Ivan Toney (now playing for Brentford)

joeyt

Not even sure he told his mates to bet on it, just that he was moving there. 

Worst one was a bookies opening a market on that non-league keeper eating a pie or something on the bench and him doing it. Sure he got a ban but bet the bookies who ran the market got no punishment. 

5 minutes ago, Manxst said:

While that is daft of him, the only losers in this scenario are the betting companies and honestly fuck them cunts. 

5 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

California just voted down an initiative that would allow online gambling.  Thankfully. (I voted against against the initiative myself. )

why if I may ask? It’s a legitimate leisure pursuit and as the US have proved in the past prohibiting stuff that has a public demand rarely minimises the societal harm. Far better to regulate imho.

fwiw I’ll declare I have skin in the game as I work in the online gambling industry. 

30 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not even sure he told his mates to bet on it, just that he was moving there. 

Worst one was a bookies opening a market on that non-league keeper eating a pie or something on the bench and him doing it. Sure he got a ban but bet the bookies who ran the market got no punishment. 

The lack of accountability for the firms themselves is astounding. Even one single brand can fulfil a self-perpetuating cycle of introducing a 'next manager of x club', market push rumours about that next manager on their own news channels before touting the betting prices they created and taking money based on their own unsubstantiated rumours. Totally above board. But God forbid a lad's mates make a bit of profit on his next place of work. :lol:

It goes without saying that that rant is also totally separate to if someone is betting on things that can influence an actual match.

1 hour ago, tgarve said:

Trippier didn’t bet on it 

he told his friends he was moving to atletico then they did 

Completely different incidents 

Also was nothing effecting results in game etc. It was just a heads up to mates on a possible transfer. Not sure if he should’ve got charged for anything TBH. More fool the bookies with that particular betting market.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Also was nothing effecting results in game etc. It was just a heads up to mates on a possible transfer. Not sure if he should’ve got charged for anything TBH. More fool the bookies with that particular betting market.

Well he got charged and served a 10 game ban, which is quite a hefty punishment. Didn't he have legal representation to protest that it was never anything serious?

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Well he got charged and served a 10 game ban, which is quite a hefty punishment. Didn't he have legal representation to protest that it was never anything serious?

Also got a £70k fine. He claimed at the time that the messages to his mates were just ‘banter’, but the disciplinary committee found otherwise and him guilty of four breaches of a rule which prevents players from providing information to others on their position which is not available in public at the time. It might’ve just been a ‘heads up’ to mates, but it’s still a transgression of regulations and he was daft for doing it. 

Trippier had supposedly sent messages telling his mates that he was going to Atletico and they could "lump on". Whether or not he should have faced any sanction is debatable but it is inside information that was clearly provable in via messages so it is probably fair enough. Still think it's only the careless/stupid that get pulled up on these things and any player who even makes half an effort to not get caught won't get caught - unless it is actual fixing and there is a ton of money going down in obscure markets that would obviously raise some red flags (proving any direct connection would be another matter though).

12 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

So because we don’t want grasping parasites to lose a minuscule percentage of their hoardings, people aren’t allowed to tell their mates about a new job?

Not if it’s against regulations that you’ve signed up to abide by, no. Just keep your mouth shut for a week or two. Surely the £100k a week wage would be a sufficient incentive? 

To be honest I think that sort of thing should be fair game. If bookies are going to give markets for that sort of thing then they should take the hits as well as the billions they make from people.

Things like Toney getting himself sent-off though where it's impacting the sport and game is different.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Looking at what Tripper did and what he got given as punishment then you'd hope Toney gets a longer ban. If anything I'd say, ban him from playing for the rest of the current season,  whack a fine on him and call it done.

I have a sneaky suspicion it's bookies that have lost money that are the ones who report this stuff to the authorities.

Silly boy. Seems that he wasn't betting on games he was involved in, but rules are rules. I think gambling in general is something that needs to be looked at in serious depth.

That was only so Government dont legislate for it themselves. Think they tried to get general PL agreement that they would have no more front shirt sponsors for gambling firms and allow existing deals to run to 24/25. But Id imagine there would still be sleeve sponsors allowed, stadium sponsors etc.

It should be legislated for imo. Ban it from kits and stadium advertising. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar