Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Would he have got a game for us this season anyway?

He'd have been in Murphy's position as 3rd choice and he's barely had a look in

If you look at things like that no young player would ever get a chance. Southampton regularly give kids a chance over more experienced players and they reap the rewards of that.

I don't think Southampton have ever given a young kid a go as a striker though have they?

It's an incredibly important position to just give someone a chance, especially when we've got Gayle scoring regularly and Mitrovic not doing terribly

I don't think Southampton have ever given a young kid a go as a striker though have they?

I do agree it is harder to give young players a chance when they're strikers, especially when they are pretty small as well but what's the point in even having a youth set up if you're never going to give the talented ones a chance?

It's an incredibly important position to just give someone a chance, especially when we've got Gayle scoring regularly and Mitrovic not doing terribly

Is this serious?

People give [insert local player's name] too easy a ride just because he's local.

People give [insert local player's name] too hard a time just because he's local.

Delete as applicable.

Is this serious?

:lol:

I was too slow with the edit.

My point is that although Southampton have regularly used youngsters in their recent set up I'm pretty sure they've always used an experienced striker in Lambert, Pelle,  Austin, Long and even Osvaldo

I've only seen him a few times so this could be well off the mark but the times I have seen him his link up play seemed fairly decent and he has quick feet so would he be much worse than Perez/Diame are doing in that role just behind the striker now?

I've only seen him a few times so this could be well off the mark but the times I have seen him his link up play seemed fairly decent and he has quick feet so would he be much worse than Perez/Diame are doing in that role just behind the striker now?

Only watched highlights of Barnsley but I get the same feeling. Looks good on the ball and seems to play deeper than I expected.

Would have to ask Barnsley fans like as this is like a total of about 5 minutes of footage :lol:

Kid Icarus and HandsDownHisPants, and others seem very adamant that Rafa will never play two-strikers/4-4-2. Whilst, I tend to believe what people do rather than what they say, this interview by Ian Holloway in August is worth a re-watch. Basically, he says he expects the players to know one system really well, but will play others, if indicated/to fit in key players (that's my reading anyway). Relevant bit about formations is about half-way through.

Err, I've never said this like :lol:

He literally said a week or so ago that he was wanting to try Mitrovic out with Gayle. My issue, if I've got one, would be people saying he's too reserved and that we'd be blowing teams out the water if we switched to 4-4-2. This despite us being top of the league and the league's highest scorers playing the system that Rafa's played since Valencia (?)

It's always worked for him and if he thinks it's what we're best playing with at the moment I'm not going to argue.

The worry I have with this 4-2-3-1 is that it's quite rigid, we rarely see the supposed no10 get beyond the forward. Also the way people are going on it's like they are stuck in that formation and that pattern stays rigid and slides up and down the pitch as one. Many teams play with a nominal 2 up front but it's really more of a target man and support striker role and one of them dropping in when the opposition have the ball which could be called a 4-4-1-1 or even a 4-2-3-1 if the central two never ever ever get in advance of the forward.

Er - they once played a 17 year old against Arsenal and he scored a hat-trick....his name was Shearer I believe...

Er - they once played a 17 year old against Arsenal and he scored a hat-trick....his name was Shearer I believe...

You know what he's getting at, he means recently (I'd guess since Bale) and I'd guess a bigger reason could be the quality of the kids we are talking about, the coaching they've received etc to get them to that stage, theirs were good enough. It's hardly like we've had floods of kids leave our academy and make it at premiership level even with other clubs.

You know what he's getting at, he means recently (I'd guess since Bale) and I'd guess a bigger reason could be the quality of the kids we are talking about, the coaching they've received etc to get them to that stage, theirs were good enough. It's hardly like we've had floods of kids leave our academy and make it at premiership level even with other clubs.

The results of NUFC's Academy over the past 15 years has been dire...esp in a football-mad area like the NE, but in fairness its a major problem generally because kids are not playing the game as much, they are not receiving the sort of encouragement and coaching at schools and many schools have sold off playing fields. There are too many off-field distractions in prosperous countries now.

Not many kids make it without getting lots of games when they're 19/20/21

They also have to be good enough to get the games.

Are kids in Southampton just naturally better than kids in other parts of England then?

Are kids in Southampton just naturally better than kids in other parts of England then?

Possibly a better scouting system and better coached or are you saying that we would have had players like they've produced purely by chucking kids in ?

Possibly a better scouting system and better coached or are you saying that we would have had players like they've produced purely by chucking kids in ?

Well we'll never know but it is all about the culture of the club. If kids see guys from the academy getting a chance they'll become more motivated because they'll begin to think that it's possible if they work hard that they'll get a chance too

Well we'll never know but it is all about the culture of the club. If kids see guys from the academy getting a chance they'll become more motivated because they'll begin to think that it's possible if they work hard that they'll get a chance too

They'll get that chance if they are good enough.

They'll get that chance if they are good enough.

So Paul Dummett is the best player our academy has produced in the last 10 years? No offence to him like as he's decent defensively a lot of the time but they may as well save some money and disband the whole thing if that's all the return they're getting

Forgot about Carroll but the point remains

You're forgetting the likes of Shane Ferguson, Jak Alnwick, Sammy Ameobi, Bigirimana and there'll be more. All given a chance but just weren't good enough.

It's one of the things I'm most interested with Rafa, seeing if there is a change in how we bring kids through.