Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I think he's really bought into what Howe is doing and I've generally been pleased with his contribution so I'd be sad to see him go and it would leave us dangerously short in midfield.

However if he's replaced this window with someone like Maddison, I'll come help him pack.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

He was OK back end of last year but this season when he came back in he looked miles off it.

He's also had two semi-serious injuries at the age of 30. For a team in the PL with the highest pressing stats, Shelvey is pretty much the last player who fits our system.

I agree and have said as much last week. My point was that he’s not “completely done at this level”. There is a PL after him as it turns out.

Puke's article FWIW: 

Nottingham Forest are on the verge of signing Newcastle United midfielder Jonjo Shelvey before the transfer window closes on Tuesday.

Newcastle are currently making a series of checks with both foreign and Premier League clubs to ascertain whether they are able to sign a central midfielder on loan before the window closes.

Telegraph Sport understands that Shelvey is keen to make the switch and is close to a return to full fitness after a calf injury.

The 30-year-old is one of Newcastle’s longest serving players having signed from Swansea City back in back in 2016, but he is no longer first-choice and will be used as cover for Bruno Guimaraes if he remains on Tyneside.

Shelvey also missed a large chunk of the campaign with a hamstring injury, limiting him to just five appearances and a solitary start against Crystal Palace in the Carabao Cup.

But Forest have identified the former Liverpool star as the midfield playmaker to help them stay in the Premier League.

More to follow . . .

1 minute ago, STM said:

Fair point but I'd argue he doesn't fit our system, even at his best. He's also 30, had two injuries and 6 months way from his contract running out.

I think it’s a good deal (replacement permitting). I just think people are being a bit churlish by saying he’s done.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Fair point but I'd argue he doesn't fit our system, even at his best. He's also 30, had two injuries and 6 months way from his contract running out.

I think it’s a good deal (replacement permitting). I just think people are being a bit churlish by saying he’s done.

Although he only has 6 months left it is basically 18 as we effectively have an option to extend it if we played him twice more. Considering that I would expect some kind of fee.

It would be a good move for him too if he gets a 2.5+ year deal out of it considering he's only guaranteed another 18 months here.

Edited by ponsaelius

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Fwiw I wouldn't just expect cover to replace him. I'd be hoping we make a long term midfield signing - even if it's a loan-to-buy situation.

Might struggle with that at this point in the window 

4 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I agree and have said as much last week. My point was that he’s not “completely done at this level”. There is a PL after him as it turns out.

Ah. When I said "at this level" I meant top 6, not PL.