Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

He had a surprisingly poor game yesterday. Mentally he didn't look with it, and didn't get involved. I don't know whether he actually played for Holland last week, and whether that affected him.

Undoubtedly a good player, so I'm assuming this is a one-off.

When you buy a player from a country like Holland you're clearly taking a risk and hoping that he can up his game massively from playing against two bit teams most weeks to some of the best players in Europe. At PSV he was in a team who had 70% possession most games and dictate the way the game is played, the total opposite to us. It's a big ask and he'll take time to settle. Still think he'll come good in the end.

The problem might be that he wants to play as a number 10, which might be fine on the continent but he's not cutting it in the PL. Needs to drop deeper until he gets a better handle on all things English I think. McClaren should see this also.

Looks like to me he's struggling with the intensity of the league a bit. Understandable. And i say that given he hasn't looked anywhere near as good as he did in Holland. I'm sure he has it in him and i hope he turns into a great player. Not really contributing much to general play at the moment though.

Looks like to me he's struggling with the intensity of the league a bit. Understandable. And i say that given he hasn't looked anywhere near as good as he did in Holland. I'm sure he has it in him and i hope he turns into a great player. Not really contributing much to general play at the moment though.

I thought he looked a lot more involved when he dropped deeper when Anita went off. I don't think it's him in particular, just with Colback and Anita as two holding midfielders, there's just not enough movement and the ball isn't getting to the more advanced players.

Passing forward, quickly from midfield is something we need. Anita/Colback passes are a "here, you have it.. you try something".

Also carrying the ball forward is essential from midfield. Jonas had no end product but he did bring the ball out well. Anita and Colback are definitely "here, you have it.. you try something".

Should player deeper in our team. He is mobile, can move with the ball and can pick a pass. No reason he can't play box to box. De Jong or Perez ahead of him.

:thup:

I could see the logic in trying to protect him for a few games but this just has to happen. Crying out for someone that can actually take a risk and open up a team from deeper positions, would create more space for other attackers too.

Should player deeper in our team. He is mobile, can move with the ball and can pick a pass. No reason he can't play box to box. De Jong or Perez ahead of him.

:thup: He's a big unit who can move, dribble, and pass. He shouldn't be facing CB's, but should be up against smaller midfielders to take advantage of his size. It also gives him a better opportunity to ghost into the box unmarked/untracked if he has to come from deeper.

I thought he showed what he's capable of in the second half, when we started actually driving forward. We are playing without any tempo, that's why Janmaat and Sissoko stood out a mile because of their energy.