Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I aggree long term that we won't get anywhere till ashley is gone. Basically the issue is that after 3 utterly dreadful seasons finally ending in relegation Ashley has FINALLY realised his model of buying players in and managers is utter pap and probably reckons that to get premier league money he actually needs a good manager. I still largely think that the club will continue to not give much of a fuck for its fans until ashley is gone but may as well enjoy a brief time with an actually good manager.

Remains to be seen whether realises anything. As ever, it takes being backed into corner to make remotely appropriate decisions and with Rafa coming to them, they're probably to thick to see beyond the fact he gives us the best chance of a 1st time return. I'm leaving a season of him in charge before I even about him staying and building long term because these twats aren't in the habit of building on anything so unfortunately I get get excited just yet.

I'm sure we're past the point where this was going to fall through through either side screwing up, I would imagine that the issues to be sorted now are minor and the only major possible problem would be a better offer coming in from another club.

We have everything going for us, Rafa has been here and the fans love him and he knows it, nobody should underestimate the value of that.  We're a potentially huge club which just needs to be run properly and Rafa seems to be the type who will tap into that and has the self confidence to believe he can pull it off.

We're down on our knees and seem willing to change the way we're run and seem willing to go with what Rafa thinks is a blue print to success.  Amazingly, Rafa seems to get on with our cretins and seems to have a reasonable working relationship with them.

I'm quite pleased that nobody is rushing into this and are instead sorting everything out before making what is almost certainly a major commitment from both sides.  Them taking time gives me more hope that they will get this one right and that we'll soon be heading in the right direction.  Far too often we try to build on sand and we all know what happens when we do that.  For once, we're putting in solid foundations and we can only be the better for it and I'm still excited about our future.

I think we can have a good tilt at one of the cup competitions next year. Rafa's outstanding in knockout formats, and with a kind draw we can certainly give it a good go. If someone as horrendous as Alan Pardew can get to Wembley I don't see why we can't.

He's almost an instant legend just for being here.

Thing is though Keegan and SBR are more popular and more of a legend in the eyes of our supporters. If Rafa got us promoted and won us a cup during his time here he would instantly become the best manager ever without a doubt as he would have done what SBR and Keegan never could do.

Aside from obviously being brilliant for us, this is really interesting for the world of football in general. One of best, most highly decorated managers in the world choosing to manage in a second tier league because of his belief in the club and the desire to build it from the ground up.

Aside from obviously being brilliant for us, this is really interesting for the world of football in general. One of best, most highly decorated managers in the world choosing to manage in a second tier league because of his belief in the club and the desire to build it from the ground up.

Absolutely.

Just waiting for SEMTEX to confirm that it's not happening

Personally I'm waiting on BENITEZ to confirm that it is happening, rather than believing shit put out by the daily mail. Especially when it's obvious they're just regurgitating the same shit for an entire week.

Personally I'm waiting on BENITEZ to confirm that it is happening, rather than believing s*** put out by the daily mail. Especially when it's obvious they're just regurgitating the same s*** for an entire week.

It's more than the daily mail tbf, besides the bloke in question from the mail has a good track record. I know we have dealt with a lot of crap over the years but it's quite clearly happening short of a last minute change of heart from either side.

Love the way he hasn't even been confirmed yet, or indeed actually got us out of the championship (wont be easy) but we are already discussing him winning a cup and outdoing KK and Bobby :lol:

Personally I'm waiting on BENITEZ to confirm that it is happening, rather than believing s*** put out by the daily mail. Especially when it's obvious they're just regurgitating the same s*** for an entire week.

It's more than the daily mail tbf, besides the bloke in question from the mail has a good track record. I know we have dealt with a lot of crap over the years but it's quite clearly happening short of a last minute change of heart from either side.

It's not even just whether they're reporting things they've been told by worthwhile sources.

The problem is the #1 source at NUFC is Mike Ashley. Everything trickles down from him and penfold. Now IDK if you know this, but Mike Ashley is a cunt, and one that fucks people over at every possible opportunity. Even if at some point along the line talks were going amazingly, it wouldn't shock me at all if MA decided to fuck it all up before everything was signed.

It's clear as day Caulkin and "Craig Hope" have been told everything has been going swimmingly at the start of the week, and then perhaps again yesterday. They're going to use their morsels of ITK and stretch them out over as many sensationalist headlines as possible, and it's all irrelevant, because until it's signed, we have Wildcard Mike Ashley deciding on whether he's going to fuck it all up or not.

Nothing new really, but

Rafa Benitez is on the verge of agreeing to stay at Newcastle United .

The Spaniard has already agreed personal terms, and a three-year deal, and will hold further talks with owner Mike Ashley this week to finalise a new structure at the club which will allow him the final say on transfers.

A key stumbling block since relegation was confirmed last week, is the future of chief scout Graham Carr, who has overseen Newcastle’s transfers over the last five years.

Benitez , who wants more managerial influence on recruitment, is keen to sign up Frank McParland, the former Liverpool scout who is currently head of recruitment at Glasgow Rangers.

That could mean the end for Carr who signed an eight year deal four years ago in the wake of the successes of players like Yohan Cabaye and Moussa Sissoko.

Ashley is reluctant to cut ties with Carr completely but the former Northampton Town boss has come under increasing pressure with a number of indifferent, predominantly French signings over the last couple of seasons. Despite spending more than £100million in the last 18 months, Benitez was unable to save Newcastle from relegation.

The former Liverpool boss, whose family remain in the North West, has been linked with jobs at Everton and Valencia but has now accepted the Newcastle role will be his best offer.

He is eager to rebuild a squad over this summer which will take the Championship by storm, and then compete in the Premier League.

Sissoko and Georginio Wijnaldum, linked with moves to Arsenal and Southampton, are certain to lead the exodus.

Papiss Cisse and Cheick Tiote are hoping to secure moves to the Far East.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rafa-benitez-close-agreeing-deal-8019367