Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Deal done between the 2 clubs, Shelvey now discussing personal terms according to Caulkin.

By George Caulkin and Paul Taylor

13m ago

Nottingham Forest are currently in talks with Newcastle over a potential move for Jonjo Shelvey.

Shelvey, 30, has struggled for game time this season with several injuries limiting him to five appearances in all competitions.

Forest have now began talks over personal terms with an agreement already in place over a permanent move.

The former England international had entered the final six months of his Newcastle contract, and the club were reluctant to offer him a new deal.

Newcastle have been pursuing a defensive midfielder throughout the window, with the long-term aim of moving Bruno Guimaraes forwards into the No 8 role.

Shelvey’s departure will reinforce Howe’s desire to add an extra option in central midfield, with Bruno now lacking a natural replacement.

Shelvey, who previously played for Swansea and Liverpool, before joining Newcastle in 2016, has made 270 Premier League appearances.

In his six years at St. James’ Park, Shelvey made 202 appearances for the club, scoring 18 goals and providing 25 assists during that time.

Newcastle are next in action on January 31 against Southampton in the League Cup semi-final second leg.

This works absolutely perfectly, we've hardly seen him this season but with him going out it would mean we can definitely bring another player in who can bring more to the side than Jonjo can. 

I think without this bid we maybe would have closed business and settled with him being in the team but now we can definitely upgrade. 

Killing two birds with one stone as the saying goes. 

Edited by Scotty66

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Everyone ready for Howe to ruin our deadline day tomorrow in his press conference by saying no more signings coming 😂

I'm not sure I'd believe him if he told me night follows day in one of his press conferences. He's a sly one.

1 minute ago, PauloGeordio said:

Newcastle have been pursuing a defensive midfielder throughout the window, with the long-term aim of moving Bruno Guimaraes forwards into the No 8 role.

:pedro:

A proper number 6, Joelinton and Bruno further forward would be a fantastic midfield.