Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

We've actually been through this before (probably many times) :lol: :

Since when did 'Cockney' become a derogatory term anyway?

Since you put it before "bastard", same way as lots of other stuff? "e.g. "black" or "white" aren't derogatory terms on their own.

:lol:

"There's a black man standing in the hallway."

vs

"There's a fat black bastard standing in the hallway."

I don't even know why this needs to be explained.

Literally can't believe this debate is being had in 2016.

Honestly I can only assume people are wilfully playing dim at this point because they 'don't think it's that bad'. Which is fair enough. I don't think Shelvey's a horrendous racist on the back of this either. I don't think calling someone an 'Arab prick' is the end of the world or out. It's not on, but we can move on from it.

It's quite obviously not just "calling an Arab an Arab" though, and the FA rules state that any abuse aimed at a player's ethnicity/religion/nationality is a 5 game minimum ban. Hence why it would also be a 5 game minimum ban for calling someone an "English cunt", or a "Mexican cunt", or a "Jap Cunt" if it was reported.

Aye, this is basically my view.  I don't think he's a racist and that what he has said is racist as such but he's broken the rules and we have to accept the outcome of it, the FA are not picking on us etc, they were given a complaint and have dealt with it. 

What i will say, his defense could had been better organised in terms how it was presented to the FA.  Also he needs to learn to keep his gob shut at times.

Honsetly I think this, combined with his red rescinded from the Forrest game, he's massively lucky to have only got 5 games. I was expecting a combination of around 10. I don't believe it, but I can see why other clubs think the FA favour us (like we would with the top Prem clubs).

Guest neesy111

Honestly I can only assume people are wilfully playing dim at this point because they 'don't think it's that bad'. Which is fair enough. I don't think Shelvey's a horrendous racist on the back of this either. I don't think calling someone an 'Arab prick' is the end of the world or out. It's not on, but we can move on from it.

It's quite obviously not just "calling an Arab an Arab" though, and the FA rules state that any abuse aimed at a player's ethnicity/religion/nationality is a 5 game minimum ban. Hence why it would also be a 5 game minimum ban for calling someone an "English cunt", or a "Mexican cunt", or a "Jap Cunt" if it was reported.

Aye, this is basically my view.  I don't think he's a racist and that what he has said is racist as such but he's broken the rules and we have to accept the outcome of it, the FA are not picking on us etc, they were given a complaint and have dealt with it. 

What i will say, his defense could had been better organised in terms how it was presented to the FA.  Also he needs to learn to keep his gob shut at times.

Honsetly I think this, combined with his red rescinded from the Forrest game, he's massively lucky to have only got 5 games. I was expecting a combination of around 10. I don't believe it, but I can see why other clubs think the FA favour us (like we would with the top Prem clubs).

Yeah, that's a good point.  I bet the club were worried after his sending off v Forest he would be missing up to 2 months worth of games.

Oh I totally can.

http://drop.ndtv.com/albums/NEWS/brexit/000_cb87i.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/GTY-trump-supporters-jef-161101_12x5_1600.jpg

Aye, pretty much my view.

It is idiotic that there is so much more emphasis placed on nationality/race than every other aspect of a human being, but the actions of Shelvey are much more idiotic, which is not overly surprising given the player. He has played well at a lower standard after his abhorrent performances at the highest level last season, so one would hope this used as an opportunity for Jonjo to finish maturing a bit.

Oh I totally can.

http://drop.ndtv.com/albums/NEWS/brexit/000_cb87i.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/GTY-trump-supporters-jef-161101_12x5_1600.jpg

:lol:

This forum is supposed to be my sanctuary

Guest firetotheworks

The term 'Arab' isn't racist, but using it in a derogatory sense is. Such as 'Arab c***'.

Amazing that this still needs explaining.

It doesn't. The fact the definition of racism is being diluted virtually by the week is amazing. How long will it be before calling someone a 'Byker bastard' or 'Wallsend wanker' (no offence) is considered racist. And please, lets not pretend those who have climbed onto their 'high horse' have never uttered a racist comment at some point in their lives. Modern definition of course.

For the love of God. Will people with this mindset please go away and do a bit of homework about protected characteristics, and importantly, WHY they're protected characteristics, before coming up with their own completely daft answers like this one?

It's the same sort of crap you hear from people trying to claim that 'Paki' is just an abbreviation, completely ignoring the historical, social implications that have ensured that it's definitely no longer an abbreviation.

Like howeh man, you have a responsibility to learn this shit and it takes 5 minutes to Google and read about.

The term 'Arab' isn't racist, but using it in a derogatory sense is. Such as 'Arab c***'.

Amazing that this still needs explaining.

It doesn't. The fact the definition of racism is being diluted virtually by the week is amazing. How long will it be before calling someone a 'Byker b******' or 'Wallsend w*****' (no offence) is considered racist. And please, lets not pretend those who have climbed onto their 'high horse' have never uttered a racist comment at some point in their lives. Modern definition of course.

For the love of God. Will people with this mindset please go away and do a bit of homework about protected characteristics, and importantly, WHY they're protected characteristics, before coming up with their own completely daft answers like this one?

It's the same sort of crap you hear from people trying to claim that 'Paki' is just an abbreviation, completely ignoring the historical, social implications that have ensured that it's definitely no longer an abbreviation.

Like howeh man, you have a responsibility to learn this s*** and it takes 5 minutes to Google and read about.

:thup:

• 4 weeks later...

Effectively three assists on his return. :lol: He's so obviously our best player.

That being said, five games without him and we're still top of the league and still in the cup. Could've gone worse but very glad he's back.