Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Southgate is at the Everton game according to the guardian specifically to watch Shelvey. Watch the pressure on him cause him to lose his head or something  :lol:

I had a slight worry like this, but actually think he's turned a corner now. He will be fine, just hope it's a game he shines in. I think he would be brilliant option for England.

100% allardyce has his dogs targetting shelvey in this, no doubt in my mind it'll be one of his main tactics for the game

He might get into the squad if there are a few injuries, but otherwise I think there are better all-round candidates. He's very one paced, and at World Cup level you can't bank on unlocking a defence with one long pass.

Better all round candidates :lol:

*googles squad*

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham), Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Man City), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Yes, Livermore and Cook are adapt to the multi-paced intricacies of WC football.

He might get into the squad if there are a few injuries, but otherwise I think there are better all-round candidates. He's very one paced, and at World Cup level you can't bank on unlocking a defence with one long pass.

Better all round candidates :lol:

*googles squad*

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham), Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Man City), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Yes, Livermore and Cook are adapt to the multi-paced intricacies of WC football.

of that lot i'd argue maybe wilshere and lallana are who you'd want to unlock a packed defence ahead of shelvey tbh, but none of them are who you'd want against better teams trying to exploit the pace and movement england have all over the pitch

Guest firetotheworks

Tbh though, whoever's in there probably isn't going to play, so I wonder if Southgate's thinking more in terms of squad chemistry. Probably giving him too much credit, but you never know.

I don’t watch England at all, so I was wondering where Oxlade-Chamberlain was playing for them? He’s been playing in the middle a bit for Liverpool, but does his absence from the World Cup open the door for Shelvey?

• 2 weeks later...

This guy needs to go to the world cup. The more i watch him the more impressed i am, and the more you realise we don't have anyone in the England squad who even comes close to him in terms passing ability and vision.

I've watched quite a lot of Liverpool lately because they never seem to be off the telly and how Henderson has managed to convince everyone he's international quality is beyond me. Every pass is either sideways or backwards and that's despite having some of the best pace and movement in the league ahead of him. He reminds me of Jack Colback.

With the movement and pace he'd have around him in the England team, I could see Shelvey developing into our most important CM (if Gareth would pull his finger out of his arse and bother to pick him).

I'm not his biggest fan but he was the best midfielder on the park last night which is no mean feat when you think he was up against Eriksen, Alli and our own £30m man Diame.

If England were in attendance they'd have been impressed with him.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I thought he was good last night, but I think he's probably in a straight shoot out with Loftus-Cheek for the last spot.

I think they'll go for Loftus-Cheek - appreciate they're very different players, but I've been really impressed by Loftus-Cheek this season (when fit). Would love him here next season behind the striker

Pleasure to watch him play last night. I said it during the game and stand by that he was best player on that pitch against a side littered with key international players who will all be in Russia. None of them showed the same quality over 90 minutes as Shelvey did, yet someone like Livermore may go instead of him. Just wrong.

Pleasure to watch him play last night. I said it during the game and stand by that he was best player on that pitch against a side littered with key international players who will all be in Russia. None of them showed the same quality over 90 minutes as Shelvey did, yet someone like Livermore may go instead of him. Just wrong.

Sad isn't it. Barring injury the only NUFC player at the World Cup will be Mitro. I'm biased as hell but I would have both Shelvey and Jamaal on the plane if I were Southgate.

May well be a blessing him not going to WC. More scrutiny and limelight on him would likely have someone tempted to sling a bid in to fat cunt.

Definitely one we could lose this summer if it all goes tits up.

I think we will get offers, West Ham were sniffing around in January and I expect better clubs to be looking at him as someone that has a lot to offer. Might not be a complete disaster, if someone spunked big money on him however, despite how much I like him and how crucial he is to our attacking drive. We are probably too dependent on him, if we could use the funds received wisely to invest in other players that lessen reliance on one single player then that's probably a good thing, not that there is any guarantee that a) we'll be able to use the incoming funds and b) we'll be able to spend it wisely enough to replace what Shelvey gives us with a couple of players.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

He's been really good since the end of Jan, but was pretty awful before that. I wouldn't have been averse to flogging him in January based on his form in the first half of the season. Both he and Diame have totally turned their form around, but it still nags me that we know just how bad they can be and that that poor form was in very recent memory.

Here's hoping he's moved to the next stage of his career and manages some consistently strong performances next season

Sad isn't it. Barring injury the only NUFC player at the World Cup will be Mitro. I'm biased as hell but I would have both Shelvey and Jamaal on the plane if I were Southgate.

I agree. It's likely that neither would start, but both have what I would consider invaluable assets to bring to the squad & tournament. Jamaal's attitude, desire & commitment is as good as anything I have seen in my years following football, and I truly believe Shelvey would be the best passer of a ball in the squad - as biased as I am.

I agree. It's likely that neither would start, but both have what I would consider invaluable assets to bring to the squad & tournament. Jamaal's attitude, desire & commitment is as good as anything I have seen in my years following football, and I truly believe Shelvey would be the best passer of a ball in the squad - as biased as I am.

I second that bit. Maybe a bit of bias but I like to think it's more football knowledge and common sense. Who else is there that's a better passer of the ball in the England squad? There are only a handful better in the PL really.

With all the pace and movement he'd have around him, he could be deadly. Instead we'll probably have to endure watching Dier, Henderson and Livermore, wondering what could've been.

Thought he was excellent again last night, as he was in the 2nd half vs Watford. Love how he always tries to play the ball forward and plays with his head up. Might be my favourite player of ours when he's on form.

Would love a peak Bellamy or Vardy type striker in our squad for him to play with

Thought he was excellent again last night, as he was in the 2nd half vs Watford. Love how he always tries to play the ball forward and plays with his head up. Might be my favourite player of ours when he's on form.

Would love a peak Bellamy or Vardy type striker in our squad for him to play with

He'd be insane with Vardy imo.