Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

3 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

This is essentially an argument that has no facts as none of us are behind the scenes day to day the same as none of us know how much Man City or man united’s “cheerleaders” cost.  Need to trust those who are living it.

I think my point is I want my squad to be filled with players I would select and put into games. If your filling a squad place to do the behind scene stuff we don't see and appreciate it I applaud the player for not kicking up a fuss not playing but if they still on any decent sort of wage then they have a great future as a coach but that shouldn't involve a squad place or player wage anymore. 

Just now, nufcjmc said:

I think my point is I want my squad to be filled with players I would select and put into games. If your filling a squad place to do the behind scene stuff we don't see and appreciate it I applaud the player for not kicking up a fuss not playing but if they still on any decent sort of wage then they have a great future as a coach but that shouldn't involve a squad place or player wage anymore. 

As someone whose involved in a management team myself - be it in a completely different career obviously - I just think this is a very simplistic view. Get it working then look at how it can continuously improve, evolve and streamline. 

I don’t think we would have all of these people around by design. But we’re making the most of what they can offer while we transition to a higher-quality squad. 

We were never going to boot everyone out, and we also have a fair few people who are basically unsaleable. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think we would have all of these people around by design. But we’re making the most of what they can offer while we transition to a higher-quality squad. 

We were never going to boot everyone out, and we also have a fair few people who are basically unsaleable. 

That’sa very good point, for all we know Howe could be making them feel part of it more by using their strengths in other areas like lascelles leadership until he does go.

Some games, particularly in Europe you need a no nonsense centre back, instead of an elegant ball playing centre back. 

Picture the scene, winning 1-0 at the Bernabeu with 30 mins to go. Switch shape to 3 at the back, with Lascelles in the centre, ready to kick or head into touch any balls that come into the area. And let's not forget his aerial threat at corners etc, still the defender other than Trippier most likely to nick a goal. 

Honestly don't mind Lascelles, a good lad and semi-useful, even if we get Todibo / Disasi. I'd much rather have Lascelles than Dummett / Ritchie who literally I can't see when or how we'd ever use. 

I think Howe had to come out and give some praise as Lascelles has pretty much been emasculated over the last season in keeping the token role of club captain when we all know Tripps is that person.

Like the player must know he’s on the absolute fringes in terms of team selection. Don’t get me wrong, he did well last season when he came on those few times but overall he’s playing a totally different sport to what the newcomers are playing.

He’s a top pro though and nobody can ever question his commitment to the club.. I just feel it’s all a bit sentimental when we could be getting 8-10 million for the lad.

Think this is a great move personally. Fully expecting the likes of Lascelles et al to be shipped out next summer but there is probably a reality in that we won't be buying a multitude of players and the likes of Lascelles will still be sufficient/capable this season to be bit -part players and 'comfortable' ones at that (in that - they won't kick up a fuss if they don't play).

Ritchie clearly brought Gordon into line last season after his tantrum at Brentford last season, Lascelles very much helped and encouraged from the sidelines and performed well when called upon.

Both are clearly influencing the mentality behind the scenes and maintaining a mantra set by Benitez. Lascelles kicked the arses of those who came to the club as a stepping stone and read the riot act, for me it's that mentality that has somewhat got us to where we now are and I'm grateful for that. This season is all about consolidation for me, top 6 ideally, and maintaining as many metrics possible is key to consolidate with the addition of one or two quality players to hopefully raise our level ever so slightly. Once we get a second full season of performance the bar will raise with FFP and the longer we continue to consolidate the more we are capable of continously improving with FFP less of an obstacle.

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think Howe had to come out and give some praise as Lascelles has pretty much been emasculated over the last season in keeping the token role of club captain when we all know Tripps is that person.

Like the player must know he’s on the absolute fringes in terms of team selection. Don’t get me wrong, he did well last season when he came on those few times but overall he’s playing a totally different sport to what the newcomers are playing.

He’s a top pro though and nobody can ever question his commitment to the club.. I just feel it’s all a bit sentimental when we could be getting 8-10 million for the lad.

We’re never getting that for him, don’t think anyone ever bids for him.

As it stands, a good a CL run and half decent runs in the domestic cups, Lascelles is playing 10+ games. Absolutely no way Howe entertains the idea of someone who he doesn’t deem capable playing that much. Regardless of how good he is around the group.

7 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Eh? Trippier has 5 goals in his PL career.

I'm astonished it's that low - didn't he go on a run of scoring like 3 direct free-kicks in a row the season before last? Might've been 2 - either way that's around 50% of his total tally in the space of a couple of months :lol:

3 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Nor for me, I think we need him here ans he dully deserves his testimonial 

Just now, Ben said:

Nor for me, I think we need him here ans he dully deserves his testimonial 

I honestly think with him and the option of burn (even more so if or when we get a CB, maybe one for next year) then we’re fine in CB for now personally. 

I've always found it weird that when we are 0-0 in tight games at home. We never entertain bringing  lascelles on for his goal threat from set pieces. Might be worth a shout in the future with the amount of set pieces we get. 

Eddie is like the uassuming guy that runs the crime family. The brains behind the operation.

Lacelles is one of his loyal enforcers, a Luca Brasi. Dummet seems to be that way also, Eddie must like having him around.

(this was based on nothing, I just made it up)

Just now, Mountain said:

Eddie is like the uassuming guy that runs the crime family. The brains behind the operation.

Lacelles is one of his loyal enforcers, a Luca Brasi. Dummet seems to be that way also, Eddie must like having him around.

(this was based on nothing, I just made it up)

whatever troubles you’re going through, it’s gonna be alright. 

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

whatever troubles you’re going through, it’s gonna be alright. 

Thank you my friend.

But I'm not the one who's got the last letter of his username on a seperate line.

We both have troubles.

Just now, Mountain said:

Thank you my friend.

But I'm not the one who's got the last letter of his username on a seperate line.

We both have troubles.

:lol: my username was originally Mr Raspberry Jam. I asked the admins to break it down to MrRaspberryJam, as the “Jam” was the only word on the last line. As you can see it made it worse. Tomorrow when I’m back on my laptop I’m going to ask if it can be changed to all lowercase and see if that puts the full username on one line. 

if that doesn’t work I’ll just delete my account. 

43 minutes ago, andycap said:

I've always found it weird that when we are 0-0 in tight games at home. We never entertain bringing  lascelles on for his goal threat from set pieces. Might be worth a shout in the future with the amount of set pieces we get. 

Old school I like it

Don't think any modern day manager would ever do it sadly

10 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

:lol: my username was originally Mr Raspberry Jam. I asked the admins to break it down to MrRaspberryJam, as the “Jam” was the only word on the last line. As you can see it made it worse. Tomorrow when I’m back on my laptop I’m going to ask if it can be changed to all lowercase and see if that puts the full username on one line. 

if that doesn’t work I’ll just delete my account. 

I understand your pain.