Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

As much as I like him I can't agree with that. In his prime here Cabaye was out of this world, and in a far superior league.

Cabaye was an excellent attacking midfielder but he was really patchy as a centre mid. Shelvey isn't very mobile or a great tackler, just like Cabaye, but his passing range is actually better, IMO, and he's got an extra bit of skill in his locker. He's obviously not been to that standard for us, yet, but I think he has the talent to surpass.

The way he sprays the ball around is quite incredible at times. When he's enjoying his football he's a real force.

Was it the Gayle chance where he just nonchalantley pinged it with the outside of his boot? Was involved in pretty much everything last night.

The way he sprays the ball around is quite incredible at times. When he's enjoying his football he's a real force.

Was it the Gayle chance where he just nonchalantley pinged it with the outside of his boot? Was involved in pretty much everything last night.

Done it twice (to Gayle both times I think).

As much as I like him I can't agree with that. In his prime here Cabaye was out of this world, and in a far superior league.

Cabaye was an excellent attacking midfielder but he was really patchy as a centre mid. Shelvey isn't very mobile or a great tackler, just like Cabaye, but his passing range is actually better, IMO, and he's got an extra bit of skill in his locker. He's obviously not been to that standard for us, yet, but I think he has the talent to surpass.

I agree with this, I think Shelvey has the potential to be a world class midfielder on a level beyond Cabaye, but there's just something missing in his commitment at times like when he allowed that player all the time in the world to pick his spot for the second goal on wednesday. That said, he's supposedly putting in extra work on building up his fitness so hopefully Rafa will continue to support him.

We need him to play every game for us, simply because we have no one like him. Maybe we could give him a rest a couple of times but i'm worried what we would look like without him :lol: At the same time it's important that he doesn't get burned out. I don't like the international breaks at all, but at least someone like Shelvey can get a rest.

Don't expect him to get another rest until Preston in the cup. He's crucial to how we play and I expect Benitez will have his fitness coaches working on him to improve his conditioning to enable him to play in the vast majority of games.

Nowhere near Cabaye for me.

I don't think he can play in a team on the back foot. Doesn't know what he's doing. Cabaye was slow and fairly immobile but he thought quickly. Made a surprisingly high number of interceptions. And at very least when the tough got going he would engage in the battle. 

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see Shelvey being a good PL player. Hope it wrong.  In this division - he can boss it.  And he's one of a few players with no good backup.

Even when he's playing at about 6/10 like he was today, he's just all over it. Owns the pitch.

I've got boatloads of time for him tbh. He had a bad start to his career here and wasn't the signing we needed, but he's really pulling his weight atm and he's at the heart of everything good about us.