Ivan Toney (now playing for Brentford)

joeyt

To those saying 235 isn't that big a number, it's not 235 bets, it's 235 breeches.

Footballers are allowed to bet, are they not? Just not on their own team. 

At best it's outright stupidity on a ridiculous scale, if that's what he's done. At worst, if he's betting on his team to lose, it could be match fixing.

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

To those saying 235 isn't that big a number, it's not 235 bets, it's 235 breeches.

At best it's outright stupidity on a ridiculous scale, if that's what he's done. At worst, if he's betting on his team to lose, it could be match fixing.

Not allowed to bet at all IIRC

Sounds like a sad state of affairs like, clearly addicted if he’s putting that scale of bets on when he knows it’s not permitted. I know that we all have things that we need to give us a buzz or occupy our minds but I always find it sad that players, especially successful ones like Toney feel the need to gamble a lot

11 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

35 breaches for Barton - 18 month ban and the FA said that was the "shortest possible" ban they could have given.

Toney is being charged with nearly seven times that :kasper:

Barton had been betting on games involving his own team, including against them, which probably acted as an aggravating factor.

1 hour ago, jonny1403 said:

Why do you say its unlikely? There's been several footballers banned in the last few years for very similar offences.

Reading tge fa charges website, there is 2 a month for an E8. Owners, directors, players and managers. All sorts getting charged yet you don't hear 24 cases of long term suspensions a year. 

Last noticeable one was Barton and that was ares ago...plus I think the fa had had enough of him by then. Easy excuse to finish off his career.

19 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

The whole breach/bet 'difference' is interesting. Just reading this old article about Barton and it seems the FA handpicked the most egregious breaches out of 1200 or so bets;

And while the former Rangers midfielder gambled on more than 1,200 football matches, the FA picked out 30 of the most serious offences as they involved his own team.

That reads to me that the 232 'breaches' could be all of bets placed, the most egregious handpicked, or somewhere in between. If they've gone for most egregious but can still only narrow that down to 232 he could be royally fucked. :lol:

Edited by wormy

Trippier got a 10 week worldwide football ban for telling 4 of his mates he was moving to Atletico, who then subsequently bet on it to happen, fuck know what they're going to do to someone who breached the rules 232 times.

26 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

They're not even allowed to bet on games in a competition their team is playing in.

A breach could also be passing on information that wouldn't be otherwise publicly available.

26 minutes ago, 54 said:

Trippier got a 10 week worldwide football ban for telling 4 of his mates he was moving to Atletico, who then subsequently bet on it to happen, fuck know what they're going to do to someone who breached the rules 232 times.

It's a pretty clear difference placing bets on an unkown outcome and advising friends to place bets based on inside information. 

9 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It's a pretty clear difference placing bets on an unkown outcome and advising friends to place bets based on inside information. 

I don't think Tripper actually knew about the betting to be fair, he just told his mates and they where dicks about it.

Re : betting. I only bet on certainties (yes, I know..) My last bet was Sunderland to be relegated from the championship straight after their relegation from the Prem. 25/1. Ridiculous odds for a team and club that was clearly fucked in every way imaginable. Haven't bet once since. Delightful on many levels. Making good money out of taking-the-knee denialist Faragistes. Lovely.

Assuming there's a punishment coming his way I hope it's proportionate and he doesn't get totally vilified. He doesn't come access like an arsehole and it would be too depressing for words if his career was ruined. 

Think he does come across like an arsehole tbh (his comments disparaging the club he plays for on two separate occasions, anyway) but agree with the sentiment. Would be surprised if the ban was any longer than a few months although I guess it will depend a lot on the specifics, which makes it difficult to assess too much in terms of precedent just now. 

34 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Assuming there's a punishment coming his way I hope it's proportionate and he doesn't get totally vilified. He doesn't come access like an arsehole and it would be too depressing for words if his career was ruined. 

I think he does, like. Although I actually agree with the rest of your post that the punishment shouldn't be over the top for this.

14 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I think he does, like. Although I actually agree with the rest of your post that the punishment shouldn't be over the top for this.

What do people think is an acceptable punishment? It has to be sufficient enough to deter other players from doing it - the rule is there for a reason to up hold the integrity of the game.  They get paid a lot of money for the job they do, and are in a privileged position that most people can only dream of and let's be honest it is quite a simple rule to follow.

9 minutes ago, duo said:

What do people think is an acceptable punishment? It has to be sufficient enough to deter other players from doing it - the rule is there for a reason to up hold the integrity of the game.  They get paid a lot of money for the job they do, and are in a privileged position that most people can only dream of and let's be honest it is quite a simple rule to follow.

Ten games if they are serious about putting a stop to it.

However if they are serious about it they also need to stop surrounding football and footballers with gambling advertising and endorsements.