Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Some of his passing range is delicious, also sign of his self belief (as opposed to Colback who takes the easy pass option almost every time) . If he was a more natural athlete he would be world class imo.

It's not so much his athleticism as it is his lack of defensive responsibility that frustrates me.

Proving to be top drawer in this division like. Comfortably a level above this along with Ritchie.

He was useless for us but I'm willing to give him another chance. He could be brilliant for us in the Championship. Worth the 80k if he bosses the midfield and helps us get back up at the first attempt.

:coolsmiley:

Guest firetotheworks

He's the best English passer of a ball in the Championship by a country mile. When he gets it right it's a joy to behold. He'll take us up almost on his own if he continues at this level. The big test will come next season.

Not sure if there are any better in the Premier League?

Drinkwater. Even yesterday when Leicester were totally outplayed, his long range passing was excellent and every time I watch them it is. Beyond that, Wilshire can, Rooney can obviously do it but has been shit for ages. Other players are obviously better, but there are few that play those long, sprawling passes like that.

Guest firetotheworks

There's no foreign player better at this level either tbf

Very few in the Premiership too.

He's in that Ben Arfa mould where, if he wasn't a total fruit loop, he'd be nowhere near NUFC.

You reckon? He was at Swansea though. [emoji38]

I'm assuming he never made it at Liverpool because of his attitude, like, I cannot remember tbh. We saw last season how bad he can be by his own doing, and it was the same at Swansea by all accounts. He looked laboured. He looks much fitter this season and I don't think it's just the drop down a league.

I don't think he'd have joined Swansea or us in the state we were in if he'd stuck in. He just has the ability to do things which get you out of your seat, which I'm not really used to here :lol:

I think the only issue Shelvey has is that he is a bit crackers. He has all of the ability you need. He is probably the most technically gifted English Central Midfielder.  The sounds like a bold statement but who has more ability as a cm?

Wilshire and Alli by a fair way like. Drinkwater is probably the closest to Shelvey in the Prem, like KI says he can ping it about for fun. Drinkwater improved loads under a proper manager around the same age too.

There's no foreign player better at this level either tbf

Very few in the Premiership too.

He's in that Ben Arfa mould where, if he wasn't a total fruit loop, he'd be nowhere near NUFC.

I just think he struggles when pressured because he doesn't have good enough mobility to continue to play the game at the pace he wants. Which is why at the top level he was never this good consistently, don't think it's because he's mentally fucked or anything like that.

He's not alone though, there's loads of really talented passers around the world who just can't impose it on the opposition because of that.

He still got opportunities to create things last season even when he/we were terrible though, his performances were just completely unforgivable when he was letting players run past him while he has his hands on his knees. The vast majority of players look poor on the ball when the other team are playing with a much higher intensity than them.

It's hard to judge like, he looks quicker and fitter but you can obviously argue that that's just a false dawn because of poor opposition.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20161015/jonjo-keen-to-repay-the-faith_2281670_5981201?

"I'm really enjoying my football. I think it doesn't matter where you play, in terms of position or anything like that - you just want to be on the pitch playing games, and that's the main thing," he said.

"Luckily, the gaffer's shown a lot of faith in me to put me in, and I feel like I'm repaying him and the fans with the performances.

"Since I've come here I've not really had the consistency in my game, and I feel that this season it's really picked up, and long may it continue.

"It's nice to get that run of games where you're playing week-in, week-out, and you know that you've got the ability to go out and if you turn up, then there's more chance than not that you're going to be one of the better players on the pitch.

"I think that's a motivational thing as well as a physical thing, but I feel I'm in the best shape I've ever been in, so it was only a matter of time before I started putting the performances together."

:thup:

Looking like Rafa has helped him get his alleged off field problems in check and got him concentrating on his football and working on his fitness. This Shelvey is a quality addition to any side outside the top 6 PL teams, however there's always the fear that the Shelvey we witnessed in the latter Swansea days and our relegation run in could rear his ugly head again. I trust Rafa to keep him on track and I think Shelvey does too.

Don't think he looks like Rafa at all tbh.

Obviously he is far more talented than someone like Guthrie or Peter Whittingham.  But as an example, I remember them always looking good in this division, due to them getting so much time and space on the ball. 

Shelvey really surveys what's going on further up the pitch and isn't afraid to try passes most our players could only dream of pulling off.  He's doing it on a consistent basis and they aren't just hopeful Hollywood balls, like he has been accused of trying too often in the past. 

I'd like to see him add more goals to his game.  As his technique really is superb and he seems to be getting in advanced positions on a fairly regular basis.  Getting goals from midfield is always an added bonus and we haven't really had that since Nolan, and he was more of a second striker, anyway.

EDIT: Forgot about Wijnaldum  :lol: but he didn't really contribute fuck all as a midfielder when he played for us. 

Regarding Shelvey and his fitness, back when he was with Swansea, he copped a lot of flak for putting up an ad for a cook for him and his family on tasty wages. The press reported it as another sign of footballers being hopeless and over-privileged, but as a fan, I think you'd want the players in your team eating properly. If they are prepared to use their own money to do it, well good on them. It's much better than them being on the lash or eating pizzas because they can't cook.

Lots of people of higher class social backgrounds on less money than a professional footballer use cooks, cleaners, nannies, personal assistants etc. without anyone accusing them of being hopeless, so it was probably just barely veiled snobbery.

If I was a pro athlete and I was on serious wedge.  I think I'd probably hire a chef.  You'd happily fork out big money for a top personal trainer and your diet is clearly just as important.  So if you're shit at cooking, don't have time or a bit lazy with cooking the right things.  Then what's the issue? 

I'd probably have a butler and a gamekeeper and all  :laugh:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there was one moment where he was facing our goal midway in our half and he swung a pass to either Atsu or Anita tight on the wing in their half. It was absolutely sublime. Completely blind when he played it.

:thup: