Chancel Mbemba

Nobody

Which i think will improve as the season goes on, do think Haidara needs to learn from Janmaat on how to stop crosses coming into the box so consistently.

Don't really remember anything coming through Janmaat's side ( yes he should have done better at dealing with the crosses once they got there) but Haidara's side was constantly peppered with crosses. So that needs to improve but despite all that i do see a light at the end of the tunnel, unlike before were it seemed like everything was going to be bad forever.

Genuinely convinced it was more due to a lack of communication between the back 4 than it was him lacking aerial ability tbh.

Agree

Did you see Leicester goals? 2 smallest players got headed goals against Coates/Kaboul.

Would love a beast defender to replace Colo, but those 2, in time, with right drilling can/should deal with crosses

Genuinely convinced it was more due to a lack of communication between the back 4 than it was him lacking aerial ability tbh.

:thup:

We've been shit defending from balls in for fucking donkeys and both goals yesterday seemed down to shambolic communication all round as opposed to individual errors.

Aye Janmaat should have been shouting at him to get back or tried to challenge Pele himself

I think he misjudged the flight of the ball for the goal.

Which comes down to lack of communication tbh, both he and Janmaat should have been communicating that situation better. As i said i believe that will improve as the season goes on.

Not really. The ball came from a long way out and he wasn't running back to goal at a fast pace. He had time to readjust his position a bit but he didn't.

Was more dissappointed with Janmaat for the third. He's been here for a year now and he's still making the same mistake at the far post. He needs to focus more on disrupting the opponent in the air. Even if you don't win it, make the striker have to earn that header. Having all that time and space gave Long the freedom to connect with the header so sweetly. I'm sure McClaren will work on that in training.

Thought this guy looked quality. It was great to see us have 2 central defenders who are so comfortable on the ball, it makes a massive difference to our general play knowing we won't have to hoof it long as soon as it goes to the right-sided centre back. A couple of times in the second half he just easily outpaced or outmuscled one of the Southampton players when they tried to knock it past him and take him on, anyone else and they would have been breaking through on goal.

It was a good cross in and Pelle was always going to win that header. I was more worried about Janmatt for their second, he checked to see where Long was and hardly jumped in any attempt to win the header, I don't think he expected Long to be challenging.

Guest Recoba

Clearly our best centre back, based on one performance, a dubious honour anyway...

I like him a lot, young, quick, powerful.  Hopefully the first choice back four can develop an understanding so we do not leak goals all year.

• 2 weeks later...