Jamaal Lascelles: set to miss 6–9 months with ACL injury (Official)

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

I mean I wouldn't be looking for wholesale changes at CB like. Our group are mint and I like them all individually. Bringing one quality player in like Dunk would be enough imo.

You wouldn’t replace them all, but there are 3 standout candidates due to the issues mentioned above.

Dunk is another one often overlooked, he's the ability to boss games at the back like Jamaal. If England are after good defenders, they're missing out big time with Lascelles & Dunk. I mean fucking Walker plays at CB for them, albeit on the right of a 3.

Dunk is very underrated - on the ball he is canny - even takes the occasional free kick

I've had Dunk on my fantasy football bench, all season. It's remarkable the number of times I've wished I used him. I remember him being touted at a young age, and while he's never hit the big time, he's more than capable. People are banging on about Ake being snapped up from Bournemouth but Dunk is a better CB, in my opinion. Whether Ake is more valuable as a ball player than Dunk is as a CB remains to be seen, obviously, but it's Bournemouth that look like going down.

Totally agree - Dunk over Ake for me - Dunk is actually just as good on the ball if not better - there was a through ball he played this season that had it been KDB.....

The perfect partner for Jamaal has always been someone who can read the game and play with the ball better than him. It’s why Lejeune, Clark, and Fernandez worked so well with him in a 2 over the years. They are less risky in positioning and better on ball than Jamaal. Schar is incredibly talented in every area but clearly more comfortable in a 3.

Don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough for England. A big part of a centre-back role with England the majority of matches is being able to step out from defence confidently and pick a pass against teams sat with two deep defensive lines.

Mings, Stones, Maguire all loads better than him like? At passing maybe, defending nah.

Apart from against maybe half a dozen countries, you’d play those three you’ve listed over Lascelles imo. The number of games we play where we’re going to be under the cosh is minimal.

The perfect partner for Jamaal has always been someone who can read the game and play with the ball better than him. It’s why Lejeune, Clark, and Fernandez worked so well with him in a 2 over the years. They are less risky in positioning and better on ball than Jamaal. Schar is incredibly talented in every area but clearly more comfortable in a 3.

Everyone, Bruce included, seems to have forgotten about Schar. I've always rated him.....

Don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough for England. A big part of a centre-back role with England the majority of matches is being able to step out from defence confidently and pick a pass against teams sat with two deep defensive lines.

Mings, Stones, Maguire all loads better than him like? At passing maybe, defending nah.

Apart from against maybe half a dozen countries, you’d play those three you’ve listed over Lascelles imo. The number of games we play where we’re going to be under the cosh is minimal.

Mings wouldn't be ahead of Dunk or Lascelles in any circumstances imo. Can only imagine it's because he plays for Villa or something as he's done nothing to warrant being ahead of the two mentioned. It's clear as day that they're both better than him.

Everyone, Bruce included, seems to have forgotten about Schar. I've always rated him.....

Couple of bad games after returning from injury, he's the shittest player in the world now...

It's a lot different defending for us with two midfielders standing in front of you most of the time than defending for a top team

Aye. For us he has good protection, and he can give the ball to someone else to start an attack. For England, he’d have less of that and a lot of onus would be on him to be the one to start the attacks.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a solid top half centre-back, possibly top 7, but I think he needs more to his game to make it at international level. If he played for one of the other home nations where they set out similar to a defensively minded Premier League team he’d be perfect. He’d have 50 caps if he was Scottish or Irish and would suit their styles perfectly.

Couple of bad games after returning from injury, he's the shittest player in the world now...

Schar is one of my favorite players at this club. Ideally we could operate with a fully fit Schar and Lejeune and just play people off the park! But not sure that is ever possible :lol:

Guest chopey

I think the fact that he is an absolute beast and probably a proper hard cunt is invaluable in this league as well, I can't remember once since he came that we have had a mini on field brawl that he hasn't sorted out, the other month when the Everton player (I think) was pretending Lascelles had had breath, I remember thinking " your getting a clip".

I was a big fan of Lejeune-Lascelles-Schar as a three, but Fernandez-Lascelles is doing the business as a two, and we look better as a team for it.

It’s nothing more than a suspicion, but I feel both Lejeune and Schar suffer in a two because their defensive limitations are a little more exposed. I think it’s especially true of Schar, but I can’t remember Lejeune shining in a two either.

I was a big fan of Lejeune-Lascelles-Schar as a three, but Fernandez-Lascelles is doing the business as a two, and we look better as a team for it.

It’s nothing more than a suspicion, but I feel both Lejeune and Schar suffer in a two because their defensive limitations are a little more exposed. I think it’s especially true of Schar, but I can’t remember Lejeune shining in a two either.

Yea, I think I’m the same on this. Although I think Lejeune looks just as good in a two the Lascelles and Fernandez combo just seems to work best at the minute.

He was outstanding at the back end of his first season alongside Lascelles, a huge reason why we finished so strongly. It’s his injuries that concern me, not his ability.

Fernandez has been a really superb signing considering he was a last minute buy and we wouldn't have signed him if Lejeune hadn't got injured

Up there with Dubravka & Saint-Maximin for value, for sure. I was pleased when we got him but didn't expect him to turn out to be such a crucial member of the team.

Jamaal should work on his ball carrying into space more - he's a freight train when he gets a head of steam, should look to push the ball into space more before laying it off. He may not be able to pass the ball like his defending partners but if he worked on his confidence pushing into space with the ball before passing it'd def be a good thing for him.

• 3 months later...

Jesus wept

“At 1-1 when Darlow saved we thought 'Is it one of those days for us' but I think we pushed on too much. We maybe should have realised we're playing against Manchester United and kind of just shut up shop a little bit more and gone for the draw and looked to counter attack them a bit.”

Get in the fucking sea.

They had so many bloody shots because we were sat back. Push up a bit and I guarantee there's less pressure on the defence. Not sure why our beloved manager and captain refuse to see that.

We had SEVEN shots, it's hardly as if we were playing like Barca.