Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

You know he'll have been devising a plan all week to get something on Monday, no way did he just start thinking about it today.

This sort of thing unites a fan base. One of the worst things about the last few years for me is how estranged from my fellow NUFC fans I've felt. Now we can all unite in support of Rafa and get on with loving the club again as a collective. Who knows, if we stay up and Ashley keeps his promises we might even see the return of a lot of fans who had walked away from SJP for a while, and get a real atmosphere back. We've all seen it before, this club is a juggernaut once it gets rolling.

Aye but juggernauts crash big, we've seen it all before.

What's your point, Mick?

A mate of mine today said he would take Rafa and relegation than staying up with SMC and another 3 or 4 years of him.

By the way if we do go down, I could see a scenario where Rafa stays and takes us back up. Its about the project with him!

There is no way Rafa manages us in The Championship, he is far too good for that. Absolutely vital we stay up because next season could be class

Absolutely love the excitement it's generated. Last night my whole family and girlfriend were like "Why are you so hyper?"[emoji38]walking round doing Jamaican accents just cause we were going to eat at Turtle Bay and generally being stupid. So glad we have him in charge. Fingers crossed it works.

Peter Schmeichel ‏@Pschmeichel1

What makes Newcastle think that Rafa Benitez will get them out the predicament they're in? If I were them, I'd go for Nigel Pearson.

Honestly man, how can you be that thick?

Really don't get this race to the bottom mentality. Why pick the best coach possible when you can have someone who can frequently finish lower?

What makes Newcastle think that Rafa Benitez will get them out the predicament they're in? If I were them, I'd go for Nigel Pearson.

Whatever we do some will always try to put a negative spin on it.  Can't believe they are feeling sorry for McClaren - he was clearly out of his depth and devoid of any ideas - he should have walked but he held on and will no doubt get a nice pay out.  He's a few millions richer than he was 9 months ago - poor thing.

The appointment of Benitez will at least excite the players as well as the supporters, which wouldn't be the case with Pearson, whatever his abilities.

I can understand Schmeichel's point, even though I don't agree with it. It will have been a while since Benitez managed a club in our situation, and with this standard  of player. He's a very good long term appointment, but he also has the short-term task of keeping us up this season with the existing squad.

But it's important that the doom and gloom has been lifted.

just dont think its worth getting excited, ashley won't change.

besides, we are not going to get sexy football from Rafa.

dont get me wrong its the best appointment he made so far but that aint saying much.

Ok it's taken a bumper TV deal to happen but I disagree.  The spending of 80+ Mil and the appointment of Rafa tells me this is a change.  We have Rafa Benitez as our manager !! - sexy football our not he's a brilliant manager.

Woke up at 5.30am this morning and then remembered we had actually got Rafa Benitez as manager. Safe to say I just couldn't get back to sleep after that. I'm still like a kid at xmas.

just dont think its worth getting excited, ashley won't change.

besides, we are not going to get sexy football from Rafa.

dont get me wrong its the best appointment he made so far but that aint saying much.

Ashley already has changed, we've spent just under £80 million in a year and we've appointed our first manager on merit since Keegan came in.  As for sexy football, who gives a shit?  Surely the only thing we need is effective football and I'm sure we now have a very good chance of seeing that.

I've got no idea why Pearson was and still seems to be being chucked about as someone who could do a job. He done f***ing s**** with Leicester in the PL apart from 2 month of the previous seasons and has done f*** all else of real note anywhere.

Still giddy.

Yep - still reading articles on it as I cannot quite believe it.  Much like when Joe Kinnear was made manager - just doesn't seem real - obviously for different reasons. :D