Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

His problem has always been his end product, he runs a lot and tries to take players on but doesn't score or assist nearly as much as you would like  him to do.

He would have got an assist if Wijnaldum had scored that header rather than putting it over. Sissoko would also have quite a few assists this season if his decent deliveries weren't wasted most of the time. Harsh to judge our players on assists when our other players waste glorious chances.

I thought he looked good, he's not amazing on the ball but he worked hard and forced the issue a few times, I think him and Shelvey will grab a couple of goals each before the end of the season too which we really need.

I don't think he has enough about him to be a permanent starter like, it'd be daft if he permanently takes Perez' place in the side. He'd a far better option than we've had for some time though.

I can understand perfectly why Spurs sold him, he's not good enough for a CL side. But we are at the other end of the table and we need someone who can do a job and provide shape and threat from wide positions consistently, not when they feel like it. I would far rather have him here than him go to our relegation rivals.

I think he's a very solid, know-what-you-are-gonna-get kind of signing. He's never going to be a worldbeater but he'll always be involved because of his physical attributes and general positive attitude. You couldn't say about Cabella and Thauvin (particularly the latter). It's very much a shift from signing long term potential for profit and signing a safe domestic player for the level we're at and the needs of the team. In the situation we are in, that's a very welcome shift in the short term IMO.

I think he's a very solid, know-what-you-are-gonna-get kind of signing. He's never going to be a worldbeater but he'll always be involved because of his physical attributes and general positive attitude. You couldn't say about Cabella and Thauvin (particularly the latter). It's very much a shift from signing long term potential for profit and signing a safe domestic player for the level we're at and the needs of the team. In the situation we are in, that's a very welcome shift in the short term IMO.

Very fair post.

I like him here for where we are right now. While the question marks are there on consistent end product, he can carry the ball as well as Sissoko and he's far better at close control passing and movement with the ball.

He will frustrate, as much as he will impress. But he has genuine pace and trickery and that is something we have needed on the left for a long time. Decent game today and should have had an assist, at least.

Promising would be my choice of word to describe him yesterday, few very good glimpses of what he can do. There was only so bad bits in there as well, but he hasn't played much premier league football for a while. So might just be sharpness not quite being there against better players than what he's come up against at under 21 level.

I thought he faded towards the end. But I think it's a positive for us, that he's got two 90's in already.  Testament to the player as well, as he's obviously kept himself fit and in good nick.  Hasn't sulked and got all porky, he's played in the U21's and got his head down. 

Great to have a two footed player and a threat down both flanks.  He's pretty rapid and direct, but does seem to get caught in two minds a lot of the time.  Considering he must be a bit rusty, I think it was a positive performance.  He looked better than I expected, so I'm hoping he improves from here or at least keeps up that level of performance. 

Two people who I went to the match with didn't rate his performance at all, which was odd as I was the more negative about him prior, I thought he stretched play, yeah did some poor crosses but unlucky not to score and have an assist. Made space for the other attackers

Two people who I went to the match with didn't rate his performance at all, which was odd as I was the more negative about him prior, I thought he stretched play, yeah did some poor crosses but unlucky not to score and have an assist. Made space for the other attackers

I can see why many won't rate him. Skill wise I think he's probably inferior to Thauvin and Cabella, and he's like Sissoko in that he tends to run into defenders because he's sometimes too direct. But I don't necessarily see that as a fault. Yes Sissoko might lose the ball a lot, but when he gets by the player he tends to create great scoring chances because he's took the defence out.

Compare that to Cabella with his triple step overs or Obertan who ends his speedy bursts with a check back, circle and pass backwards. Forwards like early and consistent delivery. Andros isn't great, but I think he'll provide that far better than either Cabella or Obertan would. 

I can see why many won't rate him. Skill wise I think he's probably inferior to Thauvin and Cabella, and he's like Sissoko in that he tends to run into defenders because he's sometimes too direct. But I don't necessarily see that as a fault. Yes Sissoko might lose the ball a lot, but when he gets by the player he tends to create great scoring chances because he's took the defence out.

Compare that to Cabella with his triple step overs or Obertan who ends his speedy bursts with a check back, circle and pass backwards. Forwards like early and consistent delivery. Andros isn't great, but I think he'll provide that far better than either Cabella or Obertan would. 

I see him as a very expensive version of Routledge (who I feel we should have kept).

Thought he did alright and I fully expect that sort of performance to be his norm. Flashes of good stuff, flashes of poor stuff with middling delivery and decision making but having him them stretches our game and brings other into play (in)directly.

I see him as a very expensive version of Routledge (who I feel we should have kept).

Routledge ability wise should be one of the best wingers in the premier. He's got everything except hunger. I always got the impression that either he just doesn't like the limelight at the bigger clubs, or he was poorly managed.