Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

If he doesn't go it's a mistake on Southgate's part, I'm certain of that. I think I'd be more keen to see Shelvey play in the World Cup than Jamaal - who may be a bit exposed and I'd be nervous for him making a telling error (not that I think he couldn't handle it, his mentality is great - and also not that I particularly care how well England do).

I'm also glad it's okay to love Shelvey now, I got all sorts of stick at one point for championing him earlier in the season.

He's added hard work to his ability. He still tires but for 75 odd minutes he's immense and can put us in behind in the blink of eye. We arent going to be able to replace him on our budget. Even resigning Cabaye wouldn't do it, he cant do the work that Shelvey is.

Unfortunately Shelvey's developed a Joey Barton-type reputation in the minds of neutrals. Whether this is justified or not is entirely down to him.

Edit: FWIW, I think he's been our most improved player under Rafa, and I'm really happy him playing his best football in an NUFC shirt, something he himself said yesterday.

There might be a couple of friendlies left but the next squad announcement is the provisional World Cup squad on 14th May, there's absolutely no chance anyone new will get in now.

I think Shelvey will go to the world cup. I don't know why, I just think every manager has their wild card and Shelvey will be Southgates.

He scored in front of the England manager on Saturday, that will do him no harm.

Only 2 more friendlies left before the start of the World Cup though. Not exactly an optimal amount of time to get him in.

If he does go it'll be through injuries to other players.

Those 2 friendlies take place after the squad is announced I think though.

I think Southgate has had a proper brain fart with his decision not to include Shelvey. With the amount of pace he'd have around him, his vision and passing would be lethal. . When you consider Jake Livermore has been getting a game lately, it's a real kick in the chuff for Shelvey. I guess England's loss is our gain

Can see Shelvey not going to the World Cup, and the new England manager putting him straight in for the first matches in the new season.

Reminds me of how Stevie Mac handled Beckham.

He won't be picked like. He's seen as far too much of a loose cannon and had the exact reputation Southgate and the blazers at the FA run a million miles from.

I don't blame them either tbh, although i wouldn't understand Lascelles not going at all.

He won't be picked like. He's seen as far too much of a loose cannon and had the exact reputation Southgate and the blazers at the FA run a million miles from.

I don't blame them either tbh, although i wouldn't understand Lascelles not going at all.

But he isn't a loose cannon.

Fair play to Murphy.

This utter shite about 'he can't be trusted' :idiot2:

Dele Alli is more than likely to pick up a card or two, or three but you play guys for their ability surely? Not whether you think the opposition may try and get them a booking or sent off.

Rooney was an absolute liability for years but apparently his 'edge' was an asset that made him the player he was.

Different story for Jonjo though. The double standards from the FA, former players, pundits and commentators is sickening