Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taken over from Cabella as the king of the stepovers.

He's as poor as I thought he was going to be.

So unbelievably ridiculous :lol:

Classic case of having an initial view on the player and holding onto it till death. Even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

I pity you.

Looked lively out there yesterday, can beat a man and put in a couple of useful crosses.

Had a few moments that were a bit worrying in terms of how he reads the game though. We had one break where Mitro dropped deep, laid it off to Wijnaldum and then Gini played a ball down the flank into space for Townsend to run on to. Townsend though had inexplicably stopped his run and was looking for it short. I know miscommunications happen all the time but I thought it was particularly bad, there was no way in hell he should have stopped his run. There were a few other times where his teammates had it and I was yelling at him to move too. Hopefully things will get better as he gets more games under his belt.

Would prefer him out left at the moment though. We provide no threat down that side and I reckon he's our best bet.

I like him.  I thought we massively overpaid for him and I never particularly rated him.  But TBF, he looks a threat and he is quicker than I thought. 

When he kept getting isolated with van Aanholt.  He had a decent amount of success.  I'm not sure if they countered that in the second half, or we just went away from it.  But it looked like we were going to score, because of this match up. 

His touch is pretty shit, mind.  When he is facing away from goal, it always seems to be a bit heavy. 

I like Townsend, agree with the touch comments, its pretty poor, but he's a threat and gets decent balls into the area.

Looks like we have someone who can take a corner as well, which is a nice change.

Give him a chance man! He's come into a team struggling in the league, which is low in confidence, new manager and he's barely played this season, plus the fact he is adapting playing for a new team after playing with Spurs all his life. What do people expect from him exactly? From the time he was on the pitch, he was our biggest threat and inevitably got tired and was substituted. Any chance we have of staying up will hinge on Andros and a few key players for the rest of the remaining games.

Keep the faith, albeit it is getting smaller after every game.

Give him a chance man! He's come into a team struggling in the league, which is low in confidence, new manager and he's barely played this season, plus the fact he is adapting playing for a new team after playing with Spurs all his life. What do people expect from him exactly? From the time he was on the pitch, he was our biggest threat and inevitably got tired and was substituted. Any chance we have of staying up will hinge on Andros and a few key players for the rest of the remaining games.

Who is that in response to?  The last 5 posts before this, are all pretty positive?

Who is that in response to?  The last 5 posts before this, are all pretty positive?

Me probably!!!

Me probably!!!

The new Cabella comment was ridiculous. Even Messi would struggle in our team at the minute.

Me probably!!!

The new Cabella comment was ridiculous. Even Messi would struggle in our team at the minute.

He does like a step over though and also seems reluctant to pass to people over lapping him.

Jury's out for me like.

Me probably!!!

He does like a step over though and also seems reluctant to pass to people over lapping him.

Jury's out for me like.

If the defender goes with the man making the overlap then the winger has to keep the ball, not try and force a predictable pass through which we do all the time.

I like him.  I thought we massively overpaid for him and I never particularly rated him.  But TBF, he looks a threat and he is quicker than I thought

When he kept getting isolated with van Aanholt.  He had a decent amount of success.  I'm not sure if they countered that in the second half, or we just went away from it.  But it looked like we were going to score, because of this match up. 

His touch is pretty s***, mind.  When he is facing away from goal, it always seems to be a bit heavy. 

I agree with everything there except his speed...I think he's slower than people give him credit for. He can accelerate well but I don't recall him beating his man much - possibly because he also lacks the strength.

To me it's obvious he's always going to cut inside, easy to defend against that when you know it's going to be happening every time.

Probably the guy i get most excited about being on the ball. He can go past a player & make something happen. Even around the area you know he has a shot on him with either foot. Has to play. Id swap him & Sissoko though if Sissoko plays as the latter can atleast cross from the right.

How is it at all obvious he's 'always' going to cut inside? We've already seen he's pretty handy with his right foot when crossing. I think he shows a good mixture. He's just come back from a hamstring issue and was already lacking fitness, I don't think he's going to be at full tilt yet.

I like him.  I thought we massively overpaid for him and I never particularly rated him.  But TBF, he looks a threat and he is quicker than I thought

His touch is pretty s***, mind.  When he is facing away from goal, it always seems to be a bit heavy. 

I agree with everything there except his speed...I think he's slower than people give him credit for. He can accelerate well but I don't recall him beating his man much - possibly because he also lacks the strength.

To me it's obvious he's always going to cut inside, easy to defend against that when you know it's going to be happening every time.

Agreed on the speed. He's nowhere near as fast as I remembered (imagined?).

Agreed on the speed. He's nowhere near as fast as I remembered (imagined?).

I think/hope, that he is looking a bit slower, because of the hamstring injury.

I thought he looked a bit off the pace against Leicester and he tired fairly quickly, yesterday.  But before that, I thought he looked rapid. 

Hopefully, with another couple of weeks training.  He'll be close to 100%.  As the injury has obviously effected him.