Guilherme Siqueira signs for Valencia on 18 month deal; Lucas Orban to Levante

BeloEmre

It isn't really a panic buy, it's just standard making-do. There's three left-backs on the books including Mbabu; none of them are good enough but we're not gonna spend money on the position whilst there's already so many players there. This is just cover because of the injuries.

Great player. Benfica fans, including me, dream of his return since he left. 430 pages (6447 posts) of speculation and wishful thinking available here:

http://serbenfiquista.com/forum/index.php?topic=58027.0

Jumping to the last page, you can see the disappointment of potentially losing Siqueira to you guys.

Siqueira would add to any Premier League squad imo. He's got technique, ball control and always gets to make some impressive runs through the left flank. Offensively he contributes very well and defensively gets the job done. It's hard to get a better player to the left back position without spending 15M+. There are not that many equally good options and we know it well (Fábio Coentrão -> bunch of crap -> Siqueira -> bunch of crap -> hopefully Grimaldo turns out to be good).

Not sure about his current morale but the ability surely is there. Sign Siqueira and if you don't like him we can arrange a trade for Jotenko.

Great player. Benfica fans, including me, dream of his return since he left. 430 pages (6447 posts) of speculation and wishful thinking available here:

Jumping to the last page, you can see the disappointment of potentially losing Siqueira to you guys.

Siqueira would add to any Premier League squad imo. He's got technique, ball control and always gets to make some impressive runs through the left flank. Offensively he contributes very well and defensively gets the job done. It's hard to get a better player to the left back position without spending 15M+. There are not that many equally good options and we know it well (Fábio Coentrão -> bunch of crap -> Siqueira -> bunch of crap -> hopefully Grimaldo turns out to be good).

Not sure about his current morale but the ability surely is there. Sign Siqueira and if you don't like him we can arrange a trade for Jotenko.

You got it wrong, if you want Siquera you have to promise to KEEP Jotenko.

:fwap:

I'm wondering, my memory is hazy. Did we ever adequately replace Enrique?

No. Best left back we've had since Bernard IMO.

Santon was meant to be Enrique's replacement, but like so many attempts at replacing important players, it was a shite attempt that was never going to work. A, because he was never good enough and B, because he was entirely different sort of full-back to Enrique.

On the whole, we've failed at replacing the majority of our high-profile departures since being promoted. The replacements of those departed since 2011 are particularly messy, whilst persisting with others who should have long been disposed of. That's why the squad is in the state it's in.

Carroll --- Ba (success)

Enrique --- Santon (rubbish), then Haidara (rubbish), then Dummett (rubbish)

Nolan --- Cabaye (success)

Ba --- Remy (fucked off), then Riviere (rubbish), then Mitrovic (4 goals...)

Cabaye --- De Jong (crock), Colback (rubbish), then Shelvey (nowhere near Cabaye)

Debuchy --- Janmaat (okay)

Ben Arfa --- Cabella (rubbish), then Thauvin (rubbish), then Townsend (nowhere near HBA)

Wijnaldum is obviously a very good signing but he didn't really directly replace anyone. He's not like anyone we've had since we came up, I don't think. Purely in terms of finding like-for-like replacements, we've done a shite, shite job.

Lucky as fuck that Perez turned out to be a gem, like.

Santon was kind of the opposite to Dummett. A talented footballer and athlete who was consistently at fault for goals and didn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

Didn't really do enough going forward either, mind. I liked him, though.