Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

With this one transfer, we at least showed:

1. Ashley will pay a large sum for a player.

2. Charnley, in spite of a shocking signature, can finalise a deal.

3. A player of high renown actually still wants to come here.

4. There is at least a tiny atom of ambition in the cold heart of the fat man.

By no means does this make up for the last few windows and the staggering ineptitude of the last 8 months, but it's nice to have something to enjoy about supporting Newcastle. Airport photos, YouTube scouting, it's been a while since we had a legitimately good transfer for an established talent.

Guest ElCid

With this one transfer, we at least showed:

1. Ashley will pay a large sum for a player.

2. Charnley, in spite of a shocking signature, can finalise a deal.

3. A player of high renown actually still wants to come here.

4. There is at least a tiny atom of ambition in the cold heart of the fat man.

By no means does this make up for the last few windows and the staggering ineptitude of the last 8 months, but it's nice to have something to enjoy about supporting Newcastle. Airport photos, YouTube scouting, it's been a while since we had a legitimately good transfer for an established talent.

First sign good but I wait to see the team which starts the season - need imho another 4 or 5 in first

more interested in coon :lol:

coin?

poon?

raccoon?

macaroon?

black people?

http://pre02.deviantart.net/1715/th/pre/f/2013/213/e/0/south_park_action_poses___the_coon_1_by_megasupermoon-d6g51a0.jpg

Just been reading a psv forum about winegum. General opinion is we have paid over the odds tbf.

Also had the opinion where have "deep, deep pockets" and "spend silly money on players that only played good for 6 month" (€12mill Anita)

"Buy players without any plan just chucking money away"

http://forum.psv.nl/showthread.php?5096-Georginio-Wijnaldum-(A-M)/page134&s=a6b4f9c5ceeafa09d8f64fcd0aed8033

Open using chrome will automatically translate.

Just been reading a psv forum about winegum. General opinion is we have paid over the odds tbf.

Also had the opinion where have "deep, deep pockets" and "spend silly money on players that only played good for 6 month" (€12mill Anita)

"Buy players without any plan just chucking money away"

http://forum.psv.nl/showthread.php?5096-Georginio-Wijnaldum-(A-M)/page134&s=a6b4f9c5ceeafa09d8f64fcd0aed8033

Open using chrome will automatically translate.

So, Memphis Depay goes for over £20m and he didn't achieve "Dutch Player of the Season 14/15", yet Wijnaldum did and isn't worth £14.5m?  :lol:

I don't agree with them, just placed link for the forum up and picked a couple of quotes and placed a link for anyone interested. For all I know we could have got a bargain or bought a flop. Never heard of him before we signed.

Of course they think we paid over the odds, they're a Dutch side and have little money coming in by comparison.

I actually don't get how that argument works, he's an asset and had a set guide price whoever and wherever the buyer is coming from?

Surely if your selling, wether you skint or flush your asset doesn't gain or loose value when it has nothing to do with your commercial revenue?

I don't agree with them, just placed link for the forum up and picked a couple of quotes and placed a link for anyone interested. For all I know we could have got a bargain or bought a flop. Never heard of him before we signed.

Of course they think we paid over the odds, they're a Dutch side and have little money coming in by comparison.

I actually don't get how that argument works, he's an asset and had a set guide price whoever and wherever the buyer is coming from?

Surely if your selling, wether you skint or flush your asset doesn't gain or loose value when it has nothing to do with your commercial revenue?

Alreet Alan Sugar, calm down.

Hate being all negative but nowadays signing a player like this means 1 of 2 things. He'll either be a flop and not adapt to English football or he'll be a hit and Ashley will have cashed in on him within 2 years. Bids will come in as other clubs know we are eager sellers. Gone are the days where we'd find ourselves a top player and build a team around them which a club the size of NUFC should be able to do. Just can't get myself excited about any signings anymore which is pretty sad really.

Suppose if he's good just enjoy him whilst we can.

Hate being all negative but nowadays signing a player like this means 1 of 2 things. He'll either be a flop and not adapt to English football or he'll be a hit and Ashley will have cashed in on him within 2 years. Bids will come in as other clubs know we are eager sellers. Gone are the days where we'd find ourselves a top player and build a team around them which a club the size of NUFC should be able to do. Just can't get myself excited about any signings anymore which is pretty sad really.

Thing is, unless you're Barca or Real Madrid then you're always liable to having your best players taken from you. I have no real issue with that. It's the fact that we've never re-invested the funds received that has always been the issue.

Thing is, unless you're Barca or Real Madrid then you're always liable to having your best players taken from you. I have no real issue with that. It's the fact that we've never re-invested the funds received that has always been the issue.

This.  As long as the overall balance of the sqaud/quality of the squad stays consistent and improves with the new players, I have no issue with players going. Unless we break into the top 4, decent players (mainly coming for outside the UK) coming to us and doing well will inevitably get attention from bigger clubs, if we profit from that great - as long as it goes back into the team!!

Just look at Southampton as a blue print - they have proved (albeit for only 1 season) that you can loose 2 or 3 quality players if you quickly replace them and have a decent manager in place that is able to adapt quickly.  Be interesting to see if they can replicate that this season however as the core of what was a pretty decent team is almost entirely gone now!

To an extent. However we actively encourage bids for our best players, especially in the build up to the January transfer window when it's a sellers market and Ashley knows he'll get way over market value. It's not that long ago we had the 8th highest revenue in Europe. We're a big club, one of the biggest in the country, that's been downsized to a Southampton sized club and the sad thing is that a lot of fans have just accepted that.

Ronald de Boer has said that Newcastle fans are getting too carried away with the signing of Georginio Wijnaldum and that he will struggle to meet their ‘lofty expectations’.

The brother of Ajax Manager Frank, de Boer says that whilst the new signing is ‘an excellent team player’, he still relies on getting a lot of chances to score.

His most extreme comment though is that he claims too much pressure is being put on the former PSV attacking midfielder, because Newcastle fans are carrying on as though he will single-handedly transform United into Premier League title challengers.

I have some friends who are capable of getting very drunk, but  I still haven’t heard even them claim anything close to this.

As ever, people on the outside easily fall into the trap of mistaking the enthusiasm of Newcastle fans for expectation of something happening.

After no transfers at all in three of the last four transfer windows and then a very mixed bag from last summer’s activity, is it any wonder that Newcastle fans are jubilant when they sign a player of  Georginio Wijnaldum’s quality and profile. A player who it was assumed would end up at a club playing Champions League football next season.

Player of the year in Holland last season, the fact that Wijnaldum led his teammates to a season of absolutely smashing an Ajax team led by Ronald de Boer’s brother will no doubt have played a part in this petty reaction to the player’s move.

PSV wrapped up the Dutch title by April and eventually finished a massive 17 points ahead of Ajax.

Ronal de Boer speaking to (writing for) Voetbal International in Holland:

“In Newcastle, Wijnaldum is being hailed as a great saviour. Georginio is a great football player, but not the type that guides a mid-table English club to the championship, and that is the atmosphere which is being created in Newcastle.

“Wijnaldum is an excellent team player, but for example, he still needs a lot of chances to score.

“In England this is conveniently ignored. With the current hype in Newcastle it will be difficult for Wijnaldum to meet the lofty expectations.”