Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Seems Tiote is a terrible partner for this guy in midfield. Tiote does not play as a holding defensive midfielder, but is more of a ball winner that goes chasing , and therefore leaves huge gaps. As Shelvey doesn't get back very well this is a massive issue.

I want to see Saivet back in for Tiote as he seemed more of the type that holds position deeper in midfield and plays a defensive type role from there rather than running about chasing the ball.

In away games we need to play a more solid three really. I wouldn't mind seeing both Tiote and Saivet playing, possibly sacrificing Wijnaldum or Sissokko. We can't continue to go down away from home as easily as we are now, especially now we don't have any defenders left.

In away games we need to play a more solid three really. I wouldn't mind seeing both Tiote and Saivet playing, possibly sacrificing Wijnaldum or Sissokko. We can't continue to go down away from home as easily as we are now, especially now we don't have any defenders left.

I would consider a 4-1-4-1 setup. Flat 4 in midfield with someone deeper. Shelvey/Wijnaldum and wide men tasked with supporting the striker.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd quote this in here as it was brought up during the Stoke game. I've read a few things about the Bournemouth game saying he looked the only one bothered, I didn't see it. He seems to really polarise opinion but every time I've seen him play for us he's looked the most likely to do something by virtue of always looking to be involved. Am I mad?

It's been a long time since I can remember a new signing give less of a fuck than Shelvey.

It's weird, this. I don't see that at all. I see someone always looking for the ball and trying to make things happen. He's been defending all night as well. Just me?

Thought I'd quote this in here as it was brought up during the Stoke game. I've read a few things about the Bournemouth game saying he looked the only one bothered, I didn't see it. He seems to really polarise opinion but every time I've seen him play for us he's looked the most likely to do something by virtue of always looking to be involved. Am I mad?

It's been a long time since I can remember a new signing give less of a fuck than Shelvey.

It's weird, this. I don't see that at all. I see someone always looking for the ball and trying to make things happen. He's been defending all night as well. Just me?

He doesn't play it safe though and as a result he stands out which will naturally split opinion. He's like the anti-Colback.

He doesn't play it safe though and as a result he stands out which will naturally split opinion. He's like the anti-Colback.

How can he be accused of not being arsed though? Surely the fact that he's always asking for the ball and trying stuff proves the exact opposite?

He's horrible defensively mind, I know some people subscribe to the running around like a mad man is a good thing but when your playing central midfield with job back then holding position and managing the space is much more important to prevent us being exposed on central midfield.

It's been a long time since I can remember a new signing give less of a f*** than Shelvey.

Yep.  Like people complaining about his pass completion rate against Stoke.  He's one of the only players who passes forward.  He tries low percentage, higher risk passes.  He's going to give it away from time to time.  I think he has 3-4 assists already and a load more key passes on top of that.  We needed a midfielder like him.  He just isn't very mobile and he's pretty crap at defending.

You need good players around him doing the running and being positionally sound.

Instead we have Jack 'Coward' Colback and Gini 'Invisible Man' Wijnaldum. We've got such an unbalanced squad we've got little to no chance of staying up now.

How can he be accused of not being arsed though? Surely the fact that he's always asking for the ball and trying stuff proves the exact opposite?

Probably his lack of propensity to track runners and dive into tackles. I haven't seen it myself, yes - he's been shite in games but I wouldn't equate that to not being arsed. I think some get confused between the two unfortunately.

Probably his lack of propensity to track runners and dive into tackles. I haven't seen it myself, yes - he's been shite in games but I wouldn't equate that to not being arsed. I think some get confused between the two unfortunately.

I think our whole midfield is like that tbh. It doesn't come naturally to Wijnaldum or Sissoko, that's not what they were bought for. This is what happens when you have a chief scout who is buying players usng a  different criteria to the manager.

Guest Phillipealbert

So. Where will Shelvey go this summer? Because ATM he is the odd one out. Doesn't fit in with the rest of the squad.  Needs to be cashed-in.