Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

Great to see him get some recognition, talk of England call-up etc, but still see him as our third best Centre half.

Individually it could be argued he's third best but when taking into account his leadership and effect on the rest of the side he's the best.

Great to see him get some recognition, talk of England call-up etc, but still see him as our third best Centre half.

Individually it could be argued he's third best but when taking into account his leadership and effect on the rest of the side he's the best.

I'd absolutely love to see Rafa try a 3-5-2, we've definitely got the players for it. Clarke, Lejenue, Lascelles at the back, Yedlin on the right bombing up and down and wor Geordie Pau- nevermind :lol:

Still, I think we're a natural left wing-back away from having a really decent starting 11 in that formation. Shelvey sitting deep and playing the quarter back, with Merino and Hayden cleaning up. 2 up top, Jos/Mitro + Gayle.

Rafa really didn't want to play Mbemba last season: -

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamaal-lascelles-opens-up-pain-13736282

Jamaal Lascelles opens up on the pain of playing with a double hernia for Newcastle last season

Newcastle United captain Jamaal Lascelles signed a new six-year contract with the Magpies last week

Chris Waugh

16:00, 9 OCT 2017

UPDATED18:00, 9 OCT 2017

Jamaal Lascelles admits it was “difficult” playing with a double hernia last season - but that there was “too much on the line” for Newcastle United for him to have an operation sooner.

The 23-year-old captained the Magpies to promotion and the Championship title last season despite suffering from the injury throughout the second half of the campaign, which he has revealed his affect key areas of his game.

Lascelles featured in all of United’s second-tier matches last term until promotion was clinched with three games to go against Preston North End - and then he underwent a double-hernia operation.

Having had the whole summer to recover, Lascelles is now fully fit and is playing arguably the best football of his career.

“It was hard,” Lascelles - who was involved in a training-ground bust-up with team-mate Mo Diame last week - told NUFCTV after signing a new six-year contract with Newcastle.

“One of my main strengths in terms of football is probably my athleticism but obviously with double hernias you can’t move too much, you can’t sprint, you can’t turn, I couldn’t use my left foot - not that I like doing that anyway - so it was quite difficult.

“I used to get injections before every game to mask the pain. Then training during the week, especially during the winter, was quite hardcore.

“It was one of them where it was an injury that can’t really get worse so I just tried to get on with it because there was too much on the line for me not to be involved.”

Lascelles did not start the Premier League season in Rafa Benitez’s first-choice XI, instead finding himself on the bench for the opening match against Tottenham Hotspur.

However, following Florian Lejeune’s injury, Lascelles found himself back in the side and he has excelled in recent weeks - including scoring back-to-back winners against Swansea City and Stoke City.

“The minute we got promoted, that’s when I got the operation done,” Lascelles added.

“But now I’m fine, my head’s in the right place, my body’s fit and we’ve started off quite well so we can definitely put our foot down even more and crack on.

“It was quite difficult playing with double hernias and for the period of time I played with it, but now my body is fine and I can really concentrate on playing football.

“I have had a good few games but it’s about being consistent and I think the main thing for me and the team is that we stay consistent and not get ahead of ourselves after a couple of good games.”

He's improved on the ball a hell of a lot. He's still not great but certainly getting there; lovely through ball for Ritchie today, who was half a yard from getting that and having a chance at goal.

He's got the attributes to be an excellent defender and captain, with the right coaching I think he could turn out to be something special.  He's certainly showing the PL isn't a level above him.  With him,  Clark and Lejeune I think we've got the best set of CBs we've had for quite a while.

Don't remember him putting a foot wrong today.  Seemed alright on the ball too.

For some reason th entire tone of this post reads like a backhanded compliment.

Find a lot of football fans find it difficult to change their opinion of a footballer. Reticent to give due credit.

Nah. I love the guy. That's why I bumped the thread with two positive points [emoji38]

Southgate was there today, obviously watching three players in my view, Shelvey, Townsend and this lad, he did his case no harm at all today.

If he does get a call up for the November internationals, his first two games will be against Germany and Brazil :lol:

Haven’t seen the game, did he do enough to make a good impression on Southgate? Edit: just saw Afar’s comment :thup:)

TBF it was far from a difficult game for any centre half, but when called upon he did the right thing consistently.