Newcastle United vs Northampton Town - League Cup - Tues 25th Aug 19:45 (no TV)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Don't see the need to give Darlow a kick just because. There's a middle ground between sending out a reserves team to get humped and picking the first XI.

We have players who need 90 minutes of match time in their legs, some who deserve a chance to shine and some who should be playing because they're our best options.

I think something like:

Krul; Janmaat, Mbemba, Taylor, Dummett; Tiote, Anita; Thauvin, De Jong, Aarons; Mitrovic

suits me...

EDIT: Harsh on Perez, and Colo could do with the added match time, but you can only pick XI

Don't see the need to give Darlow a kick just because. There's a middle ground between sending out a reserves team to get humped and picking the first XI.

We have players who need 90 minutes of match time in their legs, some who deserve a chance to shine and some who should be playing because they're our best options.

I think something like:

Krul; Janmaat, Mbemba, Taylor, Dummett; Tiote, Anita; Thauvin, De Jong, Aarons; Mitrovic

suits me...

I'd go with that too, won't be upset if they give Darlow a game though.

I think something like:

suits me...

It's a game in which he should barely be troubled. Nothing wrong with handing him a home debut and chance of a morale boosting clean sheet.

I'm looking forward to this one, it'll be my first game this season. I'd like to see Kemen get some minutes to see if the lad is worth the hassle but ideally a strong a first 11 as possible. I really hope Aarons, Thauvin and Perez are all heavily involved.

Darlow; Janmaat, Lascelles, Coloccini, Haidara; Anita, Wijnaldum; Aarons, De Jong, Thauvin; Mitrovic

Would like to see this side; or possibly with Perez in for one of the front four. De Jong and Aarons could both do with a start and some decent minutes though.

Obviously I want to see some proof of us taking the cups seriously, but I don't think there's any harm in rotating a bit on Tuesday. We're at home to Northampton, it really should be an easy win. I won't be getting the pitchforks out if it's quite detached from the first XI.

I would like to see this though:

Krul

Janmaat --- Mbemba --- Taylor --- Dummett

---------- Wijnaldum --- Tiote ----------------

Thauvin ----------- Perez -------------- Aarons

------------------ Mitrovic ---------------------

Tiote only really because he's clearly going to be playing his part this season, if the opening fixtures are anything to go by - so he needs to get up to scratch.

Past history of Newcastle United versus lower league opposition means we should pick a very strong team. This game is a big stage for the Northampton Town players to impress so I'm sure they'll be giving it their all.

Fitness permitting I'd start De Jong, Aarons and Tiote (I'd start Dummett if he's fit enough but I doubt he is). I wouldn't start Lascelles or Darlow. They weren't that good in pre-season. I highly doubt we'll see any of the players the club want to sell (Williamson, Vučkić, Bigirimana, Gouffran or Elliot) either.

Ivan Toney can be on the bench and can come on if we are winning comfortably (not that we ever seem to against lower league opposition).