Newcastle United vs Northampton Town - League Cup - Tues 25th Aug 19:45 (no TV)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

If 9 changes are true, that's a bit concerning especially given the rhetoric of we are going to give the cups a real go

That's only the FA cup and only if we look safe by the time it comes around.

Yeah, this.  At the time that our new cup philosophy was first communicated it was made clear the league cup would not be a priority.  Yet most articles that have been written in the last few days are acting as if we are treating as a priority.  Lazy journalists.

Not really, McClaren was asked about the League Cup and he said he's taking it seriously and wants to win it.

Opened up a load of cash turnstiles, suggests demand may not have been huge...

From 6.15pm on Tuesday, cash turnstiles will be in operation and will be located at:

Gallowgate East Corner - 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53

Gallowgate Upper - 60, 61, 62, 63, 66

Gallowgate West Corner - 70, 71, 72, 73, 74

Leazes Middle - 25, 26

It's the mentality rather than team selection which will stand out for me. We're playing a team whose star player last season is in our reserves. We should be able to pick any 11 from about 23-25 players tonight and win. The main issue in the past was Pardew picking teams who could probably still beat who they were facing personnel wise, but not caring about it if we didn't and would rather not be there. I don't think that's in McClaren's make up at all.

All due respect to Northampton but this is the kind of game I'd want to see the likes of Lascelles and Darlow and other 'fringe' players given a chance. Not because I want us to take this cup lightly, but really, they should have enough about them to get a result against a League 2 side at home. If not in games like this, when do they get a chance to show what they can do? Only first-choice players I'd want to see in the team I think are Mitrovic and maybe Thauvin to get their match fitness up.

All due respect to Northampton but this is the kind of game I'd want to see the likes of Lascelles and Darlow and other 'fringe' players given a chance. Not because I want us to take this cup lightly, but really, they should have enough about them to get a result against a League 2 side at home. If not in games like this, when do they get a chance to show what they can do? Only first-choice players I'd want to see in the team I think are Mitrovic and maybe Thauvin to get their match fitness up.

Exactly how I look at it. If these players aren't good enough to beat teams like Northampton then they shouldn't really be here. We could easily make up a pretty strong 11 from the players who aren't currently starting games with the likes of Aarons, Tiote, De Jong and even Riviere.

Darlow

Janmaat      Mbemba      Saylor    Haidara

Kemen        Tiote

Thauvin                Perez              Aarons

Mitro                       

Would definitely give SDJ and Toney some game time too.

It's the mentality rather than team selection which will stand out for me. We're playing a team whose star player last season is in our reserves. We should be able to pick any 11 from about 23-25 players tonight and win. The main issue in the past was Pardew picking teams who could probably still beat who they were facing personnel wise, but not caring about it if we didn't and would rather not be there. I don't think that's in McClaren's make up at all.

This is it for me. The side that Carver put  out against Leicester last season was, for my money, strong enough to beat what was a woefully out of form, bottom of the table side at the time. The defeat was more down to attitude and therefore the performance than personnel.

It's a tough call, when/if 20-20 hindsight comes calling. Think it is a trade-off, an opportunity for our core players to play under less pressure (from opponents at least) and increase their ability to find one another and really mesh, nowt like a few goals and even just having that extra couple of seconds on the ball to build confidence. Versus, the development opportunities it is difficult to simulate for those on the cusp (SJP, larger crowd, top,level competition etc.). This stage in the season, with a number of new players, I hope we see a solid core of first choice players; maybe with de Jong and Aaron's getting a runout; and Ivan Toney on the bench. Was supposed to be there tonight, now working; can't remember the last time I felt this twitchy about missing a match. It's like a litmus test of how involved I feel in the club again. Feels nice...twitchy, but nice none the less!

Oh come on ... are we really doing De Jong, Aarons and Thauvin any favours with that midfield behind him.

Need to be able to keep the ball and get it into those guys consistently, so we can get them going.

Hope it works out, but surely there's a young midfielder that could have been used ahead of Gouffran.

I know! How about that young stud Mehdi Abeid! Oh wait ...

Guest reefatoon

If we are looking at peddling Gouffran and Williamson, why the fuck play them in this? It won't be to put them in the shop window as the more they are seen on the pitch the worse they look.  Just let them rot and let us forget all about them.

Darlow

Janmatt, Williamson, Lascelles, Haidara

Gouffran, Tiote

Thauvin, De Jong, Aarons

Cisse

Supposedly

It's a decent side, but what's the point in playing Gouffran as a midfielder? He isn't one so that spot should go to a proper one. Also Williamson and Lascelles together is an accident waiting to happen. Lascelles needs a leader to play alongside, and Williamson is anything but.

Gouffran in CM, I wonder what qualities McClaren sees in him to put him there  :lol:

I recall him playing there during pre-season

Charver had him playing there too...  :anguish:

Yeah that worked out well.