Watford (A) FA Cup - Sat 9th Jan at 3pm (not on TV) - Pre-match thread

ChrisJbarnes

So who of the fringe players can we expect to see here?

I guess we will start with Darlow, Lascelles, Gouffran, Thauvin and De Jong.

Darlow

Janmaat - Colo - Lascelles - Dummett

Colback - Gouffran

Sissoko - De Jong - Thauvin

Mitrovic

Darlow

Colback - Gouffran

Mitrovic

Gouffran should never, ever be allowed to play for us again. We have nothing to gain by playing him. We should just hoy out some youngsters and crack on, we're going to get whooped no matter who we put out.

Darlow

Colback - Gouffran

Mitrovic

Gouffran should never, ever be allowed to play for us again. We have nothing to gain by playing him. We should just hoy out some youngsters and crack on, we're going to get whooped no matter who we put out.

SDJ and Thauvin will start I think. Hope they enjoy it as whatever they do they'll be on the bench for the next game.

I hope Thauvin, Mbabu and De Jong all start. I think for the first time in my life I'd rather we were out of the cup as staying up this season is far more important.

That said, a win is a massive confidence boost we could really use as a team. I guess I'm torn.

Aye who cares about winning things, being the 17th best team in the league, that's all that matters

If we get relegated we won't be challenging for any major trophy for the forseeable future and the whole direction of the football club looks ominous regardless of whether Ashley sells it or not. It's easy to pass out a cynical reply but the reality is if we go down the chances of actually getting back to a club of even a remotely respectable stature at the top level seems massively unlikely.Like I said, for the first time ever, I'd rather we focussed on the league and then if we managed to stay up you have to hope further investment will happen to build on what we have. But still, A win for momentum would probably be more beneficial than a loss.

Except that isn't the reality at all. In fact the exact same opinion was probably put forward in 08-09.

I personally don't think we'd repeat what we achieved last time we got relegated. The Championship is are much more difficult league with stronger spending powers than it was back then. That's without even considering what we'd be left with after everyone on big contracts was sold.

:fwap:

Considering we played (IIRC) a pretty strong team at home to Sheff Wed and still lost I don't think it matters who plays on Saturday.

Come to think of it, our best cup win for years was when we put out a kid's team against Man City in the Carling Cup when Pardew was still here and then got shocked by us knocking them out against all expectations. That lad Abeid had an absolute barnstormer of a game in CM IIRC. Dunno what happened to him.

Darlow

Janmaat - Mbemba - Lascelles - Mbabu

Colback - Tiote

Aarons - De Jong - Thauvin

Mitrovic

Elliot, Coloccini, Dummett, Wijnaldum, Perez, Marveaux, Sissoko.

Guest Roger Kint

The one positive of this is like last year virtually no coverage will be shown of our tame exit. Sure there was only about 90 seconds footage of the Leicester game shown, be lucky to break 30 seconds if they rest their strikers too :lol:

John Carver before the cup game against Leicester last season:

Every game I go into I want to win, so I will put the best team on the pitch that I possibly can to win the game.

Team who started: Alnwick, Santon, Williamson, Dummett, Haidara, Anita, Tiote, Vuckic, Armstrong, Riviere, Cabella

Steve McClaren before tomorrows cup game:

Tomorrow will be the strongest strongest team we can put out without taking a risk (on anyone).

We've got one or two players who have got niggles and it's a big risk, so we need to decide if we play them.

Can't wait to see the "strong" line-up tomorrow.

I hope Thauvin, Mbabu and De Jong all start. I think for the first time in my life I'd rather we were out of the cup as staying up this season is far more important.

That said, a win is a massive confidence boost we could really use as a team. I guess I'm torn.

Aye who cares about winning things, being the 17th best team in the league, that's all that matters

If we get relegated we won't be challenging for any major trophy for the forseeable future and the whole direction of the football club looks ominous regardless of whether Ashley sells it or not. It's easy to pass out a cynical reply but the reality is if we go down the chances of actually getting back to a club of even a remotely respectable stature at the top level seems massively unlikely.Like I said, for the first time ever, I'd rather we focussed on the league and then if we managed to stay up you have to hope further investment will happen to build on what we have. But still, A win for momentum would probably be more beneficial than a loss.

Except that isn't the reality at all. In fact the exact same opinion was probably put forward in 08-09.

I personally don't think we'd repeat what we achieved last time we got relegated. The Championship is are much more difficult league with stronger spending powers than it was back then. That's without even considering what we'd be left with after everyone on big contracts was sold.

People claimed the Championship was a difficult league last time around.  We sold plenty last time from arguably a even worse team than we have now IMO and still pissed the league.  BTW what new spending power does the Championship have?