Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

That's what he wants. A club that will allow him time to build something and a club that will appreciate him. He hasn't really had that since he left us. Although I know the majority of Inter Milan fans liked him and were sorry with the way he was treated by their club and certain players who just downed tools on him because they still had a massive hard-on for Mourinho.*cough* Matterazzi *cough*

He'll get all the time he needs here and few fans will side with players over the manager unless the manager is a fraud like Pardew.

They way he was treated by Chelsea fans was an absolute embarrassment like. Mind you that lot spend their spare time stopping blacks from using public transport.

Can't get over how lush it's going to be seeing him in the dugout on Monday.

Delighted he's here and hope he does well. The message he gives in that interview is quite clear. Forget Ashley, McClaren or next season or what could happen. All that matters is these ten games and everyone has to pull in the same direction, if that happens we've got a chance.

Crazy how much is riding on these next ten games man, more than just relegation/survival really when you consider the optimism next summer if we stay up (and Rafa stays) versus the utter despair if we go down and Rafa leaves and we most likely end up someone awful  :lol:

Redcustard has said most of what I was going to say.  Really love this man, and same for me, if we didn't have Klopp I'd be so jealous. 

Don't expect your players to like him though, Rafa doesn't get touchy feely or arm around the shoulder with players, he expects them to be professional and if they need a 'cuddle' it's usually his assistant that does it.  Thus, in 2005 when we won the EC Jamie Carragher said to Houllier 'it was your team that done it boss'.  It wasn't, we won that cup with Rafas know how and coaching and two great Spaniards he brought in, Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia, but it seems that Carragher carried his dislike right through.  In Rafas last few seasons Gerrard and Carragher gained far too much player power with the then CE Purslow, hence the appointment of Hodgson, who Carragher thought was a brilliant manager.

Rafa is as honest as the day is long, is intelligent, and can be very witty, but he's a control freak, he likes to build so don't be surprised if he tries to get control of your academy.  On the pitch you can expect all kinds of football, Rafa has more than a plan b, his go to c,d and e.  We played some of our sexiest football under Rafa, especially once he brought Torres in.

The press never had a good word to say about him when he was here, but that was because Ferguson hated him and we all know who controlled the press in his day.  Hopefully, that's all changed now the man is gone.

His family still live here on Merseyside and they are a much liked and respected family, I've often seen Rafa in town having a meal with his family, but never in the bars.  You have a great man and brilliant manager, who, given the chance, will take you forward.

To be fair though mate. Carra and Gerrard never really questioned his ability as a manager though. Just yesterday Carra said he was the best tactical manager he'd ever worked under. They just didn't warm to him as a person. Basically because Rafa never allowed himself to get too close to the players. He was the boss and he made sure they knew it.

Didn't stop Carragher refusing to play right back the season we were going for the title, if you remember Mash played there, not very well.

Gerrard and Carra were the heart of the club in their time so I will always be a big fan of both, but it doesn't stop me seeing that some of the things Carra did and said  were out of order.  Anyway, he's NUFC manager now and good luck to both.

Crazy how much is riding on these next ten games man, more than just relegation/survival really when you consider the optimism next summer if we stay up (and Rafa stays) versus the utter despair if we go down and Rafa leaves and we most likely end up someone awful  :lol:

Aye, it's crazy really. I'd be absolutely buzzing for next season if we stay up and Rafa is still here (never thought I'd say those words) but if we go down it'll go back to not giving a f*** because we'll get some second rate Championship manager in again.

Guest Redcustard

They way he was treated by Chelsea fans was an absolute embarrassment like. Mind you that lot spend their spare time stopping blacks from using public transport.

Can't get over how lush it's going to be seeing him in the dugout on Monday.

Horrible club. Horrible fan base.

I'm still struggling to get my head around this, like. It's absolutely mental. It's given me back the thing that I thought was lost when it comes to NUFC; hope. Genuinely can't recall anything like this, it seems like we've been starved of any enjoyment for so long.

Guest Redcustard

Redcustard has said most of what I was going to say.  Really love this man, and same for me, if we didn't have Klopp I'd be so jealous. 

Don't expect your players to like him though, Rafa doesn't get touchy feely or arm around the shoulder with players, he expects them to be professional and if they need a 'cuddle' it's usually his assistant that does it.  Thus, in 2005 when we won the EC Jamie Carragher said to Houllier 'it was your team that done it boss'.  It wasn't, we won that cup with Rafas know how and coaching and two great Spaniards he brought in, Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia, but it seems that Carragher carried his dislike right through.  In Rafas last few seasons Gerrard and Carragher gained far too much player power with the then CE Purslow, hence the appointment of Hodgson, who Carragher thought was a brilliant manager.

Rafa is as honest as the day is long, is intelligent, and can be very witty, but he's a control freak, he likes to build so don't be surprised if he tries to get control of your academy.  On the pitch you can expect all kinds of football, Rafa has more than a plan b, his go to c,d and e.  We played some of our sexiest football under Rafa, especially once he brought Torres in.

The press never had a good word to say about him when he was here, but that was because Ferguson hated him and we all know who controlled the press in his day.  Hopefully, that's all changed now the man is gone.

