Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer loved playing with Sir Les and vice versa because they complimented each other so well and though a very good CF in his own right, Ferdinand wasn't anywhere near as selfish as Shearer when it came to scoring (that's not me knocking Big Al, btw) so it kind of worked. They spent 6 months injured combined btw, all told, so imagine how many they would have scored together...

They are big pals outside of football, Shearer, Lee and Sir Les are constantly together when away from the limelight. This despite Shearer taking his number 9 off him, such a top bloke Ferdinand by the way. Shearer rates Sir Les as his best club strike partner and Sheringham as his best international partner and if they played club football, his ideal partner.

I remember when we signed Shearer the big debate was whether they could play together, being so similar and all, when in reality they were totally different and it says a lot about KK that he could make it work. Again put those missing combined 6 months through injury together and we probably would have won the league as they got almost 50 between them, add another 20 easily during their missing games. Not many teams score that combined.

Such a golden period for us, we sold Sir Les because we had to meet certain financial requirements RE the IPO which triggered KK leaving and eventually left is fucked when Shearer got inured. They begged Sir Les to return, but he gave Spurs his word and off he went.

Leaving us with JDT who IMO we were too quick to peddle, of course he turned into a top-class player at the highest level... our loss!

JDT missed a sitter on his debut and never really recovered; he'd showed in preseason he could play. The injury to Shearer and the loss of Sir Les was pretty devasting and placed far too much pressure on JDT. We really were unlucky the way it all happened. Having said that, agreeing to sell Sir Les was a massive mistake in the first place.

Guest Howaythetoon

I wouldn't say it was a partnership in the sense that Beardsley and Cole was or even Shearer and Bellamy for that matter.

True, it was just a mattter, much like a lot of the players under KK, of them being good players and simply performing. Simple game really.

Guest firetotheworks

A partnership in the sense that if one of them wasn't there the other one probably was. I can hardly even remember them together tbh. Cole and Beardsley was far more memorable.

A partnership in the sense that if one of them wasn't there the other one probably was. I can hardly even remember them together tbh. Cole and Beardsley was far more memorable.

Funnily enough, one of the best partnerships Shearer struck up was with Duncan Ferguson in that season SBR went for two target men strikers. He went quite direct after taking over from Gullitt to make the most of the players he had at his disposal, and those two really seemed to thrive off each other.

Funnily enough, one of the best partnerships Shearer struck up was with Duncan Ferguson in that season SBR went for two target men strikers. He went quite direct after taking over from Gullitt to make the most of the players he had at his disposal, and those two really seemed to thrive off each other.

Definitely not a suffix for a popular video website showing Big Duncs volley against Manchester United. ((watch?v=07tOeo16wK4).

Loved watching that team.

Infuriating for the move that led to the penalty. Really can’t warm to him despite his obvious ability.

Can't remember that I must admit, but I thought he was one of our better players today. I think he and Merino will make a very decent pairing in time. The key to the their play - and arguably the entire team - will be that upgrade to Ayoze.

Infuriating for the move that led to the penalty. Really can’t warm to him despite his obvious ability.

Can't remember that I must admit, but I thought he was one of our better players today. I think he and Merino will make a very decent pairing in time. The key to the their play - and arguably the entire team - will be that upgrade to Ayoze.

Didn’t get up to support our initial attack then didn’t get back, at all, just stood there pointing at someone else to cover our right side and then threw a little hissy when we ended up on the back foot. Not sure he’ll ever cut this stuff out, so I guess I’ll just have to accept it.

Didn’t get up to support our initial attack then didn’t get back, at all, just stood there pointing at someone else to cover our right side and then threw a little hissy when we ended up on the back foot. Not sure he’ll ever cut this stuff out, so I guess I’ll just have to accept it.

:thup:

Merino just looks so much better than Shelvey when he's on.  Merino seems to always know what's going on around him, whereas Shelvey seems to get caught in possession too often and/or tries passes that just are never likely to come off.