Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

He can slow the game down, and he needs the right players around him, but he’s still a dangerous player.

We don't need Hollywood passes right now, we need players who can do their job to stop the opposition. If he's doing that part right, then fine he can stay in the team, if he's not able to keep up with the pace of the game then he should be dropped.

We're a better side without him in it...

Disagree. Merino and Shelvey is our best partnership in the midfield 2 imo.

not sure i think we have looked a better team with Hayden & Merino in the middle.  I will be quite happy to see those playing in the next couple of games,  still not conviced Shelvey has the fitness levels to play 3 games in a week.

He can slow the game down, and he needs the right players around him, but he’s still a dangerous player.

We don't need Hollywood passes right now, we need players who can do their job to stop the opposition. If he's doing that part right, then fine he can stay in the team, if he's not able to keep up with the pace of the game then he should be dropped.

Like I said, he needs the right players around him. If you want a midfielder to stop the opposition, he’ll never be it. But he can do 50% of that job if he has a partner (or two) who are strong in that area.

Actually we do need Hollywood passes. Our players arn’t creating anything, and I said to a fellow fan yesterday that he is the only player who you could say has any sort of creativity. Our wingers can’t produce a cross, an no one else can produce anything else. Merino breaks the ball up in midfield, Gayle gets on the end of passes, and Lascelles intercepts the ball at the back. That is all we have in our team and we rely on Shelvey producing one of his passes to open up the opposition.

the better the players around you, the better you look and the better you play.

being surrounded by dross and a lack of movement really limits shelvey's game.

Agreed. He's one in our current squad who has it in him to raise his level, Lejuene definitely another. We need better players throughout the squad to see that happen though. Would definitely keep starting Shelvey, our best creative player by a distance - yes we need to work harder as a team but dropping Shelvey and losing his ability is suicidal for us.

Granted we had a run of opportune fixtures, but the statistics show 3 wins out of 5 when Shelvey was out or coming back from suspension, and 1 win out of 8 in those games he has started. I do think we relinquish the midfield too often when he is playing. He doesn't press or cover properly, and I think his creativity is overstated: his long passing game is excellent, but how often does he create clear chances, and how often do even his good balls get cut out or lead only to crosses which are also relatively easy to defend against? He doesn't have the pace or footwork to influence the game in the final third, it always has to be from a deep position, and that's a huge limitation no matter how many runners he has around him.

I think if you surround him with pace, he can be a very effective player. I get the criticism about his lack of energy, but Michael Carrick has been very effective in that role as a deep lying playmaker and he was always similarly slow. The problem is, Shelvey's in a team with almost no pace around him. When you've got people like Ritchie, Perez and Joselu, a lot of your better balls end up wasted. In fact, Murphy and Atsu are our only pacy attacking players, and I think they've never been in the same team.

Shelvey couldn’t lace Carrick’s boots.

Carrick is quick minded both on and off the ball. Positionally excellent he covers for a defence without needing to charge around.  Carrick is also better at quick short range passing into feet.  He’s not constantly looking for a killer ball but fast, quick and forward balls.

Shelvey is nowhere near his level.

Watford pissed on our midfield, they had pace and we didn't. We can lump all the blame on Diame, but for me every central midfielder has to do the work, not just float some nice long passes which will probably be wasted by our strikers anyway. I don't mind the lack of pace as long as he's putting in a shift to match the opposition. I don't think he did that on Saturday.

Shelvey suffers without Merino and Perez because he doesn't have options along the ground. Those passes he was trying at the weekend are just a waste of time against PL defences.

Two of his passes today were world class, he just needs to be patient and wait for those opportunities. And we need to give him better options.