Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

England don’t have a passer as good as him, simple as that and that’s something England need. How often have you watched England and thought that they need someone to be able to produce a ball that can break through defences rather than playing it sideways all the time?

If Wngland were to ever win the Workd Cup or Euro’s, then they need someone who can produce something like him.

Fuck England though, let’s not put Shelvey and Lascelles in the shop window.

If it's purely down to how someone plays then he has to go to the world cup. Can't help thinking it's more of a squad dynamic thing thats stopped him being in recent squads.

I think it’s more of a case of Southgate being a manager who the FA have put in charge to keep the status quo of continuing to play the players who have a face that’s fits. Shelvey doesn’t have a face that fits, he’s not a big enough name for the FA yet.

Was really incredible today. You could tell he saw every big pass before he got the ball and hit them perfectly. No idea where we'd be without him, for a team like us to have someone that can unlock defenses out of nothing is priceless.

There might be a couple of friendlies left but the next squad announcement is the provisional World Cup squad on 14th May, there's absolutely no chance anyone new will get in now.

Still of this opinion.

As I’ve said before, I reckon he’ll go providing he keeps this form up.

The media have picked the England team for years and I see no reason why that will change here, the media circus demanding his inclusion will get their wish.

It’s good though because it’d give me a slight feeling for wanting England to succeed if he’s playing.

You'd think since Southgate has played for and managed Boro he'd maybe consider plays from NE teams slightly more than previous England managers.

Still a Southerner. Only came up here when there were no better options.

If it's purely down to how someone plays then he has to go to the world cup. Can't help thinking it's more of a squad dynamic thing thats stopped him being in recent squads.

I think it’s more of a case of Southgate being a manager who the FA have put in charge to keep the status quo of continuing to play the players who have a face that’s fits. Shelvey doesn’t have a face that fits, he’s not a big enough name for the FA yet.

Nah it's not just that but his mentality has been called in to question a few times, look at the way he left Swansea, he has the talent but building a squad for the world cup is more than just picking the best players.

Anyway, I want my teams players to get international recognition but get slight injuries that keep them out of the tournaments so they a)don't get too much attention that they get poached, b) don't get bad injuries that affects us.

What's changed for me is that he used to be brilliant one game in five, but he's been playing to that standard four in five games or better. It's no coincidence that consistency has coincided with his recent lack of bookings. He's turned his head around, and is becoming the player Liverpool wanted when they bought him as a kid. If he doesn't relapse, he could be that player for us. He clearly loves Rafa, and it seems to be mutual. Long may it remain.

There's no way Southgate doesn't have him on a longlist, and I think he's a very good chance of making the preliminary squad. It seems like a campaign to take him is building, based on commentary I've heard.

It's nice to imagine him going, and shining, and coming back to a post-Ashley NUFC with Rafa at the helm as he peaks...

I really like Jonjo, probably my favourite player from this current squad.  Absolutely love watching players like him and he's what I wished I could have been as a centre mid.  I ended up being more like a non-league Tiote :lol:

Although I still can't get my head around how bad his set pieces and shooting are?  He can ping a ball 50-60 yards and hit a man in stride.  But regularly shoots 30 foot over the bar and whips awful free kicks over everyone and straight to the keeper.

Some of his passing yesterday (and in general) is on a totally different level to anything any other English midfielder is capable of. However Southgate is totally clueless so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get in the England squad.

If England had options in central midfield you could understand his exclusion from the squad as he hasn't been very consistent (until the last couple of months) and there are weaknesses in his game. But you look at the England squad and see Jake Livermore and a finished Jack Wilshere and it's ridiculous that he probably isn't going to get a look in. Shelvey playing some of those long balls to Vardy and Kane could be absolutely lethal.

Shelvey's proved me wrong over the last few months.  I'm still not 100% convinced he will keep this form up and/or that is a permanent change in his mentality and I also maintain that the early season version of Shelvey wasn't good enough, but he's been brilliant for the last 7-8 games.  Long may it continue.

Could say the same about a fair few of the lads recent form and their earlier season performance levels.

Have to believe it's all due to the Rafa effect, better coaching and lengthier exposure to his management, too many of them having turned things around to be a coincidence.

Maybe 1 player will 'fluke' a good change in form for a while, but for more than 3/4/5 players to be doing it has to be down to the coaching?

A sensible summers strengthening for support and healthy competition and it could well see Shelvey really step up permanently to the level he is well capable of playing at on a consistent basis.

He's working so hard now. Aye he'll still mess up a few times but he'll keep running and chasing until his legs go. We're never going to get someone who can unlock a defence like he can. I don't think I've ever seen a Newcastle player pass it the way he does. a Remy type, heck even Slimani the way he was running about and taking it under control would get loads of chances from him. It's only Gayle's finishing and first touch that's denied him a load of class assists this year.

It's so frustrating because the thought of Shelvey pinging balls to Vardy, Sterling & Rashford makes me drool. Instead we'll be treated to Henderson & Dier's neverending sideways show  :-X

It's incredible that Rafa has made this guy a reliable, disciplined and consistent performer, finally! So talented but many have failed to get this out of him.

Another absolutely sensational achievement by Mr. Benitez.

Really happy for Shelvey too, as he was smart enough to take Rafa's words to heart.