Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

If this lad went to Southampton or Everton for example, he'd be never used at full back and would have been blooded in slowly to centre back and looked very promising by now. We tend to throw our kids in at the deep end and then hang them out to dry.

Mbabu and Aarons probably only exceptions recently.

We threw them in at the deep end as well, they just happened to cope with it.

If this lad went to Southampton or Everton for example, he'd be never used at full back and would have been blooded in slowly to centre back and looked very promising by now. We tend to throw our kids in at the deep end and then hang them out to dry.

We threw them in at the deep end as well, they just happened to cope with it.

Sorry I meant they are exceptions because they happened to cope with it, most of our other players have struggled and at times, had the manager on their backs about it.

I don't condone throwing all players in at the deep end. I prefer building them in to the side so they learn and grow with confidence at the same time.

Guest palnese

Stones has played full back at Everton.

Chambers has played full back at both Southampton and Arsenal.

Jones and Smalling at Man Utd.

It's a fairly common thing to put young CB's in wide positions.

he's fucking huge but moves like the fella out of the green mile, never, ever going to make it in the PL

[emoji38]

i take you think i'm judging him harshly :lol:

perhaps a bit there, but he really doesn't look to have the movement or agility to be a decent PL defender imo

• 5 weeks later...

Jamaal Lascelles says Newcastle are ''battering teams every week'' but must start winning games

Defender Lascelles, who nearly headed a winner last Saturday, said: “We need to start cashing in a bit.

“We need to get three points, we can’t just keep getting a point every week or losing. We need to kick on and start moving our way up the table.

“We’ve put up some good games against some really good teams.

“We’re getting the chances, we’re getting the balls in good areas and we’re having lots of shots on target, it’s just not dropping for us – but as the season goes on I’m sure it will.

“We’re battering teams every week. It’s just the goals — but they’ll come.”

The summer signing says he is “patient” as he waits to make a Premier League start, which could come on the South Coast if Daryl Janmaat is injured.

He added: “There’s a lot of competition at the back so I’m not going to be expecting to play, but I’m ready if needed.”

he's fucking huge but moves like the fella out of the green mile, never, ever going to make it in the PL

[emoji38]

perhaps a bit there, but he really doesn't look to have the movement or agility to be a decent PL defender imo

That Mertersacker fella does alright.

he's f***ing huge but moves like the fella out of the green mile, never, ever going to make it in the PL

[emoji38]

And that Williamson doesn't.

Let's judge him on his own abilities.

First couple of times I saw him I was sure he was a lost cause, last couple of times I've been more encouraged. Just don't play him at fullback.

Does that include Sunderland?

If we sign another defender I'd like to see this lad sent on loan. I don't think  he's excelled at Championship level yet. Not sure our bench is the best place for him if we sign another CB. Although he does seem to be 3rd choice CB. I would have Dummett in before him and someone else at FB.

he's f***ing huge but moves like the fella out of the green mile, never, ever going to make it in the PL

[emoji38]

And that Williamson doesn't.

Let's judge him on his own abilities.

Williamson doesnt because he's also physically weak as well slow

I've been relatively impressed based on his last couple of outings.

I'd love to be wrong but I can't recall ever seeing a defender as ponderously slow as he looked the first time I saw him.

You could well be right - I haven't seen enough of him yet to really judge, but I was expecting something far worse than I saw.  Keep hoping that extract in the Michael Calvin book on scouting is correct about Lascelles' potential.

With Williamson - it's more technical and mental than physical imo. He gets rattled very badly and nervous. The crowd gets nervous. He then has no conviction. the little technique he has goes to pot, he becomes reactive and instead of proactive etc.

He's weak as shite as well as having no technical ability whatsoever. At least Lascelles looks like he could be a bit of a beast, have barely seen him so don't really want to comment on his actual ability yet.

I've been relatively impressed based on his last couple of outings.

I'd love to be wrong but I can't recall ever seeing a defender as ponderously slow as he looked the first time I saw him.

He just looks like he doesn't know where he is positionally or how he's supposed to work with his partner. It might just be settling in nerves if I'm being generous. Need to see a lot more to be convinced either way at the moment. Nice header against Stoke though, we don't see enough of those from set pieces tbh.