C*CK P*SS P*RDEW

themanupstairs

Aye - it's a fair summary of the bloke's managerial chops. Can generate a wave and ride it. You know sometimes when his team is on a roll they'll beat or have a decent performance against teh next oppo. When it's slump time, Gateshead could turn over any of his teams. Home, away it doesn't matter.

Yep, this is what I always said about him. Thing I didn't realise was that none of it was to do with actually knowing what he's doing with tactics etc, it was just keeping the lads happy when someone in the team happens to win a game for him.

How much of management is down to 'tactics'?

I think someone like SMC is a good coach but perhaps a poor tactician and has poor motivation skills. 

Pardew seems pretty poor at everything but can whip up tremendous team spirit and is generally liked by players.

Aye - it's a fair summary of the bloke's managerial chops. Can generate a wave and ride it. You know sometimes when his team is on a roll they'll beat or have a decent performance against teh next oppo. When it's slump time, Gateshead could turn over any of his teams. Home, away it doesn't matter.

Yep, this is what I always said about him. Thing I didn't realise was that none of it was to do with actually knowing what he's doing with tactics etc, it was just keeping the lads happy when someone in the team happens to win a game for him.

I think someone like SMC is a good coach but perhaps a poor tactician and has poor motivation skills. 

Pardew seems pretty poor at everything but can whip up tremendous team spirit and is generally liked by players.

I don't know TBH. How important a manager is in general is something that's hard to quantify. If you gave Steve Arsenal's squad he would get into the Champions League quite easily I imagine. This season has raised a lot of those type of questions.

The manager is just one piece in the puzzle of the club. We have an embedded culture of failure, and bad transfer policy, so any manager has a hard job on. Then again, to relegate a squad containing as many good players as this would seem to be something uniquely awful on the face of it.

TBH I don't know how important a manager is, 'it depends' is probably the best answer.

He's well liked by players who he'll never drop despite how bad they are, or how badly out of form they are. To be fair not that different than other managers i guess but more importantly.

The mans a horrendous human being, utter scum who made me hate watching the team i love. That's all that counts for me.

I don't know TBH. How important a manager is in general is something that's hard to quantify. If you gave Steve Arsenal's squad he would get into the Champions League quite easily I imagine. This season has raised a lot of those type of questions.

The manager is just one piece in the puzzle of the club. We have an embedded culture of failure, and bad transfer policy, so any manager has a hard job on. Then again, to relegate a squad containing as many good players as this would seem to be something uniquely awful on the face of it.

TBH I don't know how important a manager is, 'it depends' is probably the best answer.

No way man Ian :lol:

I don't know TBH. How important a manager is in general is something that's hard to quantify. If you gave Steve Arsenal's squad he would get into the Championship quite easily I imagine. This season has raised a lot of those type of questions.

No way man Ian :lol:

Fixed it.

I couldn't, no, but a professional football manager could.

Like Van Gaal and the massive money spent on his squad ?

Arsenal have a way better team though

True, so do Chelsea but look where they are. McClaren is worse than most if not all managers in the Premiership. He'd have Arsenal out of the top 4, no doubt about it for me.

Didn't think I was making an outlandish claim there TBH, it was just an example of how it's hard to be sure how important a manager is.

We should know better than any club on the planet how important a good manager is by now. Stop playing, or being, dumb.