His family still live here on Merseyside and they are a much liked and respected family, I've often seen Rafa in town having a meal with his family, but never in the bars.  You have a great man and brilliant manager, who, given the chance, will take you forward.

To be fair though mate. Carra and Gerrard never really questioned his ability as a manager though. Just yesterday Carra said he was the best tactical manager he'd ever worked under. They just didn't warm to him as a person. Basically because Rafa never allowed himself to get too close to the players. He was the boss and he made sure they knew it.

Didn't stop Carragher refusing to play right back the season we were going for the title, if you remember Mash played there, not very well.

Gerrard and Carra were the heart of the club in their time so I will always be a big fan of both, but it doesn't stop me seeing that some of the things Carra did and said  were out of order.  Anyway, he's NUFC manager now and good luck to both.

No I agree, there was some unsavoury things going on at the time. Anyway, that's in the past. Whats done is done. No point dwelling on it now mate.

Good luck to Rafa anyway, apart from when he faces us that is. ;)

Guest neesy111

I'm still struggling to get my head around this, like. It's absolutely mental. It's given me back the thing that I thought was lost when it comes to NUFC; hope. Genuinely can't recall anything like this, it seems like we've been starved of any enjoyment for so long.

This is basically me.

Guest Redcustard

You Geordies giddy-ness reminds me of our lot when we'd just appointed Jurgen Klopp. ;D It's a mad feelin all of a sudden being given massive hope isn't it?

Guest Roger Kint

Finally got round to reading everything about his interviews and watched the club video of it. Its staggering how much confidence he gives off compared to down on his luck Steve, if his self belief rubs off on our gutless mob then we have a great chance of staying up as he will have us looking far more like a team than we have been. I especially liked the bit about his new staff, really do sound like we will be a lot more organised once they can teach the back four how to stand in a reasonably straight line. All very positive stuff from Benitez. Still amazed we got him tbh :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Will the 2pm press conference be shown live anywhere? Sky Sports News usually show them in full don't they?

If not live i would guess Soccer Saturday will show bits of it during their pre match round ups

You Geordies giddy-ness reminds me of our lot when we'd just appointed Jurgen Klopp. ;D It's a mad feelin all of a sudden being given massive hope isn't it?

We've had absolutely no hope for so long it's ridiculous.

Guest Redcustard

We've had absolutely no hope for so long it's ridiculous.

I'm genuinely made up for you's mate. Your not a bad lot really.

Guest firetotheworks

Give him time and you'll grow to love him like we still do.

I'm going to be watching you very carefully from here on in. It'll be very interesting to see how Rafa deals with being in a relegation scrap. You've just got to hope that 10 games is enough to keep you up. The tyne and wear derby is going to be a really tasty affair, what with everything that is riding on it and the fact there is absolutely no love lost between Rafa and Fat Sam.

Thanks for your posts, they've been really insightful. How does Rafa tend to be in this sort of situation? I know he's never been in a relegation battle before, but I mean more in a backs to the wall/everything looks lost sort of way (obviously discounting the Champions League final. :lol:)

Guest Redcustard

f*** off Liverpool fans! Making me feel all warm and wanting to cuddle you. f*** off!

Don't be like that mate. Come on give us a cuddle. :smitten:  :D

Fuck off Liverpool fans! Making me feel all warm and wanting to cuddle you. Fuck off!

Seriously though...our two clubs have done alright with our connected personnel (obviously some not so good). KK, Beardsley, Terry Mac, Belamy, Hamman, Carroll :iamatwat:, Rush :iamatwat: etc etc

Hopefully this is one of the better connections :)

John Barnes balled hard for both clubs.

f*** off Liverpool fans! Making me feel all warm and wanting to cuddle you. f*** off!

Seriously though...our two clubs have done alright with our connected personnel (obviously some not so good). KK, Beardsley, Terry Mac, Belamy, Hamman, Carroll :iamatwat:, Rush :iamatwat: etc etc

Hopefully this is one of the better connections :)

Keegan, Dalglish, Souness, now Benitez.

Guest Redcustard

Give him time and you'll grow to love him like we still do.

I'm going to be watching you very carefully from here on in. It'll be very interesting to see how Rafa deals with being in a relegation scrap. You've just got to hope that 10 games is enough to keep you up. The tyne and wear derby is going to be a really tasty affair, what with everything that is riding on it and the fact there is absolutely no love lost between Rafa and Fat Sam.

Thanks for your posts, they've been really insightful. How does Rafa tend to be in this sort of situation? I know he's never been in a relegation battle before, but I mean more in a backs to the wall/everything looks lost sort of way (obviously discounting the Champions League final. :lol:)

Errrrmmm... Couldn't really say mate as we were never really in that position in the league. Probably the nearest we came to that was the first set of CL games against Chelsea. Where we had to dig deep and eventually came out as winners over the two legs.

I'm genuinely made up for you's mate. Your not a bad lot really.

I've always had good times with Liverpool supporters going back decades to when you were playing Forrest at Wembley and we were playing Chelsea and both sets of fans had a mass game of football in Trafalgar Square.  I once missed the first half at Annfield when we had a lock in at the Arkle and we couldn't buy our own beers because your fans kept buying them for us.  Your fans ended up in the away end singing Newcastle songs at a time when opposition fans used to kick 10 bells out of each other.