On the other, if he plays on the right today and struggles aswell, because it's been awhile since we have seen the form he started last season in, he's going to get dogs abuse worse than before. 

26 minutes ago, Si said:

I don't understand what Southgates problem with him is. It's mental.

no one understands him, man.

in his his own little world he's a tactical genius.

honestly think he's thick as fuck when it comes to football tactics.

and steven holland? how did he even get that job and what does he bring to the game?

deschamps, martinez etc - at least they got themselves some decent top level management experience before they were let loose on the international scene.

we've presented our latest golden generation the the fella that got boro relegated.

Edited by huss9

11 minutes ago, alexf said:

I'm torn. On one hand I felt really sorry for Trippier getting rinsed to pieces by fans and pundits of other teams making out he is worse than shit. All of them forgetting that if played on the right he is infinitely better than Kyle Walker on the ball. But he should never play left back and that's on Southgate not Kieran. 

On the other, if he plays on the right today and struggles aswell, because it's been awhile since we have seen the form he started last season in, he's going to get dogs abuse worse than before. 

To not take a single LB in an extended 26 man squad is crazy - by all means take a gamble on Shaw, that’s fine - I’m guessing Chilwell isn’t injured? No harm in taking one of Hall and Mitchell either 

Bloke is on crack