Newcastle United 2-1 West Ham 16/01/16 - Post-match reaction from page 31

Mike

Pair of donkeys. Wham are a decent hard working side with a couple of stand out players.

I think the fact that Lanzini was out meant that we were able to double up on Payet without exposing ourselves in other areas too much. West Ham are a good side but those two are their only real creative outlets.

Good result, and sounds like an excellent first half at least. What happened in the second half, those who saw it? I know their goal came from a bad backpass but were we too negative generally or just shitting ourselves?

We gifted them a goal. In all honesty the 2nd half was rather controlled, West Ham had only 1 real chance to score again and we had enough to score ourselves. West Ham never really pressed us and everytime we went forward we looked threatening. Our 2nd half performance by no means lived up to that of the 1st half, players tired, Perez didn't really offer us much, but we were in control.

CY24gAlWUAAimi4.jpg:large

Shearer's son on the right.

flashy kernt with his sleeved canada goose

Just about to post that look at me with my jacket that costs over a grand

The fuck is Sheeran doing in a Franklin &  Marshall sweatshirt? I fucked a co-ed in Lancaster, PA showoff.

CY24gAlWUAAimi4.jpg:large

Shearer's son on the right.

flashy kernt with his sleeved canada goose

Just about to post that look at me with my jacket that costs over a grand

The fuck is Sheeran doing in a Franklin &  Marshall sweatshirt? I fucked a co-ed in Lancaster, PA showoff.

It's a brand in the UK.

Some random just stole the name and made a brand out of it. When the college found out, they worked out a friendly agreement.

http://www.today.com/id/45721958/ns/today-today_style/t/why-do-europeans-wear-small-us-colleges-logo/#.VprDD_krKUk

That's the first time for ages that I've felt that we actually outclassed the opposition. We were more than one goal better than them.

Our confidence seemed to take a major boost from the performance in midweek and the arrival of Shelvey. Players were bombing forward in the anticipation of receiving the ball, and Shelvey delivered.

Mitrovic's physical conditioning seems to be improving all the time. He looks a lot trimmer.

Talking to some Hammers in the pub afterwards (christ, couldn't have thought that 30yrs ago!!) and while we were saying that we were so nervous after they got one back, they never thought they'd get anything and it would be a fluke if they did. Wonder how neutrals saw it ?

Fully deserved win and a very good performance, esp in the first half. I have said since the start of the season that we needed a player of similar type to Cabaye, and Shelvey proved that beyond doubt - his passing was nearly always aimed to split their defence and NOT the sideways guff that has characterized our play for the last 2 years...the 2 goals were directly as a result of this and the second, with his 40 yard defence splitter to Janmaat was terrific.

Mitrovic is starting to become a handful for defenders and was a bit unlucky not to score - we need a player like that as a target but he needs to start getting on the scoresheet more often ; Wijnaldum was excellent an must be a cert to fetch a top fee if we go down....getting as many goals as he has in his first PL season from m/f will is a great achievement in what has been a poor side and many top clubs will want him.

Never really looked like losing, but there is an awful lot to still do in order to stay up ; we have some very difficult games and need results, esp away from home, in order to get away from the drop zone - it was never easy to escape in the past, but this year will be the hardest ever because of the financial rewards for PL places next season and ALL the clubs around the bottom third will be busting a gut to stay up.

I just hope Ashley hasn't made one gamble too many this time - we shall see.

That's the first time for ages that I've felt that we actually outclassed the opposition. We were more than one goal better than them.

Our confidence seemed to take a major boost from the performance in midweek and the arrival of Shelvey. Players were bombing forward in the anticipation of receiving the ball, and Shelvey delivered.

Mitrovic's physical conditioning seems to be improving all the time. He looks a lot trimmer.

Absolutely. Haven't felt we have been fluid and a constant threat to the opposition when attacking for so long. It brought back some great memories. Having Shelvey  took the focal pressure of attacking of Sissoko and Wijnaldum and gave us a huge amount of options going forward. Big buzz of signings and the Manure result helped. Hopefully a couple more this week and a result at Watford could really see us turn a corner for the better.

Pleasing to read plenty of comments on KUMB that we were simply the better team today.

Also refreshing to hear Bilic say we were the better team and deserved to win rather than the usual excuses from a defeated manager.