C*CK P*SS P*RDEW

themanupstairs

The question of what difference a manager can make, in footy or other 'team' activity, interests me.  I do think that some 'teams' can vary in arange of important characteristics. Off teh top of my head, things like: how self-motivated/engaged with ‘the task’ they are, how much sense of team identity/camaraderie is present, how highly competent individuals are, how self-managing they are/how many natural leaders there are ‘on the pitch’, seem important. If this is right, then a manager’s impact could be quite irrelevant, or could actually mess-up an otherwise high functioning team. However, I assume that even the highest functioning team could be helped by an excellent manager/coach (Shankly came to mind for some reason) who (more often than not) gets the balance right between knowing when to say nowt/take them for a game of golf, and knowing when to take them apart. I think teams like Wenger’s Invincibles, or Dalglish’s Liverpool double-winners (when he was still playing/managing) would probably have done just as well without a manager, but worse with a crap one, particularly one who stamped his authority/made sure he had an influence.

Aye - it's a fair summary of the bloke's managerial chops. Can generate a wave and ride it. You know sometimes when his team is on a roll they'll beat or have a decent performance against teh next oppo. When it's slump time, Gateshead could turn over any of his teams. Home, away it doesn't matter.

Yep, this is what I always said about him. Thing I didn't realise was that none of it was to do with actually knowing what he's doing with tactics etc, it was just keeping the lads happy when someone in the team happens to win a game for him.

How much of management is down to 'tactics'?

I think someone like SMC is a good coach but perhaps a poor tactician and has poor motivation skills. 

Pardew seems pretty poor at everything but can whip up tremendous team spirit and is generally liked by players.

I don't know TBH. How important a manager is in general is something that's hard to quantify. If you gave Steve Arsenal's squad he would get into the Champions League quite easily I imagine. This season has raised a lot of those type of questions.

The manager is just one piece in the puzzle of the club. We have an embedded culture of failure, and bad transfer policy, so any manager has a hard job on. Then again, to relegate a squad containing as many good players as this would seem to be something uniquely awful on the face of it.

TBH I don't know how important a manager is, 'it depends' is probably the best answer.

This post made a lot of us sad.

I had the 'I thought Pardew did a good job with you. Didn't he come 5th?' conversation with a neutral last night.

I think we all have mate.

Aye - it's a fair summary of the bloke's managerial chops. Can generate a wave and ride it. You know sometimes when his team is on a roll they'll beat or have a decent performance against teh next oppo. When it's slump time, Gateshead could turn over any of his teams. Home, away it doesn't matter.

Yep, this is what I always said about him. Thing I didn't realise was that none of it was to do with actually knowing what he's doing with tactics etc, it was just keeping the lads happy when someone in the team happens to win a game for him.

How much of management is down to 'tactics'?

I think someone like SMC is a good coach but perhaps a poor tactician and has poor motivation skills. 

Pardew seems pretty poor at everything but can whip up tremendous team spirit and is generally liked by players.

I don't know TBH. How important a manager is in general is something that's hard to quantify. If you gave Steve Arsenal's squad he would get into the Champions League quite easily I imagine. This season has raised a lot of those type of questions.

The manager is just one piece in the puzzle of the club. We have an embedded culture of failure, and bad transfer policy, so any manager has a hard job on. Then again, to relegate a squad containing as many good players as this would seem to be something uniquely awful on the face of it.

TBH I don't know how important a manager is, 'it depends' is probably the best answer.

This post made a lot of us sad.

:lol: at McClaren getting Arsenal in the Champions League. They'd be where Chelsea are now if they had that arse cake in charge.

I wish a could enjoy this inevitable demise along side Villa going down. We're just too s*** to take any sort of satisfaction from it.

That said, those Villa fans kicking off the other week did crack a smile. Where's your banners now you utter mugs.

Couldn't remember the context of "science against me" so I went back and dug it up. Vintage Pardew:

Pardew said afterwards: “Apart from the last 18 minutes we were in control. To throw it away like that is terribly disappointing because we got the goal. We looked like we were the best team and they get a wonder goal out of nothing really. Then a set play. I felt we were second best for and against. It cost us the game.”

Pardew also had cause for complaint after the equaliser after Anthony Taylor didn’t stop play before Craig Noone struck one of the goals of the day.

Pardew said: “I thought the ref should have given a free-kick before then. He let a little incident go. He put the whistle to his lips and momentarily that makes you stop. And it was that indecision by him that made us back off a bit and gave him a chance to shoot. But it’s one of them, I don’t want to go on about the referee.”

Pardew suffered his third exit in the third round stage of his tenure.

And Pardew reflected: “I am disappointed with my group. We’ve managed to lose a game that we were in control of. We don’t seem to be able to get through this tie (third round day) For the last three years I don’t know, it’s science against me.

“As a group we were up for the game. The first half was difficult because there wasn’t 50,000 in here to assess, I thought we played quite well. We contained them and controlled the game. The start of the second half was terrifice and we looked OK. But the last 20 minutes we didn’t play well and it lost us the game.”

Pardew suggested there were harsh words after the game but didn’t go too far when he said: “One or two things that might have contributed to that. I made it clear in the dressing room. I aint going to relay that to the Press.”

But he felt the defeat came because United stood off their opponents and told the BBC: “We know at home, especially of this quality, you can’t just back off. You have to keep full on. It’s a level when you back off and play a little bit negatively, you are in trouble. Maybe we did that. Certainly they controlled last period of the game - and that is the most crucial.”

:lol: :lol:

Guest thenorthumbrian

They celebrated us getting relegated like they'd won a cup final. Just totally bemusing :lol:

Prior to that day most Newcastle fans were indifferent to Villa fans, and I had assumed they weren't too bothered about us, why would they be ?

As you say, bemusing.

My Newcastle supporting workmates once again tried to convince me the other day that letting the c*** Pardew go was a mistake. Good thing I gave up on their opinions a long time ago.

Winds me up that some people still think Pardew wasn't a problem.

My Newcastle supporting workmates once again tried to convince me the other day that letting the c*** Pardew go was a mistake. Good thing I gave up on their opinions a long time ago.

I'm sure there would be a direct correlation and commonalities between those people and #trump2016 supporters.

Guest firetotheworks

They're either trying to wind you up or you're the manager at Scope.

They're either trying to wind you up or you're the manager at Scope.

:lol: